Fixed blade for conceal carry in CA?

stitch_paradox

Enlightened
It's a funny state, you can carry a 12 inch fixed blade if its on your waist...but carry that 2 inch fixed blade in your pocket and its best of luck to ya.

You got that right! You can never carry a balisong or a switch blade, but if its under 2 inches then its legal.

btw, what is the legal situation in CA to do with carrying folders?

You can carry folders in most of the area in California, but then again it's better that you check the local law regarding knife carry as it varies from city to city and counties. Some cities are banning the carry of assisted opening knives now, so you may want to check on that either. Also never have an open folder in your pocket or anywhere in your clothes, because it will land you in jail.

As for carrying fix blade, I only carry it openly when I go hiking or mountain biking. I don't want any unwanted attention on me and be hassled.

To the OP may I ask why you want to carry a fix blade concealed?

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd love to be able to carry my atwood sopt in its sheath in my pocket. I venture to say that I have done that on occasion. It's pretty simple, don't "act a fool" and get in trouble with the law, and there's no reason to worry. If a LEO asks about weapons on your person, mention that you don't have any weapons, but do have a small (pocket) knife in your pocket for opening boxes and whatnot. Regardless of whats said, you've got to let them know it's there.

When I do lawfully carry it, it's attached to my backpack shoulder strap for all to see. I worry more about it getting stolen when I carry it like that.

I carry a folder in my pocket everyday.

Last edited:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
AFAIK, YMMV, IIRC, etc.

In CA, if you wanted to, you could carry a break-action shotgun over your shoulder, have a large sword strapped to your leg, and have an 18" folder hidden under your jacket. That said, none of those options are very wise. It's illegal to "cause a panic," so if something you're legally doing (like walking around wearing a plaid vest and a furry hat with earflaps while holding an 870 Express, asking passersby if they've seen any ducks) causes a panic, they can get you for that. And even if you don't cause a panic, LEOs might want to have words with you.

I recommend going with an ordinary folder or perhaps an AO. Make sure you know your knife laws, because sometimes authority figures don't. If they want to confiscate something, get a receipt.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
CA says you can posess any undeployed folder anywhere except for on the grounds of K-12 schools. There are exemptions for employees, of course.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
CA does not specifically address this in the Penal Code as it pertains to knives. The idea is implicit, to be sure, but never directly addressed.

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
As an officer I really hate to say this however I have noticed that many state local codes are worded in a way as to be very vague and open for interpitation....In other words there is always a way to violate someone for something if one is creative enough. On the other hand there is also usually many ways to justify something if the person in question is polite and simply a normal day to day man.....I have used officer discression many times to overlook or maybe a better word would be "consider legal within description of code" for people I have encountered.

Now please understand I am not saying at all to disregard city code however I am saying to know every in and out of the local laws regarding carry. I am also saying that if you are simply a family man out to dinner with the wife and kids and your Benchmade Folder falls from your pocket within site of an officer....well I would hate to think the police there would be harsh enough to consider you in violation......is it really that bad there? However if you were a rebel biker creating a disturbance I would expect the police to use creative interpetation of any laws should you be found with any type knife.

Good luck and it may help to actually visit a local precinct and speak to some of the street officers. Introduce yourself and ask some advice on what the actual street level officers will allow. Most are usually happy to see someone taking the responsibility of actually asking first before assuming.

stockae92

Enlightened
To the OP may I ask why you want to carry a fix blade concealed?

i carry a folder in my bag everyday. i was just wondering if i could have a small fixed blade, throw it in the bag in place of the folder.

folder works just fine for me. i wanted to see if there's a reason (a.k.a. excuse) for me to get a small fixed blade :p

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ummm...maybe you should read this thread:

http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showpost.php?pid/488701/

Toshi

That KF thread is almost 100% INCORRECT.

In summary,

-there is no FIXED blade length limit in California's Penal Code (PC 12020 et. al.)

-Switchblades and Bali's with blades over 2 inches are misdemeanors (PC 653k)

-There is no limit on manual folder blade length, nor is a closed folder concealed considered a "dirk or "dagger" (PC 12020 et. al.)

-Schools. These are confusing, as it's different for public and private institutions as well as the grades of instruction (kindergarten, 1-12, university level, etc). In summary, and dirk/dagger with a blade greater than 2.5" or a locking blade knife is considered a "wobbler" if possessed on school grounds. A wobbler is an offense that can be charged as a felony or misdemeanor. As arrested, it will be charged as a felony. (PC 626.10--review it all). I'd suggest not bringing any bladed instruments onto school grounds.

-Counties and Municipalities can also create their own laws, which are charged as misdemeanors. Cities and Counties CANNOT create ordinances that can be charged as felonies.

I'd suggest reviewing the appropriate codes and sections, as the above information is for informational purposes only, and does not constitute nor imply any legal advice.

TMorita

Enlightened
That KF thread is almost 100% INCORRECT.

In summary,

-there is no FIXED blade length limit in California's Penal Code (PC 12020 et. al.)

-Switchblades and Bali's with blades over 2 inches are misdemeanors (PC 653k)

-There is no limit on manual folder blade length, nor is a closed folder concealed considered a "dirk or "dagger" (PC 12020 et. al.)

-Schools. These are confusing, as it's different for public and private institutions as well as the grades of instruction (kindergarten, 1-12, university level, etc). In summary, and dirk/dagger with a blade greater than 2.5" or a locking blade knife is considered a "wobbler" if possessed on school grounds. A wobbler is an offense that can be charged as a felony or misdemeanor. As arrested, it will be charged as a felony. (PC 626.10--review it all). I'd suggest not bringing any bladed instruments onto school grounds.

-Counties and Municipalities can also create their own laws, which are charged as misdemeanors. Cities and Counties CANNOT create ordinances that can be charged as felonies.

I'd suggest reviewing the appropriate codes and sections, as the above information is for informational purposes only, and does not constitute nor imply any legal advice.

I think you're right...I couldn't find the appropriate section in the state laws for that info either. It must be a local thing.

The other discussion of Cali knife laws here agrees with you:

http://www.kuntaosilat.net/Laws.htm

Toshi

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aside from employee and law enforcement exemptions, no blades over 2.5" on K-12 grounds and no fixed blades over 2.5" on college and university campuses.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
...and no fixed blades over 2.5" on college and university campuses.

Just checked one of my rather blunt table knives in the kitchen (not a steak knive) and it's blade is 3.75". Wonder what they use in the school cafeteria. ;)

Now that I think about it, that knife might have come from my old college cafeteria. :devil:

Last edited:

Guy's Dropper

Enlightened
Ummm...maybe you should read this thread:

http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showpost.php?pid/488701/

Toshi
Much of that is false. I've read the actual laws themselves. And they don't say anything about much of those claims. For instance:

6. Knives may not be carried in an automobile unless they are being transported directly or if there are documents present to overrule this law at that time.

So... I'm not allowed to carry a 2in folder in my glove box? Give me a break.

stitch_paradox

Enlightened
Much of that is false. I've read the actual laws themselves. And they don't say anything about much of those claims. For instance:

6. Knives may not be carried in an automobile unless they are being transported directly or if there are documents present to overrule this law at that time.

So... I'm not allowed to carry a 2in folder in my glove box? Give me a break.

I think that applies to a fixed blade. If I'm not mistaken, in my city (CA city) a fixed blade can't be carried inside a car specially in reach of the driver or passenger.