Fenix LD25, LD40 (link to pic thread)

noisebeam

Newly Enlightened
Keep in mind that the LD40 has a more focused beam. In terms of throw the high mode should be close to the LD20's turbo.
As it is now the LD20 is a bit too throwy, but usable. I want some spill for cycling. The older L2D had a bit more spill relative to the LD20 and even though the LD20 is theoretically very slightly brighter, it's smaller hotspot and less spill result in me preferring the L2D.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
noisebeam,

Just wonder here: does really better throw result in less spill? :thinking:
And what do you mean with "less"?

Regards, Patric

noisebeam

Newly Enlightened
noisebeam,

Just wonder here: does really better throw result in less spill? :thinking:
And what do you mean with "less"?

Regards, Patric
I don't know. I do know that the L2D has a better spill vs. LD20 and the LD20 has a tighter hotspot and better throw.

As I said before I may just get the LD40 as a solid versatile flashlight. Having use for the bike would be excellent, but today I am fine with the L2D and a spare set of batteries.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was under the impression that the LD20's spill was actually brighter than the L2D's as was it's hotspot. The difference was in the L2D beam and hotspot diameter both being wider, so the light was spread out over a slightly wider area..

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The reason I ask is because there are great throwers with as well narrow and wide beams, and I don't think the throwing ability has to do with spill brightness (for a given total output). But a narrower beam will make the spill brighter.
For a thrower I prefer a narrower beam size because a brighter spill will be better at the distance.
Does L2D have narrower beam width and therefore brighter spill? OR: did you mean that L2D has wider beam and that's better for cycling?

Last edited:

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I meant that the L2D has a wider beam both overall and also concerning hotspot size, which is often considered better for a bar mounted bike light.

The LD20 however, is driven harder on Turbo, but lower on the low/med/high modes, so there is a more noticable difference. Also it has a tighter hotspot and spill profile, so that both are brighter and so more suited to throw, perfect for a head mounted bike light.

noisebeam

Newly Enlightened
I meant that the L2D has a wider beam both overall and also concerning hotspot size, which is often considered better for a bar mounted bike light.

The LD20 however, is driven harder on Turbo, but lower on the low/med/high modes, so there is a more noticable difference. Also it has a tighter hotspot and spill profile, so that both are brighter and so more suited to throw, perfect for a head mounted bike light.
Yeah, that describes it. I only bar mount and will never head mount so I prefer a wider beam. I actually returned an LD20 for an L2D because of this.

CyberCT

Enlightened
I wonder how yellowish the "neutral" white will actually look. Like a regular 4300k car headlight bulb? That's a little lame.

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder how yellowish the "neutral" white will actually look. Like a regular 4300k car headlight bulb? That's a little lame.

It'll most likely look exactly like the tint on the TK20 (their earlier neutral light). That tint is quite pleasant to view - it's a soft white hotspot that fades to very light yellow in the spill. It falls squarely in the middle of cool-white and incandescent and is almost identical to a Quark neutral. I find viewing objects illuminated with a TK20 much easier on the eyes than viewing the same object illuminated with a cool-white, plus the color rendition is a lot better. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the LD40 will keep the same color temperature of the TK20.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast

Firstly, I know of no one that calls a 4300K CCT HID bulb yellow.
Second, Fenix is moving from a neutral neutral-white, to a warm neutral-white.
it should ever so slightly yellow by day, and pretty good outdoors at night.

5A was the sweet spot.

Trancersteve

Newly Enlightened
As a lover of AA cells I am keeping my eye very closely on the LD40.

Run times on max look great.

There seriously needs to be more lights that run on 4 AA cells. 4 AA cells are a good number to use.. nice runtimes and not too heavy for carrying a backup set.

CyberCT

Enlightened
As a lover of AA cells I am keeping my eye very closely on the LD40.

Run times on max look great.

There seriously needs to be more lights that run on 4 AA cells. 4 AA cells are a good number to use.. nice runtimes and not too heavy for carrying a backup set.

I agree completely! The LD40 looks ideal and a great compromise between the smaller & bigger Fenix lights. It's a shame the days and nights are getting cooler. I'd love to take the LD40 and try it for night snorkeling. It'd be a great replacement for the LD20 I lend to my friend for the same application.

offroad

Newly Enlightened
LD40 looks like an awesome practical torch, can't wait for a full review.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my LD25! Initial impressions are quite good in regards to build quality and functionality. The plastic grip has a nice texture to it for improved hold. The head turns with just the right amount of ease for mode changes; no extra lube required.

Because Fenix went with a smooth reflector, the hotspot has a slightly brighter ring around it, and then a softer corona beyond it before moving into the spill. Outside, where the light is intended for use, this is not noticeable unless you are aiming it against a flat surface or are looking for it. Personally, I wouldn't mind an OP reflector, but that's me. Doesn't seem too easy to get at the reflector or lens.

Tint is nice, not too warm, but a good neutral. IIRC the light pulls around 1.4A on high, so not too much over an hour's runtime per eneloop charge, maybe an 70-75 mins, I'd think.

The plastic grip is nice; I really like it alot more than I thought I would. From farther than a few inches away, the light looks all aluminum, which is also nice IMHO. I can see that holding it for awhile in chilly weather would definitely be an improvement vs all aluminum.

Abyssos

Newly Enlightened
LD40 looks good. Just not sure how practical in use the second dimmer button will work out. What happens if both buttons are accidentally depressed?

Sly Fox

Newly Enlightened
LD40 looks good to me. I like that it takes 4 AA batteries..
My charger handles 4 AA's at a time
My AA cases take 4 at a time..

What other 4 AA lights are out there?

Colorblinded

Enlightened
Got my LD25! Initial impressions are quite good in regards to build quality and functionality. The plastic grip has a nice texture to it for improved hold. The head turns with just the right amount of ease for mode changes; no extra lube required.

Because Fenix went with a smooth reflector, the hotspot has a slightly brighter ring around it, and then a softer corona beyond it before moving into the spill. Outside, where the light is intended for use, this is not noticeable unless you are aiming it against a flat surface or are looking for it. Personally, I wouldn't mind an OP reflector, but that's me. Doesn't seem too easy to get at the reflector or lens.

Tint is nice, not too warm, but a good neutral. IIRC the light pulls around 1.4A on high, so not too much over an hour's runtime per eneloop charge, maybe an 70-75 mins, I'd think.

The plastic grip is nice; I really like it alot more than I thought I would. From farther than a few inches away, the light looks all aluminum, which is also nice IMHO. I can see that holding it for awhile in chilly weather would definitely be an improvement vs all aluminum.
Care to share what modes the damn thing actually has?

Everyone mentions three modes (high 180, low 45 and SOS) most of the time but Fenix has mentioned 6 output modes on more than one occasion. 4sevens lists a camping mode but doesn't seem bothered to explain what it is either :duh2:. I'd really like a rundown on how the modes are accessed and what they are if you don't mind.

Lawliet

Newly Enlightened
LD40 looks good. Just not sure how practical in use the second dimmer button will work out. What happens if both buttons are accidentally depressed?

Think of a normal reverse clicky, but with a second button to turn the flashlight on/off. I don't see a reason why it shouldn't wotk fine.

Pressing both buttons shouldn't be a problem. The light goes off once you release the power button, but apart from that you either change the output level or switch to disco mode, depending on your timing.