Flashaholic Getogether in Singapore! part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah, DX order came in today! Shipped on 30th August 2008 (saturday) and got here Wednesday, pretty darn quick i must say. What i ordered:-

UltraFire 3.6/3.7V Battery Charger
TrustFire Protected 18650 Lithium Battery (2500mAh 2-Pack Blue)
Aurora WF-600 HA-III 2-Mode Cree Q5 LED Flashlight

No damage whatsoever to any of the items, packing was very well packed. The 18650 cells came with a charge as i slipped one in and it works fine.

Even in bright daylight and in the sun, the hotspot of the beam on low and high is incredibly bright, am now waiting for sunset to look for a suitably dark place to try it out.

Pics will follow. Cheers.

Ny0ng1

Enlightened
its been a while since i look for the old thread of singapore get together :wave:

pointed back here by crenshaw on https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/204941&page=2

i stayed in singapore since 2000 to 2007. Left singapore to sri lanka last year for work. Still working here until perhaps 2010. Its quite dark here sometimes but i seldom venture out in the night nowadays due to exhaustion from work. Played with 30mw greenlasers from DX but scared to use it too much due to very strict security reason :aaa: (my apartment and project is very near to the president house)

Have met with 2 singapore cpfers which is Cyril (Flashlight) and Wong, both of them helped me purchased overseas goods and meet up. Thx guys! I still have Inova T3 and Longbow Micra that flashlight puchased for me. :D

Glad to see more people in sgp with our addictions. Wish i could join any of meetup. Like all of you know, my experience shining lights in singapore is very limited, mostly shooting to HDB walls and other units windows haha. :ohgeez:. I got good experiences during hiking trips to malaysia though :thumbsup:

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
its been a while since i look for the old thread of singapore get together :wave:

pointed back here by crenshaw on https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/204941&page=2

i stayed in singapore since 2000 to 2007. Left singapore to sri lanka last year for work. Still working here until perhaps 2010. Its quite dark here sometimes but i seldom venture out in the night nowadays due to exhaustion from work. Played with 30mw greenlasers from DX but scared to use it too much due to very strict security reason :aaa: (my apartment and project is very near to the president house)

Have met with 2 singapore cpfers which is Cyril (Flashlight) and Wong, both of them helped me purchased overseas goods and meet up. Thx guys! I still have Inova T3 and Longbow Micra that flashlight puchased for me. :D

Glad to see more people in sgp with our addictions. Wish i could join any of meetup. Like all of you know, my experience shining lights in singapore is very limited, mostly shooting to HDB walls and other units windows haha. :ohgeez:. I got good experiences during hiking trips to malaysia though :thumbsup:

Hey BonziBuddy haha, nice to hear from you again!:wave: Wow, didn't know that you are now in Tiger territory. :eek: Ya, better not play with your lasers there bro. :caution: I think most of us have similar limited experience as you here when it comes to playing, erm I mean evaluating our flashlights especially when it's so hard to even find a good dark place to do it. Well, at least you should have lots of dark places there but maybe not so safe to do so though. :D Have fun & take care. :tinfoil:

Last edited:

king2penn

Enlightened
hehe guys will wait till i get my first HID before joining an outing... that way i can beat all ur throws:nana:

albert

Enlightened
Thrower no use when i was in china during the quake period. Can get scolded like crazy when you switch on a thrower on a night hike with a group of people.

Now i comes to appreciate low lumen output that can stretch on a set of battery.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
coincidentally enough i was just thinking the same thing the other night when i was out fishing, the aurora wf-600 throws damn far but is too darn bright. Even when bashing through and navigating to the fishing spot, i found it too bright (but its still damn fun to have though).

Ended up using my E01 more often than not and my DX fauxtons were pretty useful too. Think my jetbeam on low would be ideal as it has a high mode if i need more light.

i was just thinking the other day, is there a 1 or 2 AA light with a clicky tailcap and brightness modes adjusted by turning the bezel instead of either semi-clicking or clicking the tailcap?

iluvflashlight

Newly Enlightened
Thrower no use when i was in china during the quake period. Can get scolded like crazy when you switch on a thrower on a night hike with a group of people.

