Flashlight For Self-Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
great. as long as you are not the victim, who cares, let the next guy/woman be victimized. That's some fantastic outlook in humanity you have there.
:thumbsdow

remind me to never live next to you as a neighbor.

Not the first time you've horribly misinterpreted one of my posts. (Likely, not going to be the last).

Timdog68 made all of the main points. Simply put, everyone is responsible for their own safety. The exception to that rule being children. (Their parents are morally and legally responsible for their safety).

If someone chooses to go through Life with blinders on, how is that my fault? Would you blame your next door neighbor if your house got robbed? Would you get upset at him because he got himself a Home Security system, and you decided not to?

Burglars case the neighborhood, decide to rob your place because you don't have a Home Security system.... unlike your neighbor.

Gee, I guess your neighbor is the @$$. How dare he take steps to protect himself and his family, when others in the neighborhood decided not to be so "paranoid."

BTW, if you had me as a neighbor, you'd be fortunate. I look out for my friends and neighbors. If I genuinely didn't care about people, you think I would have bothered giving the pragmatic advice that I did in this thread?

Thankfully, other CPFers got what I was saying. But if my blatant honesty is causing you to become offended, well; like I told the other guy, I won't lose any sleep if you put me on your Ignore List.

stitch_paradox

Enlightened
because this thread is titled "flashlights for self-defense", not "self-defense". his post ruined the entire thread for me. i'm glad it helped some but in my opinion is belongs elsewhere. i'm not contributing either so no more comments

Still has the "sef defense" words on both of them, and that was the key of this thread. Where just giving our advice on the proper thinking of self defense. His post might have ruined it for you, but not for the majority of us. I actually find it helpful. Your post ruined this whole thread for me too, but does that give me the right to tell you where to put your posts? Like one of the moderator have said. don't play mod.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
that's a very different tone then what the first post I quoted you conveyed.

I don't need ignore lists, I simply wanted to respond to what you initially said. it's the part about "let the next chump suffer" that gets me.

Not the first time you've horribly misinterpreted one of my posts. (Likely, not going to be the last).

Timdog68 made all of the main points. Simply put, everyone is responsible for their own safety. The exception to that rule being children. (Their parents are morally and legally responsible for their safety).

If someone chooses to go through Life with blinders on, how is that my fault? Would you blame your next door neighbor if your house got robbed? Would you get upset at him because he got himself a Home Security system, and you decided not to?

Burglars case the neighborhood, decide to rob your place because you don't have a Home Security system.... unlike your neighbor.

Gee, I guess your neighbor is the @$$. How dare he take steps to protect himself and his family, when others in the neighborhood decided not to be so "paranoid."

BTW, if you had me as a neighbor, you'd be fortunate. I look out for my friends and neighbors. If I genuinely didn't care about people, you think I would have bothered giving the pragmatic advice that I did in this thread?

Thankfully, other CPFers got what I was saying. But if my blatant honesty is causing you to become offended, well; like I told the other guy, I won't lose any sleep if you put me on your Ignore List.

gilly

Enlightened
Wise words, brother Monocrom. To borrow the words of a smart man, there are three types in our society: sheep, sheepdogs and wolves. We sheepdogs know the danger that the wolves pose and try to remain prepared to deal with them. (and make a living out of protecting the sheep from the wolves) Unfortunately the sheep live their lives in fantasy and denial, thinking things are safe and good. We know better.

And...to get back to the OP, I agree that a light is not enough for self-defense. A good bright light can, however, make a difference. Recently, we were conducting SWAT training inside an old KMart building (very large, open space - pillars, but no aisles, shelving, etc.) I brought my Raidfire Spear with me to see if it might come in handy. After detecting movement with my incan light on my M-4, I blasted a perp (role player) hiding behind a pillar, with the Spear from a distance of about 100 feet. I was able to distract him with voice commands and the intense beam of the Spear while two other team members of mine made an approach on him from his flank and 'took him down'. He didn't see them coming and was very impressed with the Spear. All of my buddies on the team were very interested in seeing, trying and finding out about the Spear. Among 20 SWAT guys and their variety of lights, the Spear was by far the most powerful light there. A good 'thrower' definitely has its place in Law Enforcement!

