Flashlights in TV shows and movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

LetThereBeLight

Newly Enlightened
This past Monday...CSI Miami...the blonde was getting on another CSI about not having fresh batteries in the "MagLite" in the "kit". I don't know if the actors know they are using hi-tech lights or not...I don't know if the show's producers want them to make it know that they are knowledgable about the fact that they are using a hi-tech light. They usually use SureFire's from what I can remember...maybe that was just a slip of the tongue?

John

Firebladz

Newly Enlightened
LetThereBeLight said:
This past Monday...CSI Miami...the blonde was getting on another CSI about not having fresh batteries in the "MagLite" in the "kit". I don't know if the actors know they are using hi-tech lights or not...I don't know if the show's producers want them to make it know that they are knowledgable about the fact that they are using a hi-tech light. They usually use SureFire's from what I can remember...maybe that was just a slip of the tongue?

John

I saw that episode too, I think they just used "maglite" because it's probably the most widely recognized name in flashlights...

Firebladz.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I rarely watch TV "show's" much, when i do tune in it's history ch, TLC, discovery, etc. (really have gotten sick of all the forensic death, blood, autopsy crap) But I do watch movies and, (give me a break here :sweat:) "Crossing Jordan". It's funny and still has a little substance, and a strange cast.
They use streamlight's pretty much exclusively from what I can see.

It seems that the most visable Company on media seem's to be Streamlight. VDG

LEDMaster2003

Newly Enlightened
In a movie about an earthquake a girl uses an old Eveready All American lantern

In an episode of MythBusters they had some incans and a blue X5.

Also notice in alot of shows how they mess up an incan's color and usually make it a bluish-white color?

Last edited:

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
The_LED_Museum said:
On "The X-Files", they frequently use MaxaBeams, even in situations where such a large or bright light is unwarranted.

Yeah, so does dog the bounty hunter, pointing it in perp's eyes a foot or two away for a good while. I ain't smartest tool in the box but aren't those HID thing's a bit strong for even iced out G's to handle? VDG

mykall

Enlightened
I was trying to determine what Jennifer Love Hewitt was using
in that new show she's in "The Ghost Whisperer" or something like
that. Dont' know why I was watching that (and probably never again:( )
Anyway she went in the basement with the flashlight and at first it looked like
an SF but then looked like it might have been an SL. Never really got a
good look at it though.

MB

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the first episode of Ginger Snaps (that cool werewolf flick) the girls use what appears to be a Streamlight Strion, which was plugged to its charger on the wall of their little backyard house.

Anyone have seen this movie??

Oh, the Discovery Channel's Mythbusters frequently use an Inova X5 with blue LEDs, they also have a boring 3D mag.

Last edited:

square11098

Newly Enlightened
Just saw Doom last Friday and it looked like they had some sort of SF hooked up to those rifles of theirs. There was also a part where one of the guys used a red LED to check the eyes of the "rookie". Kind of surprising that one of the "Marines" had his light go out...and he didn't even have a back-up light.

Also saw The Day After Tomorrow on cable for the first time, and noticed that they seemed to be using SF M6s.

UVvis

Enlightened
FNG said:
Also seen a few SF M6's in this week's INVASION.

Ok,

What is this Invasion show I hear about? I only get armed forces feed and have never heard of it.

pathalogical

Enlightened
The one movie that really stands out for me is the scene in ET: Extra Terrestrial. The part where they are walking through the foggy forest with their bright lights piercing through the fog. I hope I'm remembering my movies correctly. I'm sure it's been on tv a few times since and it always reminds me of the first time I saw that movie. What kind of light were those ?

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I remember correctly, the flashlight's in E.T. looked like Mags. However, they were probably modded to exhibit higher brightness. You need a LOT of light to expose film correctly. Unmodded Mags typically are not bright enough, if you want to see the actors, the set AND the flashlight-light.

Schuey2002

Enlightened
sween1911 said:
In "The Hunted" with Benicio Del Toro, there's a scene in which a host of cops swarm a factory or something, all of them armed with 9P's with turboheads.
Those turboheads looked like SRTH's.. :naughty:

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Schuey2002 said:
Those turboheads looked like SRTH's.. :naughty:

Those lights are just awesome in usage. You know, that movie was on the other night. My wife was telling me something, and I did that husband trick where you turn your whole head, but keep your eyes on the TV. I couldn't stop watching as they had just entered that dank dark warehouse area and those SF's began piercing the darkness. "Yeah honey... uh huh.... mmm hmmm.... of course I'm listening to you.... " ;)

CNTSTPDRMN

Newly Enlightened
I've been noticing that on CSI NY, they've been using SF A2's w/ Red LEDs, the character that was doing autopsies that is now in the field is using one.
They've been using more and more LED Surefires in CSI Vegas & especially Miami--- Yeah I caught the maglite reference in the Miami episode too, don't know why they just didn't say "flashlight" and kept it generic---

Skyclad01

Enlightened
Outdoors Fanatic said:
In the first episode of Ginger Snaps (that cool werewolf flick) the girls use what appears to be a Streamlight Strion, which was plugged to its charger on the wall of their little backyard house.

Anyone have seen this movie??

Ginger Snaps is a GREAT movie!!! The entire trilogy is actually!

Size15's

Flashaholic
I quite liked the first movie. (I've not seen the others)
I don't think it could have been a Strion, the movie is too old.
Likely a Stinger the style is pretty consistant.

Al

Status
Not open for further replies.