Fenix L2D-CE

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am considering a Fenix L2D-CE. I have a review and it looks pretty good. Can anyone suggest a retailer that has this in stock? It looks like they are about the same price everywhere, but I just want to select a good reliable retailer.

wintermute

Enlightened
No surprise here...

+1 for Fenix-store here as well. Official North American Distributor of Fenix.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
BrightGuy.com
Lighthound.com
Fenix-Store.com

not in any particular order. well, yes, in the chronological order in which i've done business with them, from oldest to most recent. all provide absolutely excellent customer service, IME (in my experience).

if you want an OP reflector (which i'd personally recommend), then, at this point in time, you need to drop BG from the above list. LH and F-S currently have quite a few models w/ OP (orange peel) aka textured reflectors. F-S, at this time, has some limited qty of Q2 Cree's for a premium price.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on www.Fenix-Store.com. Great prices and selection. Great service, and fast free shipping. Make sure to use the CPF8 discount code at check out. I personally like to call David or Gary and place my order over the phone. Gives you a chance to meet the person you are doing business with. Both great guys.

ThomasH

Newly Enlightened
Hi Jas,

Do be aware that your L2D-CE will probably have a little "bug", where when you either switch to 'low' or when you push the tailcap switch with the bezel loosened so it comes on in 'low', it will flash very brightly, briefly, before it goes into 'low'.

Kinda pissed me off when i got mine, because none of the reviews mentioned it, but when I brought it up here online, everybody said their's did it, and that was 'just how it was'.

Still my favorite flashlight, hands down, but I got one for an usher who couldn't use it because of the flash. But I didn't mind, that meant I had another one for myself!

I still laugh out loud almost every time I push the switch in 'Turbo' (and I am alone). :-D I can't believe how much light it puts out!

Just so you know!

- Thomas

redsun

Newly Enlightened
Another vote for the Fenix store. Enjoy your light; it's almost TOO bright to use on my bike... Nah... How is that even possible? How could anything be too bright? Maybe a slab of Slow Glass with a 10 hour delay...

wintermute

Enlightened
Still my favorite flashlight, hands down, but I got one for an usher who couldn't use it because of the flash. But I didn't mind, that meant I had another one for myself!

Can't the usher just remember to cover the lens of the flashlight with his other hand, or against his body when it turns it on low. That's what I do late at night to prevent the loss of my night vision.

Last edited:

katx

Newly Enlightened
I too will recommend Fenix Store. (I only have one Fenix and that one bought from Fenix Store.)

The ordering went smooth. The delivery was fast.

I had a couple issues with the light and I emailed the Store. Although the reply did not respond to my specific questions, the CSR offered to exchange the light. I decided not to go through that exercise and instead the wonderful people from this forum (hi Wintermute) helped resolve my concerns.

TorchEnvy

Newly Enlightened
Hi Jas,

Do be aware that your L2D-CE will probably have a little "bug", where when you either switch to 'low' or when you push the tailcap switch with the bezel loosened so it comes on in 'low', it will flash very brightly, briefly, before it goes into 'low'.

Kinda pissed me off when i got mine, because none of the reviews mentioned it, but when I brought it up here online, everybody said their's did it, and that was 'just how it was'.

- Thomas

Yes, that flash issue is annoying. I guess I wouldn't call it a deal breaker, but it just seems to be an odd behavior. I wish the low beam was a bit lower, too, like that of my HDS.

I was using mine last night to reposition a sprinkler and hose on my lawn. If I grasped something in the same hand as I was holding the light (like the garden hose) in such a way that a bit of flexing force was pressed upon the Fenix, it would drop down to low beam. (I was using medium & high, not turbo.) Same thing with a cigar-type hold on the light between my middle & index finger while closing my hand around the doorknob: squeezing hard enough to turn that stubborn knob also knocked me down to low beam.

After fiddling with the tailcap and head for 30 seconds, it seemed to quit doing that. Rotating the head out of turbo mode apparently isn't enough to make it impervious to this odd drop-down-when-squeezed thing unless you back away from turbo even more.

flyingbrass

Newly Enlightened
>Rotating the head out of turbo mode apparently isn't enough to make it impervious to this odd drop-down-when-squeezed thing unless you back away from turbo even more.

As you said, you weren't unscrewing the head far enough. Unless it is backed off a 1/3 of a turn or more there's enough play in the threads for the head to make momentary "turbo" contact when pulled rearward or pressed sideways. Then when released the light returns to low mode, as it should.

s13tsilvia

Newly Enlightened
yes as i live in australia i found an aussie online store that i paid 75 bucks aussie which i thought was pretty good, considerin they retail for 55ish bucks US and thats without shipping.
Super light, and as AA are easy to find over here thats what made me get it.

greenLED

Flashaholic
>Rotating the head out of turbo mode apparently isn't enough to make it impervious to this odd drop-down-when-squeezed thing unless you back away from turbo even more.

As you said, you weren't unscrewing the head far enough. Unless it is backed off a 1/3 of a turn or more there's enough play in the threads for the head to make momentary "turbo" contact when pulled rearward or pressed sideways. Then when released the light returns to low mode, as it should.

That makes perfect sense. There's nothing wrong with the lights, then, it's how we're using them. :eek:

TorchEnvy

Newly Enlightened
Good grief. :shakehead All this time I was actually talking about my P2D, not an L2D-CE. These Fenix names are starting to run together for me. Same logic obviously applies, however.

Then again, I expect my L2D-CE to arrive tomorrow, so I guess I already know that it can't be squeezed much, either unless you're a good 1/3 backed off of turbo! :wave: