Fenix TK75 (3xXM-L U2, 4x18650) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO and more!

coldstar

Newly Enlightened
Great review like usual!
But I think the height of TK75 is also much higher than many other lights of this class.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
But I think the height of TK75 is also much higher than many other lights of this class.
Yes, it might be more appropriate to say that the length of the TK75 is in keeping with other "throwy" 3x emitter lights (which typically have deeper reflectors - like the Crelant 7G9, Xtar S1, Nitecore TM15, and Thrunite TN30). It is certainly longer than the more compact lights with shallow reflectors (e.g. Nitecore TM11, Sunwayman T60CS). And of course, the bezel width is considerably wider.

trevordurden

Newly Enlightened
I don't believe so. There is no evidence of a thermal step-down in my testing (although runtimes were all done under a cooling fan). I certainly didn't notice any sign of one during regular use. And even in the cases where I repeatedly re-started the light (which would have led to greater heat, despite the cooling fan), the eventual step-down occurred at a specific battery voltage (i.e., was independent of heat). There is also no mention of one in any of the Fenix documentation - so it looks like there is just the timed and voltage step-down features.

There's blurb about the step-down in the user manual under the technical parameters chart.

"Notice: The above-mentioned parameters (lab-tested by Fenix using ARB-L2 18650 rechargeable Li-ion batteries) are approximate and may vary between flashlights, batteries and
environments.
*TK75 will automatically enter into the high brightness level from the turbo brightness level
after a 20-minute working time with the security setting. As a result, the runtime of the turbo
brightness level is the accumulated time."

harro

Enlightened
Yes. I think that's all in reference to a timed stepdown. There's naught to do with any form of thermal protection. My original interest in this point was to do with operating the light in hotter climates such as here ( 23/2/13 7:58pm still about 32 C ). When i retire, i think i'm going to move to Canada for a bit of cool. Whoops...apologies for getting off topic. As i was saying before, maybe Fenix believes there is sufficient heatsink area in the head of the light, for TP to be a non-issue. Hopefully so, as mine will soon be in the post.
Best regards from underneath..
Mike.

RemcoM

Enlightened
Yes, it might be more appropriate to say that the length of the TK75 is in keeping with other "throwy" 3x emitter lights (which typically have deeper reflectors - like the Crelant 7G9, Xtar S1, Nitecore TM15, and Thrunite TN30). It is certainly longer than the more compact lights with shallow reflectors (e.g. Nitecore TM11, Sunwayman T60CS). And of course, the bezel width is considerably wider.

Hi,

1 For how long does the 18650 3500 mAh cells live? I have 4 pieces for my TK75. Can i have them for some years?

I have them now recharged for 10 times.

2 What means mAh? Are the ones i have (Eden 3400 mAh) perfect for my TK75?

3 Do i see much difference ,with a standard halogen carheadlights , and the TK75 on turbo mode side by side? You said that the TK75 and the olight X6 will win by lumens, and by beam distance.

4 What you maybe think or guess, the beam distance of a standard toyota halogen headlight,and lumen, at normal ,and high beams?

Just a guess.

Thanks very much for your nice help.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
1 For how long does the 18650 3500 mAh cells live? I have 4 pieces for my TK75. Can i have them for some years?
I have them now recharged for 10 times.
2 What means mAh? Are the ones i have (Eden 3400 mAh) perfect for my TK75?
mAh is milliamp-hours, and it is a measure of battery capacity in terms of current hours (higher number, higher capacity). Any quality brand will be fine in the TK75, as long as they are all of similar age and experience, and are kept well-balanced. Properly managed and used, Li-ion cells should last you for years. Beyond that, I recommend you explore the batteries and electronics forum here - there are a lot of threads on these topics, and the experts there can guide you further.

3 Do i see much difference ,with a standard halogen carheadlights , and the TK75 on turbo mode side by side? You said that the TK75 and the olight X6 will win by lumens, and by beam distance.
4 What you maybe think or guess, the beam distance of a standard toyota halogen headlight,and lumen, at normal ,and high beams?
I haven't tried comparing them, but there is a lot variability in car headlamps - and I am not capable of providing a guess. I would recommend you visit the automative lighting subforum here, where there is proper expertise.

