Flashlight for the wife, any ideas?

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
After doing some reading, I don't know that crenellations are all they are cracked up to be, so that may not be a big deal. The 123's should be fine. It would be in a purse with her keys unless she is using it. I was looking at either 2 x AA or 2 x 123 anyway, to more closely approximate the length of the kubotan she is used to carrying now.

What's the current length of the kubaton she's having?

I think 2xAA might be kind of long, too much length exposed and requires greater grip.

As for 2 x 123, there's one that comes to mind that's made with with what you require, but without strobe. If budget isn't an issue, check out Surefire E2DL (E2D Led Defender for long), there's a real life story of a jogger who had used this for self-defense (at Surefire's website). Haha, even their catalog showed a lady preparing herself with a E2DL after spotting a potential stalker.

Btw, E2DL is crenelated on both ends.

Last edited:

thedeske

Enlightened
What do you guys think of the Fenix PD30? Looks like the right size with crenelations (although small). I don't understand how the UI is being described. If it can be left in what is being called the turbo mode that may be what I'm after.

The 30 is great for big light in a hurry out of a purse.
As Zeruel says, leave it twisted to the left and it's ready for full blast with a click. 7/8 X 4.5
The PD20 might be interesting. Basically the same light with slightly less power and runtime, but nice and short at 3.25. If her hands are small she might prefer the shorter light for one handed grab and 'On'.

Good Luck

dim

Enlightened
For a "kubotan light", have a look at some of the EagleTac P10A and P10C flashlights.

Each of the EagleTac flashlights are really bright, often, the brightest in each of their respective class and are "girthy" for each of their respective class as well.

The P10A is a 1AA battery flashlight. I don't feel that this is a particularly popular flashlight on CPF because of its relatively larger size and no "low low" mode, but as your requirements are more for a "defensive" flashlight, these "features" can work in your favor.

The P10A2 is their 2AA offering. This flashlight has size, weight and LUMENS, baby! Rated at 225 lumens on "high" (60 lumens on low), the P102A WILL inflict bruises if struck by it with sufficient force.

The P10C2, my current favorite, is a 2CR123 flashlight that falls in between the sizes of the P10A and the P10A2 and may be more appropriate for a slighter hand and easier to wield than the 2AA P10A2. It's also a touch brighter than the P10A2...but the difference in perceptible output is negligible.

The good looking stainless steel bezel is removable from this line of flashlights and can be replaced with the matching crenated bezel.

It is easy for a noob to fall into the "I don't want to deal with 'strange' battery types" trap. Despite some cells with the common AA appearance, with the power necessary to drive the performance of "high powered" LED flashlights, all batteries will be "strange".

For EagleTac's P10A and P10A2, alkalines are too feeble and, personally, I find the performance of "off the shelf" NiMH rechargeable batteries to be too inconsistent. For AA batteries, Eneloops are the popular CPF cell of choice. There are also strong "discount" CR123 and R123 rechargeable options available online. Regardless of battery type, you'll likely have to order batteries online (just like the rest of us).

I have each of these three flashlights.

dim