Many guys have asked me to recommend a tough, BRIGHT LED light. They are not willing to shell out the $$ for a Surefire. I ask "what are you willing to spend?" and most guys respond, "75 bucks or so". So.....I have recommended the Fenix TK10. One of my closest buds was carrying an old 1 Watt Pelican LED! He was DISGUSTED at how dim it was compared to my Spear and the other light in my SWAT vest, an old 6P spiced up with a Wolf Eyes Q5 drop-in from PTS.:thumbsup:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
that's a very different tone then what the first post I quoted you conveyed.

I don't need ignore lists, I simply wanted to respond to what you initially said. it's the part about "let the next chump suffer" that gets me.

Tone is something that's very difficult to convey over an internet forum. The unfortunate thing here is that you concentrated on one sentence, rather than the totality of all of the posts I've previously made in this thread. I genuinely believe that's where the misinterpretation came from.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Wise words, brother Monocrom. To borrow the words of a smart man, there are three types in our society: sheep, sheepdogs and wolves. We sheepdogs know the danger that the wolves pose and try to remain prepared to deal with them. (and make a living out of protecting the sheep from the wolves) Unfortunately the sheep live their lives in fantasy and denial, thinking things are safe and good. We know better....

.... Many guys have asked me to recommend a tough, BRIGHT LED light. They are not willing to shell out the $$ for a Surefire. I ask "what are you willing to spend?" and most guys respond, "75 bucks or so". So.....I have recommended the Fenix TK10. One of my closest buds was carrying an old 1 Watt Pelican LED! He was DISGUSTED at how dim it was compared to my Spear and the other light in my SWAT vest, an old 6P spiced up with a Wolf Eyes Q5 drop-in from PTS.:thumbsup:

Another great way of looking at how things are. Thanks.

BTW, I was thinking of getting a Surefire P61L for my SF C2. But how well does the Wolf-Eyes Q5 drop-in work in your 6P. I might get that, instead. I have heard a few CPFers having problems getting the W.E. drop-in to seat properly inside their Surefire lights. Did you experience any issues with that?

gilly

Enlightened
The fit did not seem 'ideal', but it works OK. Not sure I'd want to submerge it. The W.E. drop in came with a spacer ring for Surefires. I thought the diameter of the W.E. reflector would be wider also. I really wanted to get a Malkoff, but alas, they are very rarely in stock and I became impatient.

Hope this info helps. I am, admittedly, still quite a novice at modding anything!

DocArnie

Newly Enlightened
Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried out how a good flashgun works for gaining an advantage to escape?

Timdog68

Newly Enlightened
well, what you are saying is redirecting harm to others, which is a pretty tough thing to live with morally speaking. I guess you have no problem doing it, well, that's who you are. We need to look at our conscience and decide whether we rather rid of the society of evil or merely evading it and hope someone else receives the attack. And seems like the majority of people today are all too happy to not be one of the victims, and feel somehow more "smart" that they didn't get victimized, this time.

the point is, perps will harm someone if the society continues to makes and enforce laws that discourage people from defending themselves. If not you, they may choose to rob and beat an old lady who have even less means of self-preservation. Well, you don't see it so it obviously won't matter to you.

The whole mentality of "I will blend in so someone else gets it" sounds pretty terrible to me. It just encourages the criminals to find weaker and more vulnerable targets to attack.

I think Prime Minister Chamberlain of England was one in that camp.

Well thanks for labeling me based on not wanting to be a victim.
I have fought and recently lost to have a 3 strikes law enacted in my state.
I have also fought and won(fingers crossed) to have ammo and firearm microstamping bills squashed that would have stopped the sale of firearms and reloading in my state.
Your assumptions about me couldnt be any more wrong but hey I don't want to ruin your profiling based on two paragraphs.
Good luck and God Bless!

