FENIX - Requests, Suggestions, Problems

RustyKnee

Enlightened
Daekar said:
I haven't bought a Fenix because the user-interface is too annoying. I don't mind a clicky-switch, but I don't want to click-through a lot of settings. I think the twist-interface coupled with the click is great. Actually, here's what I'd like to see:

~ Tactical Foward Clicky - partial press for momentary, full press for click on. Click again for off.
~ Twisty pill with three settings: High, Medium, Low. No flash, no SOS.

If you only want to do two settings, make it a slightly lower medium and then full-power high. Ditch this "turbo-mode" gimmick.

I've been very disappointed at the complex UI on Fenix lights, because I would've bought several of them (for myself and for my Dad) if that weren't a problem - well that, and I seem to remember seeing the PWM frequency being a little low. Maybe that's been fixed. Anyway - my $0.02 - seem to be good lights with features that inhibit the actual utility of the product.

ignore his twisty pill comment hehehe. I like the interface, you can select the most often used levels with one hand. why make it so you need both hands again like the regular twisties. what is so complicated about pressing a button then tapping it?

:)

Stu

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
just to make it sure again:

* low low
* leave UI as is.

Having a light come on in "high" when You just need "low" is a no-no and will keep all the owners of fenix away, who bought them just because of low-med-high UI as there is no other light working that way!
The "high-output" guys will still have their "turbo mode only" light or other alternatives.

PS: I still do not understand these constant "complex UI" claims, especially from ppl who not even own one.
on/off in turbo, whats difficult in this?
or *click* on low, *tap* med, *tap* high? (could be *click*, *click*, *click* for high also, but *tab* is this easy ...)
Just try one!
:thinking:

PS: any Fenix twisty mode got conn probs on my lights and thus the circuit switch is perfect, keep it.

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
yellow said:
PS: I still do not understand these constant "complex UI" claims, especially from ppl who not even own one.
on/off in turbo, whats difficult in this?
or *click* on low, *tap* med, *tap* high? (could be *click*, *click*, *click* for high also, but *tab* is this easy ...)
Just try one!
:thinking:

+1

Daekar

Enlightened
yellow said:
just to make it sure again:

* low low
* leave UI as is.

Having a light come on in "high" when You just need "low" is a no-no and will keep all the owners of fenix away, who bought them just because of low-med-high UI as there is no other light working that way!
The "high-output" guys will still have their "turbo mode only" light or other alternatives.

I'm not disagreeing with your point that altering the low-med-high UI would drive Fenix owners away, but I woud like to gently contest your assertion that there are no other lights that start low and work up.

My Lumapower M3 with the two-stage clicky starts on low (with 1xAA it's very low) and then with a second click you can go to high - or medium if the pill is twisted to that setting. That means that I can go back and forth between medium and high without turning off the light, which is nice.

If people do like the UI, far be it from me to say they're wrong - apples and oranges. I would consider purchasing one if they were as you described: off-low-medium-high. Ditch the turbo mode, SOS, and flash.:twothumbs

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
Daekar said:
~ Twisty pill with three settings: High, Medium, Low. No flash, no SOS.
A twisty with multiple detents would be ideal, but I wonder if Surefire has patented it for the U2.

RustyKnee said:
why make it so you need both hands again like the regular twisties. what is so complicated about pressing a button then tapping it?
For those who do not understand why a twisty mode selector is better, it means you can select the mode you want even before turning the light on. Rather than *click* oops, that's not what I wanted... *click* darn it... *click*...

That is how a toy gadget operates, not a tool. If I had wanted that I would have bought a Jetbeam or Rexlight, and guess what? I didn't. The L1T/S do not operate this way so I prefer those for that reason alone. You can select Low even before turning it on, and it'll stay there no matter how long it's off or how many times the button is clicked.

I'm not saying the D series should be canned, since some may prefer it. Just that the old UI should be combined with the new CREE and SSC emitters also, for those of us who consider cycling through unwanted modes to be an absolute deal-breaker.

ThomasH

Newly Enlightened
My 2 lumens,

I have only recently purchased my first Fenix flashlights, a pair of L2D-CE lights. Perhaps I was lucky, but they both have very white smooth beams, and all the modes are easily distinguished with my fairly old Costco Duracell Alkaline batteries.

I would also like a lower low, but the main thing I would like changed is to eliminate the bright 'flash' before the LED goes into the Low mode, if possible.

By the way, I put these two on my bicycle, where I USE THE STROBE a lot! When it seems like a automobile driver does not see me, I pop one of the lights into strobe, and that seems to do it!

Great lights! I would not change much. If the UI could stay the prettymuch same, and we could have a "normal clickie" (perhaps a full click to change modes would be required) I think that would be more popular.

I bought this model for the oh-so common AA battery size, but now I think I need some P3Ds for more 'tactical' work!

