Flashlight GT in Florida

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JackStraw:
Like playing tag with a greased pig!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

grin.gif
Got that right! Seemed like a Twilight Zone episode for a bit there. Slippery little thread isn't it?

Man, I REALLY don't want to miss this thing though...

arab

Enlightened
Craig said:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> Hopefully there will not be a mandatory "black tie only" dinner, as I do not have a suit & tie, nor would I be very comfortable if forced to wear them.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think I can help here. I got these from a web site called LED Museum or something like that. For a tie, try one of these

tie1.jpg

and for a suit, what about
this

vest1.jpg

Sorry - I couldn't resist
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK guys. It's probably a little too soon to get all this info. But I've got an inside person in the travel business. She can look up hotels/motels in the area. And possibly get us group rates. What she needs to know is things like dates. No, not who you're bringing. But which days this get together will take place. And who needs rooms. As in how many plan on staying in the hotel/motel.

And most importantly, is proximity to the convention center of real importance?

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DavidW:
And most importantly, is proximity to the convention center of real importance?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

IMHO...No

And certainly not if we all end up staying at Walt`s...

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK. THe show is in Orlando, Florida and the time is February 13-16. Probally the best time for the GT is the 15th which is a Saturday night. That would give people Sunday to travel home before the work week. Sound good?

If the VIP tickets work out, we would mail the tickets to whoever wants them 2 months or so before the show. You would have to mail them to the show organizers a month before the show. At the show, they would have your ticket and you would pay $15 (instead of the normal 50). You have to be 18 or older. You can still bring the family on the trip, they could do other things while your at the show if you want (it is Orlando, so there is lots to do).

Unless someone has a better idea, I would like to go with DavidW's travel agent. We need to know when she needs a final head count for reservations. Location to the show isn't as important if there is a shuttle. Having places to eat, etc walking distance is nice so we don't need rental cars or taxies. It also needs to be family and wheelchair friendly. We will need a medium sized hall or meeting room for the 15th.

So the 13, 14, 15 and 16th you could find us at our show booth. On the 15th, we would all get together for the CPF gala (whatever you want to call it) at the hotel meeting room. If we have GT tickets, we could do pizza and what not. Otherwise, maybe just soda (it gets expensive to feed 50-80 people, so I am looking for ideas here).

To get a count, it might be easiest to have a website that people can register if they are going and how many in their party (guestbook function?). Or you could just all email DavidW's travel agent.

Suggestions?

Peter Gransee

Brock

Flashaholic
I would like to say I am going, but it is just to early for me to say for sure. I will know more realistically around the end of summer or early fall. I certainly want to go; but then again I wanted to go this year also.

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Walt, Peter, I sent both of you a private message with the email address for the person who can get hotel/motel arrangements.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I'm not free to go because of the nature of my work. However, I think it's important that we make it possible for Craig to attend. Can we discuss the specifics?

Brightnorm

WaltH

Enlightened
I will do whatever I can to help Craig get here. I would say once we have a list of all those involved we send emails rather than posting the specifics. This thread is going to get rather full by next February.

Greta

Flashaholic
Good evening gentlemen...
smile.gif

Let me introduce myself... I'm "the travel agent"... I thought it would be easier for all of us if I could get information together here and then see what I can come up with...

What I will be going for is a place near the convention center... I'll try to get a group rate by getting a block of rooms... what I need to know is the date(s) you want the rooms for... and how many rooms should I block off to start with... the sooner the better on something like this... especially if there is a convention going on at the time...

I'll be checking in here as often as I can... so just keep me posted... or send me an email...

Good to meet you all... and I look forward to playing a part in getting you all together....
smile.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
YAY! Look everybody... a female of the species! Man, you don't realize what a boy's club this has become until some nice-looking lady like Sasha comes traipsing through a thread...

Classes the place right up.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to the CPF Sasha.

The show is February 13-16. Probally the best time for the GT is the 15th which is a Saturday night.

The hotel must be wheelchair friendly. Location to the show is not as important if there is easy to catch shuttle.

I imagine people will get in as early as the morning of the 13 and leave as late as the morning of the 17th. Some people will just come for the weekend (arrive morning of 15th, leave afternoon of the 16th).