DocArnie

Newly Enlightened
Tried out blinding myself with a big flashgun in the mirror at night. Doesn't work as a weapon. It blinds you only for a split-second, but then you could still whoop someone's butt.

LiterLeaner

Newly Enlightened
4. The tactical strobe is useless, (its mesmerizing though when you stare at it for some time)

I am new here and I am sorry for bringing an older thread back to life but I feel the need to enlighten a few misinformed individuals. (sorry for the use of that word but I thought it fit):candle:

I have been on the streets for a little over 3 years now. My first encounter with the "strobe" effect was when I ordered a G&P 5watt copy of the trusty 6P. Since I ordered that light I have upgraded many times and my best addition to that type of light was a Gladius. I have entrusted that workhorse more times than I care to count to allow a split second more time than I had otherwise. I was always in a position in where I could anticipate the attack and switch over to strobe mode. When deployed I was able to get that needed advantage over my attacker.

A strobe will not confuse, daze or bewilder an attacker but I have used it many times to allow a "wtf" moment so that I may gain the advantage. Most people are not expecting it and just like EVERY other tool out there - TRAIN TRAIN TRAIN so that you will effectively use your tool as designed when the time comes.

This article has provided a much needed "wake-up" call to the silly claims that companies are promoting. I can't wait to find a static bad guy that allows me to use my training as presented in the paper manuals. Until that time comes, be safe and what a great website indeed.

I will still be a flashlightaholic but you have to know where the bs meets the reality.:sssh:

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually! any thing used for self-defense,could be taken off you rendering it useless..a flashlight comes top as it can be seen from the light it is emiting..I carry a koppo stick in conjunction with a flashlight..thus if something happens the antagonist will follow the light he can see,not the koppo stick "BANG".
BTW this duo may give me "only"seconds to flee leaving the antagonist wanting.

fallvitals

Newly Enlightened
Um, no experiance with flashlights in self defense. But... if you are truely interested in self defense. Get a Permit to Carry a Concealed Weapon. And take some good instructional classes. But remember a gun is something you can just draw, wave around, or shoot someone unless its a last resort thing..

I never enter the woods any more without my .45acp on me. I should be more concerned with carrying in public, but I havent started that practice yet :candle:

hangn_9

Newly Enlightened
Seems to me that the light would be the best defense. isnt the best defence a good offence? and although addressed a little I would think identifing a dangerous situation and being able establish an escape route. Making use of your light to not trip or poke your eye out while escaping out is invaluable. I'm guessing most muggers wont have personal lighting. leave the subdue portion to people with training or professionals.

Really if someone suprises you, well they have the upper hand anyway wether you have a gun, knife, or flashlight.

I work for the railroad and safety safety safety. The biggest component to being safe is situational awarness and I think that applies anywhere. a good light gives you a lot of advantages before there is a problem.

Military, Police they are supposed to confront the situation(most of them would wait for backup when possible. You dont and frankly, without the proper training and tools it would be a fools game to mess around. And hey if you must stand and fight commit to it and #@$ them up.

hangn9

My question anyone know how effective high lummins are on animals?

greenLED

Flashaholic
My question anyone know how effective high lummins are on animals?
You'll get varying answers; I suspect it depends on the animal and the circumstances.

I've personally stopped (twice) a charging dog, dead in its tracks (dogs went from attack mode to frozen in place in an instant; interesting response) as soon as I hit him in the eyes with my light (once with a SF L1, once with a PD-S).

Another dog didn't stop like that. It stopped barking, but didn't have the "freeze" reaction the other 2 dogs did.

In either case, it gave me enough time to put some distance between them and myself - always a good thing.

kuprith

Newly Enlightened
another good idea for flashlight self defense are those 100 mw - 200 mw laser diodes incorporated into the flashlight casing.

Status
Not open for further replies.