Flashlight GT in Florida

Greta

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Is there some facility for dealing with this type of situation through the airline itself?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Craig... yes... and that is something that can and will all be pre-arranged... I may be wrong so don't hold me to it... BUT!... I think it's possible for you to take your chair on board with you... is it in any way collapsable? ... don't know how long it's been since you've flown, but the airlines have become VERY accomodating over the years... even I'm impressed... and it takes alot for the airlines to impress me...

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sasha:
Craig... yes... and that is something that can and will all be pre-arranged... I may be wrong so don't hold me to it... BUT!... I think it's possible for you to take your chair on board with you... is it in any way collapsable? ... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The chair is electric, and is *not* collapsible. It should be stowed securely in the luggage compartment like an electric mobility scooter (which I may end up using in leui of the chair anyway). As I understand, the flyer's electric wheelchair is checked in at the gate before boarding time, the batteries are disconnected (unplugged), the brake is released, and it is then wheeled outside and loaded into the belly of the aircraft. At that point, the gate agent issues a manual (push) chair for use in boarding the plane.

The reverse is supposed to occur at landing - you are wheeled off the plane in the airline's regular wheelchair, and your electric is supposed to be delivered to you somewhere in the arrival area. With any luck, you then hook the batteries back up, set the brake, and then you're free to do whatever else passengers are supposed to do (go to baggage claim, pick up your ride, get trashed at the bar, or whatever.)

At least, this is how things are *SUPPOSED* to work, assuming the airline didn't ruin your chair before giving it back to you.
tongue.gif

I don't have insurance of any type, so if they wreck it, things could get ugly, as I understand their liability is only a few hundred to perhaps just over a thousand dollars for damaged passenger goods. And I don't think CPF is up for collecting enough for a $5,000 powerchair. :-%

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gransee:

Craig, is flying ok with you?

Peter Gransee
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've never been keen on flying, and it horrifies me now. And the airlines (in general) have a less than stellar record of getting motorized scooters and wheelchairs to their destinations in working order. But if there are no other options, I may be able to be coerced into climbing into one of those plastic and metal fuel bombs and shooting across the sky at 550MPH at sub-orbital heights.
blush.gif
tongue.gif
blush.gif

I was actually hoping to be able to take a train, if there is a train station in the Orlando area and assuming there's a train or series of connecting trains that go there from Seattle. Transfers or connections between trains are not a problem with me.

But like I said, if there are no other options...

WaltH

Enlightened
Craig,
I think the chances of your wheels being damaged are pretty slim...but if they are I will get you to the nearest store the day of your arrival and get you a new one. We'll iron out the insurance thing later. You really need to do the SHOT. Especially here in FL. The weather is great that time of year. Please bring your green lasers with you. I might have one myself by then but if not I'd love to see what they're all about.

I fly quite frequently for my job and have no qualms getting on an airplane. Maybe I'm naive but I liken it to a lightening strike.

See you next year!?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WaltH:
Craig,
I think the chances of your wheels being damaged are pretty slim...but if they are I will get you to the nearest store the day of your arrival and get you a new one. We'll iron out the insurance thing later
See you next year!?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, it sounds like my @$$ is pretty well covered here. I'm still loathing the plane ride, but I feel a bit better with your offering a "safety net" in case my chair gets trashed. Watch out Orlando, 'cause here I come!
grin.gif

P.S.
I'll bring both of my greenies, if I get the strobing one back from Jahn before the trip.
smile.gif
wink.gif
cool.gif
wink.gif
smile.gif

George Orl

Newly Enlightened
Orlando has tons of hotel/motel rooms but 27 story Peabody is expensive. Lots along International Drive various prices and shuttles to Convention Ctr. Ctr is 1 mile from SeaWorld and about 5 miles to Disney, 2 miles to Universal Studios in south Orlando. Hotel/motel web site:
Orlando area motels/ hotels
Main web site for other info: http://www.icflorida.com/
Usually don't check this topic site so Email me if have questions if I forget to ck site.
George

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
if I get the strobing one back from Jahn before the trip

It might be partially my fault he`s taking so long returning it- cos it`s been sitting atop of my keyboard for the last few weeks! I`ll post it back to London soon, once things calmn down here a bit. I had no idea how much hassle getting a new PC set up and running would be! And to top it all, my internet connection wouldn`t work earlier on. Server misbehavings....

rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
Any chance on getting a deal for a Flashaholic from across the pond?

I guess now's the time to be planning to visit the SHOT Show 2003.

Al

P.S.
I don't mind a dry event. I'll be there for a couple days I expect so I can get my stomach pumped another morning...

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris M.:
if I get the strobing one back from Jahn before the trip

It might be partially my fault he`s taking so long returning it- cos it`s been sitting atop of my keyboard for the last few weeks! I`ll post it back to London soon,
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't worry about it! I haven't set a time limit on when I need it back, so take your time with it. It's been overseas for soemthing like 5 or 6 months already, so another two or three months isn't going to kill me.
smile.gif

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aw shucks !!

I was going to hang onto that green laser until forever if I could ......

Craig,
once Chris M. returns it to me, just give me one more week with it, and I'll send it back.

Unless - if I do make it to SHOT 2003, I could hand it over myself !!

lightlover

WaltH

Enlightened
OK, this post has sat dormant too long. Just wanted to bring it back to life and make sure folks are still thinking about next year. February is the time to be here. Today it's going to be 95 and humid. I love this weather but people from Michigan and Wisconsin might not care for it much.

See some of you next year.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WaltH:
Today it's going to be 95 and humid. I love this weather but people from Michigan and Wisconsin might not care for it much.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't forget Seattle. We're still struggling to get out of the 40s, and we've had just two 60 degree days since last October 5th.
blush.gif

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
We are still on for the upcoming show. I am checking to make sure the show organizers don't have a problem with so many non-dealer guests on the Arc ticket. So far, they haven't had a problem.

Still to do, travel, hotel arrangements, Craig fund raiser, invite other flashlight companies.

Peter

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gransee:
Still to do,
Craig fund raiser, invite other flashlight companies.
~~~~~~~~~~~
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You know, I wonder if any of the flashlight companies could get in on this part. After all, I do help some of them put bread on the table by virtue of my website spiking their sales punch bowl a bit.
shocked.gif

Or would it simply be too much to ask of them?

WaltH

Enlightened
Not too much to ask in my opinion.

But I don't think we'll have a problem just taking donations off this board.

Let's check into setting up a temporary thread for donations. We'll get a ballpark price from our travel agent and set a goal. Once we've achieved that goal we'll shut the thread down. We'll make sure to get more than enough and anything left over can go to the board (DavidW) for operational costs.

What do you think?

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ladies and Gentleman,

It's time to start a list of who will be in attendance for this grand event...

The sooner we get this rolling, the easier it will be to plan it.

Mr Ted Bear-4

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Assuming I can't get time off work, I'll be there. It's only 40-50 minutes away from where I live.

Let's start another thread for this.

Roll call

Latest posts