Now i comes to appreciate low lumen output that can stretch on a set of battery.
why isit u flash at them

king2penn

Enlightened
Eh.. that would be pointless unless you get a Helios... some flashoholic in SG owns one... so unless you get that one too, yours won't be the brightest or the longest throwing...:D :nana: :poke: :devil:

owned man:(:(:(
maybe i can be 2nd... :shakehead

king2penn

Enlightened
sorry there is already another similar thread hyperloop just started on the royal callup :oops:

Last edited:

Tessaiga

Enlightened
A Little Red Dot 1 degree North of the Equator
eh Steven, you wanna get the N30, why not wait a couple more weeks for the L35? Its the improved version of the N30 with Li-ion battery... check it out in the HID sub-forum

I'm thinking of getting the L35... maybe we can combine ship... :whistle:

Anyone else interested???

I'm too poor to own the Helios, Polarion family..... :p

king2penn

Enlightened
eh Steven, you wanna get the N30, why not wait a couple more weeks for the L35? Its the improved version of the N30 with Li-ion battery... check it out in the HID sub-forum

haha i already checked the L35 cost... busts my budget for the N30!
As for helios and polarion, that could wait ten years down the road;)

yup we could combine ship; shipping costs are exorbitant:scowl: but will have to check about something regarding the N30 and power transformers 1st

Ny0ng1

Enlightened
Hey BonziBuddy haha, nice to hear from you again!:wave: Wow, didn't know that you are now in Tamil Tiger territory. :eek: Ya, better not play with your lasers there bro. :caution: I think most of us have similar limited experience as you here when it comes to playing, erm I mean evaluating our flashlights especially when it's so hard to even find a good dark place to do it. Well, at least you should have lots of dark places there but maybe not so safe to do so though. :D Have fun & take care. :tinfoil:

Hi hi, I see you're still active around here. I have almost never visit hwz these days anymore, not sure the activity there.
Oh, the recent 'server busy' msg I got from cpf these days reminds me of them lol :sick2:

hows life, are you still doing photography work? brisk business? :D

i've been using the green laser more nowadays on our construction site. The thing cost US$24 delivered, but I have to pay US$25 to bribe the custom to release it unless I want it to be send to the military for approval first.... yeah right... He didnt believe it cost only that much, saying it must be US$240 instead :hairpull:

Anyway, i have few flashaholic stories to tell today ....
I just came back from my company material yard. Supposed to pack some containers to send back to singapore tomorrow but there were no light on the yard usable to help us load 12m long I-beam to 40footer container with mobile crane and forklift.
In the end I have to arranged our electrician to come with 400W metal halide spotlights and some extension wires. But before that came I used my L1 to play around the yard :whistle:. That 65 surefire lumens really bright enough to shine the opposite end of the yard about 75m away in almost total darkness :thumbsup:
In the end I handed over a minimag for our storekeeper to help his job for the rest of the night :)

Just 2 hours before, the air force here just did what i believe a simulation for an aerial attack on the city. They flied 1 slow and low flying plane and circle down the area while a few searchlight from multiple locations in town scan the sky and tried to spot the plane. Quite exciting but a little bit scary at the same time. :crazy:. I dont think they use the searchlight like these though.

