Fenix TK40

Status
Not open for further replies.

oregon

Enlightened
Re: TK40 photo

Thank you for the terrific TK40 pic Pydpiper.

I would really enjoy seeing the heatsink and the reflector (key components for the MCE). Is the reflector textured? Can't tell from the photo.

I tried to hold my 2D ROP between my 3rd and 4th fingers, just like the gentleman in the youtube pic, and you wouldn't do this with an overly large heavy slippery flashlight that you didn't want to drop. Doesn't look too big for my purposes.

oregon

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast

Best pic I`ve seen yet. Sure won`t be an EDC light...way to big. Guess it`s a light to take with you when you know you are going to need a light. Around the house...camping...hiking...ect.

Thanks for the pic ;)

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast

It looks hideous!
sick2.gif

Not that it is intended to be a shelf queen or matters in the slightest. Can't wait to see it in action and can't wait to hear about the TA30 if its for real.:popcorn:
Thanks for pic.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast

I also agree that the design is quite ugly. But according to the picture it has a good knurling and I think the holding is good. If the head had been designed in a Maglite head shape it had been more esthetic.

Regards, Patric

wingnutLP

Enlightened

I think it looks good in a utilitarian sort of way!

The fins just behind the head should provide a bit of extra heat sinking capacity which is probably much needed.

Also the knurling looks like it will provide good grip. I agree that the head looks a bit fragile and that is a big piece of glass out front considering the bezel isn't very deep. I would like to see such a big bit of glass recessed further for more protection.

I am definitely getting one of these puppies; I swore off any more lithium lights and I have been waiting for a really powerful AA light for ages.:thumbsup:

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast

8*AA. Can not believe that more people are not ruling this light out on that basis alone... 2*18650 and longer or 3*18650 "fat" would both be much more attractive options IMO...

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast

+1 on AA ,im not into the 18650 craze these days, give me something i can run some store bought batteries ,L91s etc:D

clg0159

Enlightened

Although I can't afford the light (or any for that matter) I also like the 8AA format. I don't have time to babysit a li-ion, so for me Nimh is the best option. I would love to own a TK40 fed by eneloops!

Ziemas

Enlightened

8*AA. Can not believe that more people are not ruling this light out on that basis alone... 2*18650 and longer or 3*18650 "fat" would both be much more attractive options IMO...
+1

Eight AA is simply ridiculous considering the other cells currently available. It's way to large to be practical.

Art

Enlightened

Nice too see that from Fenix a light of 8 AA is great , from led lenser is bad...

About the TK40 what a hope halo it has , but in max is seems very powerful.

Regards,

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast

Different opinions about TK40.

There are advantages and disadvantages. The advantages are that you have a super bright light + a super long runtime light in the same package depending of what brightness mode you want to use.
And you can by the cells in nearly every country shop or petrol station in the world.
Many people today have some AA charger (usually included with digitalcameras) which can be used for NiMh cells. As well 2,4 or 8+ cells AA charger will work. Though a 2AA charger will be quite complicated with 4 runs, yes... :D

The drawback is just the complexity with 8 cells when one needs to change or charge. But then? In my opinion the advantage outweighs the disadvantage.

Regards, Patric

Last edited:

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast

Stupid question maybe but I've never been told:

I know you can regulate an 18650 and cr 123 type lights to have a flat runtime.

Can this be done with 8 AA? If it's going to have a long runtime (with a sloping graph) or a short runetime (with a flat graph) I'm not interested.

HKJ

Flashaholic

Stupid question maybe but I've never been told:

I know you can regulate an 18650 and cr 123 type lights to have a flat runtime.

Can this be done with 8 AA? If it's going to have a long runtime (with a sloping graph) or a short runetime (with a flat graph) I'm not interested.

Your can regulate any type of battery. The only problem is when the battery voltage is swinging both above and below the led voltage, this requires more work from the electronic designed.

Status
Not open for further replies.