RemcoM

Enlightened
mAh is milliamp-hours, and it is a measure of battery capacity in terms of current hours (higher number, higher capacity). Any quality brand will be fine in the TK75, as long as they are all of similar age and experience, and are kept well-balanced. Properly managed and used, Li-ion cells should last you for years. Beyond that, I recommend you explore the batteries and electronics forum here - there are a lot of threads on these topics, and the experts there can guide you further.

I haven't tried comparing them, but there is a lot variability in car headlamps - and I am not capable of providing a guess. I would recommend you visit the automative lighting subforum here, where there is proper expertise.

Thank you for your help.

Do you recommend me to use my fenix TK75 at high and strobe mode, for ignorant car drivers,who will not turn off their high beams when they are coming towards me?

Can i flash them with the 2600 lumen strobe mode, or is that to dangerous?

Can i see you flashing with the 400 lumen SOS mode, when i am at 3 kilometres away from you ?

What is your opinion about the 2600 lumen strobemode of the TK75?

Remco

herosemblem

Enlightened
Remco, if you are extremely reckless and want to cause great harm simultaneously upon yourself and others, then yes, you will shine your TK75 at other drivers who leave their high beams on.

Obviously, shining a bright flashlight at another driver for that purpose is extremely dangerous, and I hope you weren't actually considering something like that. You know better than to do that :thumbsup:.

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
Tatasal I have removed your most recent post simply as it does nothing but invite trouble. I know you meant well however please understand your delivery was baiting in nature.

RemcoM I see you have been moderated with your last few posts here and I will give you the same message. You can make your point without threats and cursing. Based on your recent problems I must say this is your last warning. Welcome to CPF and please try to play nice.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Nice to see that you're a peacekeeper, both on the job and off. :)

Brightnorm

Last edited:

RemcoM

Enlightened
No, I don't have a TK70 - If I did, it would be in the tables and graphs. ;) I would just be speculating as to how the beam compares, so I'll leave that instead to those who actually own both.

Yes, it worked fine for me. The important part is to put the cells in the appropriate bays in series (as I mentioned in the review - "side-by-side bays, with one pointing up and the other pointing down, as indicated by the carrier"). You can verify with a DMM to make sure you have them in the right bays - you should get ~8.4V across the positive and negative contacts on top of the carrier, for two fully charged cells.

Hi Selfbuilt.

1 Is the batteryholder inside the TK75 well built and sturdy, good quality?

I hope the springs on it, will not break. What is your opinion?

2 Can i shine far with the low mode?

3 I go test tonight, the SOS 400 lumen mode, and i will go away about 3 kilometres from my TK75, can i see it flashing at 400 lumen SOS mode then that far away in the dark?

4 Is the 18 lumen low mode also visible, when away at 3 kilometres?

Remco

Swede74

Enlightened
3 I go test tonight, the SOS 400 lumen mode, and i will go away about 3 kilometres from my TK75, can i see it flashing at 400 lumen SOS mode then that far away in the dark?
Remco

I suggested in another thread that if you want to know if a light mounted on your bike pointed at a certain angle will blind / annoy oncoming traffic, you could park your bike at one end of a football field, walk to the other end and back towards your bike.

I definitely do not suggest you test the SOS mode in a similar way - leaving your light alone, turned on and sending out a distress signal, is asking for trouble. If you want to know if your light can be seen from 3 km away, it's better that you take the light, a friend, and a couple of mobile phones to the beach or another vast open area at night.

RemcoM

Enlightened
If you have the light, than why question if the battery-holder is sturdy? and question if you can shine far on low?
You got the light so you can see it yourself.

Are you happy with your Fenix TK75?

I wish the RC40 will come soon.

Have a nice day,

Remco

RemcoM

Enlightened
Very happy :) taking it tonight with me.
RC40 should be here end of this month/ early next month.

I want also a RC40, it will be beast i think. But are the springs inside the batteryholder of the TK75 strong enough, they will not break?

Everytime the batteries goes inside it and out. Takes alot of stress for the springs isnt it?

And im sorry for my angryness towards you in the last days.

Ive lost a good friend a week ago, because of that, i was feeling bad last week.

Remco