- Thomas

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't get me wrong, I think there is nothing at all wrong with selling flashlights to people who want a gadget. It's just that some of us actually want to use them as tools and well, would you buy a power tool that required multiple button clicks and cycling through modes?

Think of a power drill with just one button, where one click was Low Mode, the next Medium, then High, Turbo and next Reverse Low, etc... Would it be usable? How about if there was a randomly pulsing Strobe mode thrown in too as a free "feature?" Just because something can be included at nearly no cost doesn't mean it should, and even someone who needs a strobe could appreciate a dedicated switch for faster and surer access. Hope that you can make something for us too.

I also expect a tactical forward clicky that promises momentary operation would be pretty useless if it switched modes each time too...

Knighthood

Newly Enlightened
Thick Type III HA Mil Spec in Natural color.

waterproof to 10 feet

AA or AAA battery

Long run times in High and low mode

Robatman

Newly Enlightened
  • Knurling on the head,(P3D)
  • The type III HA is a little slippery
  • The clickie on my P3D is shiny plastic and attracts lint etc.. pls change
Overall fenix are winners for value!!!

I'd also like a 2C cree.

RustyKnee

Enlightened
bfg9000 said:
A twisty with multiple detents would be ideal, but I wonder if Surefire has patented it for the U2.

For those who do not understand why a twisty mode selector is better, it means you can select the mode you want even before turning the light on. Rather than *click* oops, that's not what I wanted... *click* darn it... *click*...

That is how a toy gadget operates, not a tool. If I had wanted that I would have bought a Jetbeam or Rexlight, and guess what? I didn't. The L1T/S do not operate this way so I prefer those for that reason alone. You can select Low even before turning it on, and it'll stay there no matter how long it's off or how many times the button is clicked.

I'm not saying the D series should be canned, since some may prefer it. Just that the old UI should be combined with the new CREE and SSC emitters also, for those of us who consider cycling through unwanted modes to be an absolute deal-breaker.

lol I am such a pleb for not liking having to use both hands to operate a torch like this...when I want to do something useful with my other hand....scratch nuts and generally play with myself hehe. this tool is more useful to me if it can be operated one handed.

if you want it to remember the level I will add another suggestion. make the controller remember what was use last time it was on. that's what the taskled controllers do. multiposition detent twisty sounds like something that will reduce reliabilty and increase cost and size.

Stu

Stu

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well i have my P3d ce now, and the led is centered, the output levels are "slightly" below the p2d apart from turbo, the led light has a slight tinge of yellow warmth its fantastic. i cant wait for night to test drive this puppy..

Still would like to see more knurling but nice to see that there is no flash when starting in low mode...

* Knurling
* polarity protection
* heat sinking

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
just a few updates from my email to keep you guys informed:
---------------------------------------------------
Hello Wesley,

It is ok to use the turbo Mode for about half an hour if the ventilation is
good. Over-heat will cause the LED's efficiency be lower.

Best Regards,
Christina Wang
FenixLight Limited
----------------------------------------------
Hello Wesley,
We fenix thank you very much. Today I classify customer's feedback in
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/164964&page=1&pp=30 which was started
by you. There are so many feedbacks; thank you for what you did for us. I will keep an eye
for the further feedbacks, and then forward them to our R&D department. Our engineer will
consider these important words in their next design.:)
Best regards!

Sincerely Elly
Fenix service team
-----------------------------------------------------

People... people... these guys are fantastic. Other than my dealings with surefire, i have never seen support like this. I am well well... impressed.

Fenix keep up with the good work, and i look forward to seeing new and improved fenix lights !

Nic

Newly Enlightened
Keep the HIGH EFFICIENCY ... Fenix are top for excellent run time for given lumens output ...

amanichen

Enlightened
Eliminate strobe and SOS, or at least make them separate from the main user interface. That's all I want. Everything else can stay the same. As Sean Connery said on Celebrity Jeopardy on SNL: "I'd buy a dozen!"

ensile

Enlightened
yes yes yes... the forward click, the ones that let you do an instant on for quick tasks like finding a remote control button, lightswitch, keyhole's, quick exit from a a dark room without tripping on trash etc.. I believe that would maybe cause a problem with momentary ticks for mode shifting... i'm no expert.. there's some awesome suggestions here.

jc28841

Newly Enlightened
techwg said:
i dont know what 18650 means.. some kind of battery i guess?

It's a rechargeable 3.7V Li-ion battery.
Don't use it myself, so I'll leave the further explanations of the merits to the experts :whistle:

ensile

Enlightened
imo, fenix has the brightness and regulations Down pat. It's pretty much little niggly design features that can be improved...

And i for one, am reasonably happy with the quality, perhaps a lil more refinement could work, but i believe the fenix lights, because of size and efficiency strengths, they have the potential to be a true contender, i don't mind paying a lil extra if I know i'll be wildly impressed, so far i haven't been dissapointed, It's the reason why people pay for premium lights, so the lights are a dream right out of the box. Cheers Fenix

Last edited: