Flashlights in TV shows and movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polar_Hops

Enlightened
Re: Flashlights used in TV's 'Supernatural'

I wasnt able to idnetify them either. One thing i did notice is that they are longer, with a fairly larger head than body. Maybe a stinger HP? I'd have to see the show some more.

Is it me, or do they make flashlights seem sucky in shows/movies to creep people out more?

Craig720

Enlightened

Polar_Hops said:
I wasnt able to idnetify them either. One thing i did notice is that they are longer, with a fairly larger head than body. Maybe a stinger HP? I'd have to see the show some more.

Is it me, or do they make flashlights seem sucky in shows/movies to creep people out more?

I thought the flashlights themselves looked cool. The heads definitely got my attention.

The reason flashlights in TV shows or movies about the paranormal or supernatural might appear to malfunction is that when an entity manifests itself (meaning we can see it), that visual manifestation requires power -- energy.

The energy must be drawn from somewhere.

The energy comes from you (you feel cold or lightheaded), your flashlight's batteries (the beam dims or dies), and your camera's batteries (camera will cease operating).

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast

At one point when they threw open the trunk for some reason I'm pretty sure I saw a Surefire M4. I'm also pretty sure I saw a 6P somewhere in there too and what might have been a turbohead along the way (couldn't see what body)

Navck

Enlightened
In some of the X-Files episodes, Mulder and Skully carry a 6p or something that looks like a 6p with dead batterys.
In others, they carry a ever dimmer M*g 2 or 3 C/D cell (Can't tell)

pr5owner

Newly Enlightened
Outdoors Fanatic said:
In the first episode of Ginger Snaps (that cool werewolf flick) the girls use what appears to be a Streamlight Strion, which was plugged to its charger on the wall of their little backyard house.

Anyone have seen this movie??

Oh, the Discovery Channel's Mythbusters frequently use an Inova X5 with blue LEDs, they also have a boring 3D mag.

yeah gingersnaps is a canadian film, theres ginger snaps 2 and 3 as well, dont remember the flashlight however i do have the movie so ill check it out later

CLHC

Flashaholic
Blazer said:
OK expert Flashaholics, I've been searching for a while and couldn't find anything about the movie S.W.A.T. and the flashlight that is used on their submachine gun. I've pasted a picture in here, it's not the greatest but can anyone tell me what the light on the gun is.

http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/swat/site/downloads/collinsize1.jpg

That appears to be a Millennium Dedicated Forend Model AB Series 9V w/2.5" Bezel a.k.a. M500AB/M510AB. The claimed output on that is 225 Lumens max and was intended for close to medium range applications. Hope that answers your question.

Last edited by a moderator:

Size15's

Flashaholic
The "AB" and "M97" Millennium WeaponLights use the same TurboHead and Lamp Assemblies as the M3T.

BTW, the lumen output is not a "maximum" or "peak" of 225 lumens for the MN16. SureFire doesn't rate it's products like that. The maximum is likely to me in the order of 300 lumens but only for less than a minute. SureFire's lumen output are realistic based on the runtime/output curves etc.

Al

CLHC

Flashaholic
Well put Al.

I was just quoting from their, SureFire Tactical Products 2005

"225 lumens max output*"

*Using optional ultra high-output lamp

Page 23

Size15's

Flashaholic
yeah I realise :shrug:
Each year they get better at producing accurate information catalogs which is the main thing. They have a complex and ever changing product range. I don't envy the job of the people trying to make sure the details are right.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Size15's said:
yeah I realise :shrug:
Each year they get better at producing accurate information catalogs which is the main thing. They have a complex and ever changing product range. I don't envy the job of the people trying to make sure the details are right.

SF are my favorite overall light in the world, bullet proof, tougher and brighter then anything,,, but some times we all make the technology sound the the 1-3 $Mil digital protool's studio's I make my living in :p VDG

Sleestak

Newly Enlightened
elgarak said:
If I remember correctly, the flashlight's in E.T. looked like Mags. However, they were probably modded to exhibit higher brightness. You need a LOT of light to expose film correctly. Unmodded Mags typically are not bright enough, if you want to see the actors, the set AND the flashlight-light.

IIRC, the flashlights were stock, but one of the effects the used was sensitive film that made the lights look fiercy bright. They filmed in a very dark environment with very sensitive film, and that made the lights look very bright. Can't remember exactly, but something I saw somewhere on special effects.

I think the reason they did this was the same reason the X-Files always used Maxabeams - to project a 'beam' effect through the humidity/dust and produce a 'close in effect'. Provides for more tension in the X-Files, because it gives a kind of tension due to a perceived 'crush' of environment. Also, instead of a simple flashlight in their hands, and a spot of light chasing around, they get the neat effect of this blue beam lancing around.

In Close Encounters, I think the effect was done to provide an E.T.'s perspective of the oncoming humans: terrifying pursuers with lights that would absolutely not fail to find him. I think that the lights here were meant to be an extension of the people holding them, their beams were connected to the people by the visible 'beam' and its touch was almost the same as having one of the humans grabbing him with a hand. The thing that makes him burst into a run is when one of the light beams starts lighting him up.

Again, I can't remember where I saw this, but it was a 'making of' kind of thing. In several places, they kind of make the movie from E.T.'s perspective.

Sleestak

Newly Enlightened
Sleestak said:
IIRC, the flashlights were stock, but one of the effects the used was sensitive film that made the lights look fiercy bright. They filmed in a very dark environment with very sensitive film, and that made the lights look very bright. Can't remember exactly, but something I saw somewhere on special effects.

I think the reason they did this was the same reason the X-Files always used Maxabeams - to project a 'beam' effect through the humidity/dust and produce a 'close in effect'. Provides for more tension in the X-Files, because it gives a kind of tension due to a perceived 'crush' of environment. Also, instead of a simple flashlight in their hands, and a spot of light chasing around, they get the neat effect of this blue beam lancing around.

In Close Encounters, I think the effect was done to provide an E.T.'s perspective of the oncoming humans: terrifying pursuers with lights that would absolutely not fail to find him. I think that the lights here were meant to be an extension of the people holding them, their beams were connected to the people by the visible 'beam' and its touch was almost the same as having one of the humans grabbing him with a hand. The thing that makes him burst into a run is when one of the light beams starts lighting him up.

Again, I can't remember where I saw this, but it was a 'making of' kind of thing. In several places, they kind of make the movie from E.T.'s perspective.

Also wanted to add: I've always gotten a kick when someone is using a Maxalight on a show. When they pan the light around, they are always very careful not to put the beam into the camera lens. They try to be careful and keep from blasting it with light. 'Skully' was better at it than 'Mulder,' because he sometimes kind of whited out the camera for a second or two.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the remake of Battlestar Galactica, Starbuck climbed inside a downed Cylon raider and used a Streamlight Scorpion held in her mouth.

Stream

Enlightened
BrianChan said:
Anyone knows what light Keanu Reeves use in Constantine? It's mounted on his crossbow.

Looked like some sort of specially built light to me. It seemed to be the same color and styling as the crossbow, probably a specially made or restyled common flashlight modified with HID and CR123 batteries.

You gotta love the way he banishes demons in the film: "Into the light I command Thee!" Try that one the next time you're trying to convert a non-flashaholic lol

LetThereBeLight said:
This past Monday...CSI Miami...the blonde was getting on another CSI about not having fresh batteries in the "MagLite" in the "kit".
I haven't seen that episode, but I remember another reference to MagLite on CSI: Miami. In an episode where a bank robbery is committed during a Tsunami (using the Tsunami as cover). The detectives go over a hardware store receipt from one of the suspects, one of the items they read out is "a MiniMaglite". To me this just smacks of product placement. Product placement seems to be very common on TV shows and even in Movies (remember the clever Chevy billboard in Constantine?). Unenlightened people watching the show will instantly jump to the conclusion that the actors on the show are using Mags, boosting Mag sales and reinforcing the widely held misconception that Mags are so great. I remember a time when I thought all the flashlights I saw on TV and in movies were Mags lol.

CNTSTPDRMN said:
I've been noticing that on CSI NY, they've been using SF A2's w/ Red LEDs, the character that was doing autopsies that is now in the field is using one.
They've been using more and more LED Surefires in CSI Vegas & especially Miami---
In the first season of CSI: NY I only ever saw Scorpions (it seemed to be the only flashlight they used). Same with CSI: Miami, except some LED lights that I've been unable to identify (probably Surefires, like you mentioned). On Vegas the two lights they seemed to be using exclusively were SL UltraStinger and SL Scorpion (xenon). Not sure how many seasons behind we are over here in Norway so you guys may have noticed something I haven't seen yet.

Kershaw

Enlightened
On the UPN series Veronica Mars, Kieth Mars (Veronica's father) uses a surefire M3t for his night time detective work.

Kershaw

Enlightened
Firebladz said:
I saw that episode too, I think they just used "maglite" because it's probably the most widely recognized name in flashlights...

Firebladz.

Check out this link. Scroll down to "Maglite" on the list of tools.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Fox's television series "Bones" was another one that showed a SureFire (6P or G2?—forgot) where the FBI agent was chasing that Ranger in the woods. He dropped it and it failed on him. Now, what's with that? He he he. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.