Cost of each is an important detail, we would like something as reasonable as possible. No need for the ritz.

On the 15th we will need a conference room or meeting hall big enough for 50-100 people.

Sasha, could you provide several options of places to stay with details and pricing. We will vote on the location and then each person will email you to get signed up. I will coordinate with you (480-752-8554) to find out how many people will be going so we can plan the GT.

Since the show is still some time from now, we will post all the details here and use email for each individual setup.

As far as getting Craig on the road, we will post a paypal link here for donations. The goal amount will be calculated once we select accomodations and reserve plane tickets, etc.

Craig, is flying ok with you?

Peter Gransee

Greta

Flashaholic
darell... awww... shucks... thanks...
wink.gif

Gransee... I'll get on it and get a few quotes together...
smile.gif

... does anyone need airline tickets too? ... email me the dates and the 'from' and 'to' and 'how many' and 'senior/non-senior' stuff and I can get some quotes there too... although it may be too early for that, it wouldn't hurt to do some checking...

Have a lovely day gentlemen!...
smile.gif

WaltH

Enlightened
Peter,
You can definitely count me in for the show. Please hold a ticket for me and let me know when you need the cash. I'm also ready with card in hand to donate toward the Craig fund as well as pick him up at the airport if need be. I've got a pickup truck, and a Suburban so shouldn't be a problem.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW...a LADY in our mist! I thought this place seemed nicer somehow...now I understand. Welcome!

Craig, I`m going to Omaha next month...flying American Airlines...and yes...it has crossed my mind...is this an Air Ben Laden flight? But I`m putting my fears aside as it would take soo long by car and cost more (hotels). Anyway, God doesn`t want me and the devils not finished giving me a bad time, so I should be safe. I admire your bravery too. As far as loosing your police chase vehicle, perhaps you could get a direct flight to reduce the chance of loss.

Sometimes the hotels can be less expensive in the Kissimmee area. Might be a good idea to look there as well.

JollyRoger

Enlightened
Welcome, Sasha! You can add me to the list. And I'd be interested in what airline rates you could get, too. Maybe a couple of quotes from some different locations would benefit everyone? I'll be coming from San Francisco / Oakland. (I think there are several other Bay Area flashaholics here, right???)

Greta

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ken B:
WOW...a LADY in our mist! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, hey, hey!... watch it with the name calling...
wink.gif

Craig... there are indeed direct flights from Seattle to Orlando... on Delta... no change of planes ... at this time, the rate is around $470... which is outrageous!... so I'd say to definately hold out for now... don't even think about Amtrak!... the cost will be well over $1,000... and it will take you DAYS!

JollyRoger (or is it just Roger?) ... same price for you out of SFO as well as OAK... best to wait also... there's time for flights...

One thing I was going to check into is which airline would cover the most destinations... If I can get most everyone on the same airline, I can negotiate a contract with that airline for a group rate of sorts... they would discount their lowest fare for anyone traveling under the contract... this is a win/win thing for everyone... I get ZERO commission right now for individual tickets... but there is a 5% commission for group contracts... plus you all get a 5% discount on the lowest published fare... so far Delta is looking like the one to go with...

Still waiting on some quotes from hotels... will let you know by the end of the week...
smile.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sasha:
Hey, hey, hey!... watch it with the name calling...
wink.gif

Craig... there are indeed direct flights from Seattle to Orlando... on Delta... no change of planes ... at this time, the rate is around $470... which is outrageous!... so I'd say to definately hold out for now... don't even think about Amtrak!... the cost will be well over $1,000... and it will take you DAYS!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Holy cow!! I thought the train would have been cheaper. I guess that means between now and next February I need to gather up the courage to climb into a flying plastic & aluminum tube. :-O

All three batteries on my chair (the two U1s and the smaller auxillary battery) are nonspillable gell-cell, so the airlines shouldn't have a beef with them. At worst, I might have to take off the center battery and have it sent in a battery box, as it has no battery tray of its own.

So what happens then, if the airline breaks my chair (i mean really smashes it up) before I get to Orlando? I don't have a credit card, so renting a scooter in Orlando for the duration of my trip isn't possible. Is there some facility for dealing with this type of situation through the airline itself?