Last edited:

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi hi, I see you're still active around here. I have almost never visit hwz these days anymore, not sure the activity there.
Oh, the recent 'server busy' msg I got from cpf these days reminds me of them lol :sick2:

hows life, are you still doing photography work? brisk business? :D

i've been using the green laser more nowadays on our construction site. The thing cost US$24 delivered, but I have to pay US$25 to bribe the custom to release it unless I want it to be send to the military for approval first.... yeah right... He didnt believe it cost only that much, saying it must be US$240 instead :hairpull:

Anyway, i have few flashaholic stories to tell today ....
I just came back from my company material yard. Supposed to pack some containers to send back to singapore tomorrow but there were no light on the yard usable to help us load 12m long I-beam to 40footer container with mobile crane and forklift.
In the end I have to arranged our electrician to come with 400W metal halide spotlights and some extension wires. But before that came I used my L1 to play around the yard :whistle:. That 65 surefire lumens really bright enough to shine the opposite end of the yard about 75m away in almost total darkness :thumbsup:
In the end I handed over a minimag for our storekeeper to help his job for the rest of the night :)

Just 2 hours before, the air force here just did what i believe a simulation for an aerial attack on the city. They flied 1 slow and low flying plane and circle down the area while a few searchlight from multiple locations in town scan the sky and tried to spot the plane. Quite exciting but a little bit scary at the same time. :crazy:. I dont think they use the searchlight like these though.

So so lah.

Minimag?! Hope it was an LED one at least, haha.:crackup:

Hope it really was a simulation exercise! :duck:

Well I'll be going on night walk thru Lim Chu Kang & Kranji on Saturday night so will be bringing along a few of my torches to play around with. :D

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
night walk in those areas? sounds like great fun man. Too bad i live so far away else i would ask to join in :( and due to an unfortunate relationship between myself, beer and the traffic police i dont drive right now and for the next year plus too. Ah well, we live and learn.

So am now hunting places to go with my trusty mtb (pasir ris farmway 1 is DARK, right at the end, and a bit creepy on a bike)

king2penn

Enlightened

Hi Tessaiga so when u planning to get the L35? haha i know its not out yet:popcorn:

Last edited:

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
night walk in those areas? sounds like great fun man. Too bad i live so far away else i would ask to join in :( and due to an unfortunate relationship between myself, beer and the traffic police i dont drive right now and for the next year plus too. Ah well, we live and learn.

So am now hunting places to go with my trusty mtb (pasir ris farmway 1 is DARK, right at the end, and a bit creepy on a bike)

The walk was great with a turnout of around 40 persons. There were 2 green lasers (one used to be mine :devil: ), my 200mw DX red laser (bought from Crenshaw :D ) and various assorted incan & LED lights. We got to see a tiny snake, some nocturnal birds, frogs, toads, and FIRE-FLIES! :thumbsup: and lots of stars which our very experienced guide pointed out. :)

Let me know if anyone is interested in any future night-walks such as this one which was organised by the Nature Society Singapore Ramblers Group. ;) (They also do day walks.)

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
DAY walks??? For what?!?! Then cannot bring my meagre collection of lights! haha. But sure, please post for next walk, i will go recce the end of Pasir Ris Farmway 1 as there is some form of metal barricade there and i dont know how much further in people can walk.

OT: Just picked up a Jet III Pro ST, love the light man, various reviews on CPF already so wont get into the details. Got it from a local dealer Cateye when i was sending my old (very old) Jetbeam Mk 1 for repairs as it somehow died. He showed me the Olight M20, love that too but cannot justify getting 2 lights in one day

cheers and let's have the next walkabout

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
DAY walks??? For what?!?! Then cannot bring my meagre collection of lights! haha. But sure, please post for next walk, i will go recce the end of Pasir Ris Farmway 1 as there is some form of metal barricade there and i dont know how much further in people can walk.

OT: Just picked up a Jet III Pro ST, love the light man, various reviews on CPF already so wont get into the details. Got it from a local dealer Cateye when i was sending my old (very old) Jetbeam Mk 1 for repairs as it somehow died. He showed me the Olight M20, love that too but cannot justify getting 2 lights in one day

cheers and let's have the next walkabout

Oh for our night walk we went under a few barricades across small side roads & ventured further in off the beaten track as well to get to where the fire-flies were frolicking. :devil:

Status
Not open for further replies.