finaly get the go ahead for good flashlights at work !

oldskaterdood

Newly Enlightened
We have been struggling with poor torches at work for ever and finaly get the go ahead for some new flashlights.
They are to be kept in our fire cabinet and used for emergencys and drills so they need to have their own charging system either with a lead that plugs strainght into the torch or a docking station type charger.

They will also be used in a food production enviroment where ther is a no glass policy so the lenses will need to be plastic or at least shatter proof.

I have found the Voyager XP-G which is almost perfect but at £110 and 300 lumins i was hoping some one could reccomend a cheaper and brighter alternative.
Thans for looking and look fwd to any suggestions.

Please see ebay item number 251175555242 for the Voyager.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Most decent lights use a glass flat, so I'm not sure how well they'll work for you. Also, most rechargeable batteries degrade when kept at full charge, and you might not want Li-ion batteries in the kitchen due to potential heat sources.

How often do you think these lights will be used? If they will only be used a few minutes a year, then maybe a decent runtime light with Lithium primaries could work? The batteries might have to be replaced on a bi-yearly basis or something though (just to ensure a decent charge on them if they are used often enough).

oldskaterdood

Newly Enlightened
Thanks very much for your reply.

We are a medium sized producton factory, more heat exchangers and incubation tanks rather than kitchens. the flashlights will be used by the engineering department which i am part of.

You raise a good point re: batteries being left on charge. Thats probably why our existing fire cabinet torches perform so badly.
There are 4 teams of engineers with each team on a different shift pattern to provide 24hr cover between them.
I beleive the plan is for each of the engineering team managers to have a new flashlight as well as upgrading the existing fire cabinet flashlights.
The managers flashlights will get good use as we are situated in a rural area and often work night shifts. the fire cabinet flashlights will see little use.
Perhaps i will just focus on the managers flashlights for the time being and not worry too much about charging systems.
The glass policy is a pain. I know plastic lenses are available seperatly but they cannot handle too much heat so i guess a single XP-G is about as powerful as a plastic lens can handle?
I have my own flashlight which i bring to work which i am very fond of and works very well, its only a cheap xml zooming 2x18650, but it has opened peoples eyes as to what is available with modern flashlights and its silly that we struggle with such rubbish lights at work.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
LED's don't radiate much heat out the front, so heat isn't the issue. Glass is harder to scratch, and can also stay clearer then plastic (and is something that can be advertised).

If you don't need a port charging light, then many of the decent lights at Home Depot, Walmart, etc. have plastic flats. There are some threads in the LED section about such lights, like the Rayovac Indestructible, Defiant 3C, and a few more.

Maybe get everyone a keychain or pen light, so if the power does go out, everyone has some kind of illumination on them. Glass could be an issue there though.

oldskaterdood

Newly Enlightened
Ah ok good.

Ive just searched "plastic" in the Dx website and am getting alot of hits including xml flashlights.

Im in the Uk but i will have a look at your suggestions, thank you.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I think in the Europe, the Rayovac Indestructible are under Varta Indestrctible, not sure about Defiant.

oldskaterdood

Newly Enlightened
Very helpful.

What is your suggestion regarding a flashlight thats gonna spend its life in and emergency cabinet?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I haven't kept lights under long term storage, so I can't say from experience. Logically, I think a decent quality light with lithium batteries could work. As long as the light is good enough to take some drops and has decent runtime, then you should be ok. If you are worried about battery life, maybe switch the batteries out every few years (in which case, even alkaline should be fine).

As for specific lights, something simple and decently bright would be best. The Romisen RC-G2 III from shiningbeam could work, ~1 hour runtime, under $20 USD (not sure about shipping), 1 mode, 1 AA. Fenix's E11 could also work, 2 mode, 1 AA, forward clickie. Are you ok with non rechargeable batteries? Would you prefer a larger light?

oldskaterdood

Newly Enlightened
Yes would prefer a larger light and remember, no glass.

My search for plastic lens flashlights is still a struggle. Some lights on Dx state plastic lens but then the cistomer revies state glass lens :(

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
MagCharger upgraded with TerraLUX MiniStar 31MR-EX.

MagCharger already comes with rechargeable battery, charging cradle and plastic lens. The MiniStar upgrade will significantly increase the output.

That should be the best option for what you are looking for.

oldskaterdood

Newly Enlightened
Thats a great suggestion. thank you. i have the items bookmarked and will put them fwd.

Still very expensive. Keep the cheap suggestions coming please.

5kids

Newly Enlightened
6 years ago I purchased a few Pelican "reflex" 4x AA rechargeables for work. Not the brightest by today's standards but reliable. I need waterproof plastic so it could be easily decontaminated. My technicians work on a lot of chemical equipment so clean up was a concern. I wanted rechargeable because they were often using dim dead lights to inspect and work on stuff that can kill them. Cradle recharging means its bright every day. Bright yellow is a plus because its easily found.

oldskaterdood

Newly Enlightened
The Klarus RS11 might work nicely.

Thanks for your help.

Great light but has glass lens. It must be a no glass flashlight for use in food production areas.

I have a couple of ideas now for flashlights with charging base. I really need sugestions for cheaper high(ish) output flashlights with plastic lens ideally 1 or 2x 18650 for good run times.

Last edited: