Fenix P1D-CE - your opinions?

ruger357

Newly Enlightened
Got the P1D CE last week. Plenty of white light. Great little flashlight. Now I can't wait for my Nitecore to come in.

GregU2

Newly Enlightened
I think the P1D Q5 is the perfect EDC. It weighs nothing, is super bright, has the perfect balance of spot and fill, a beautlful beam quality and tint,and the twisty is extremely reliable.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Re: Fenix P1D-CE

I am not familier with the tritium vile on your light. Must have for my lights. Do tell me how this is done, send links and cost.

The tritium on my P1D is a Merkava DIY II Tritium Glowring, available in various colors and a couple different configurations for only $20 each, see them here: http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=169870 . Merkava has different colors available at different times, so you have to check back occasionally if you're looking for a specific color that's not in stock. They're notably brighter and more compact than the usual commercial mass-produced tritium keyrings.

I don't EDC my tritium P1D, it's my nightstand light - even in pitch black I can see plainly where my flashlight is at all times. A lot of people spend extra money to buy aftermarket split rings that'll fit the tiny hole on the P1D, but here's a tip: Just remove the small split ring that's on the lobster claw clip included with your Fenix, it fits perfectly and is just big enough so that the Merkava vial hangs flush right next to the body of the P1D.

Khemist

Newly Enlightened
I'd like to know more about the emitter upgrade (esp. kavvika, nate). Did you guys DIY? Please gimme some details, I'm intrigued.

JJV

Newly Enlightened
Re: Fenix P1D-CE

https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_65&products_id=354

it a picture of the silver one, but its black. :)

okay guys fess up, who else is in the P1D cult?

:wave::crackup:

Crenshaw

Oooh oooh I am! it was my first "real" LED light, and was my EDC until 2 weeks ago when I got a P2D. I think it's an amazing little light. My only complaint is that it is really little, and is harder for me to use in some ways than the P2D. Since the P2D is not much bigger, that wins out. Still, the P1D is so small that I usually just take that one along too :twothumbs

Now, if the P2D just had a forward clickie instead of a reverse...

rubberband

Newly Enlightened
will these lights accept rcr123a batteries or is the voltage to high on hte li-ions and the p2d will only accept cr123a's

i really like the look of this light and the price isn't bad either. i would just love to use rcr123a's insted of cr123's that i would have to keep throwing out.

thanks,
Mitch

ykb

Newly Enlightened
My Q5 version accepts RCR123 with no problem, even though most folks lose the lower modes until the battery voltage drops.

I think the P1D Q5 is the perfect EDC. It weighs nothing, is super bright, has the perfect balance of spot and fill, a beautlful beam quality and tint,and the twisty is extremely reliable.
What he said :). It's also very compact :). I like it alot :). Atm, I can't see it being replaced as my EDC (nooo! I'm beginning to use flashaholic vocabulary!). I've had six-odd months flawless use from it, and can see another six at least.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 3 Q5 versions. 2 black and 1 silver. The Leef body really transforms the light IMO, well worth the money. If you are picky about the beam make sure you get the OP reflector. Great little light. Also if you get a Leef body, make sure you lube it before assembly. A couple cases of cold welding have occurred. :)

Last edited:

rubberband

Newly Enlightened
wow that is great thank you

i was also wondering about the p3d ce will that take rcr123a's as well?

Thanks,
Mitch

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've EDC'ed a P1D, now the CE Q5 135lumen version on my keys for over a year. It's such an incredible light that I almost sometimes miss not HAVING to wear a small holster to carry a light on my belt. It's power always impresess the non enlightened.:twothumbs
I ask myself how could someone NOT always carry such an useful light?
Not sure I'd notice the move up to 180 lumens although I am such a devoted 4sevens customer I still make take the plunge:naughty:

LumensMaximus

Enlightened
Both PD1 and PD2 are awesome, love them both, just wish they had a little more in the knurling department...my 02:thumbsup:

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too am a P1D fan.

I started off with a first gen P1 and now have added one CE and one CE Premium both on Leef bodies. The Leef bodies add the clicky switch and enough length to fit comfortably in your hand. I find the P1D on a Leef body to be easier to front pocket carry than even a Surefire E1B due to its slightly shorter length and smaller diameter.

My first gen P1 now is clipped to my keychain competing for space with my Arc AAA P.

Grateful Ned

Newly Enlightened
I love my P1D Q5 - unbelieveably bright, basically indistinguishable from my P3D Q5 in brightness and throw (though I think I may have ended up with a subpar P3D). Had it on me every day for over a year, never disappointed, and lots of "wow"! by onlookers along the way. Works great with RCRs though I do keep 1-2 around as extras as runtime on any single cell light isn't enough sometimes.

If I ever lost this thing :eek: I'd buy another one overnight. From Fenix Store of course... (my P3D was from another vendor, silly me).

Kind of an aside but more or less I dress for business and I love the way this thing hides on my belt. Hardly know it's there.

kavvika

Enlightened
Once I realized I had caught the P1D "bug",I headed over to Amazon and used a gift certificate to purchase a natural Lux3 P1D for $30. I send datiled a PM, and the light was shipped to him directly for the USV0H upgrade. I couldn't wait, and needed to get my hands on a P1D, so I purchased a used -CE P4 from the B/S/T forums. The upgrade did cost a pretty penny, but I did intend for it to be my last light related purchase for ~6 months (yeah right:rolleyes:). The beam is beautiful and is a nice warm tint, one of the best I've ever seen, but the mismatched ano caused me to not use it much. This put it nearly on par with my P1D-CE, which I believed to be an overachiever. Then a few weeks later I saw, in the Custom B/S/T, a member willing to upgrade any light with a Cree R2 WG for only $20. I figured I could use the increase in lumens and a better tint. It saw a 29% increase, hitting over 180 lumens on high now. It goes with me everywhere. Another reason I like my -CE R2 so much is the anodizing is nearly silver in color, not natural. I'd say it's real close to the special edition silver Q5's the fenix-store was selling. Just stunning. I'll try to get pictures soon. Now I'm just looking for one of those rare natural Leef bodies. It's between that and a EX10.

Last edited:

martonic

Enlightened
wow that is great thank you

i was also wondering about the p3d ce will that take rcr123a's as well?

Thanks,
Mitch
Yes, the P3D will take 2 x RCR123 fine, with all functions operable.

I, too, ECD a P1D, but the P3D-CE (Rebel 100) is a terrific all-around light with a small footprint, tailstands, nice "low" and great throw and color rendition for outdoor use. :twothumbs

Please Fenix add some knurling :poke: to the P2D/L1D series!

Ritch

Enlightened
I love the P1D, I have 8 units (not sure) CE, Q2, Q5, textured and smooth reflector, 2 Leef bodies. My favorites: 1 P1D-CE Q5 natural with textured reflector (so small an so bright) and 1 P1D-CE Q5 black with smooth reflector and Leef body.

> richard

Cosmo7809

Enlightened
Just received the P2D CE today and WOW. I now have a new EDC. What a great little light. I think Fenix lights will now have a spot on my shelf. Thank everyone for your help.

Last edited: