Flashlights in TV shows and movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: m6 in "Transformers"

Yeah I noticed the M6 too.. made a wild guess from the moment I saw the light shining into the camera (estimating the bezel size, i guessed it wasn't a mag..haha) .... seems to be a popular light for most movies. I wonder whether they picked it up from another movie or someone in the props dept is a flashaholic; cuz if I didn't know better, I would just buy a mag for filming!

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I watched "Shooter" with the Wife. She pointed out that Agent Memphis was using a Surefire (G2). Thats my Girl!!!

defusion

Enlightened
I watched "Shooter" with the Wife. She pointed out that Agent Memphis was using a Surefire (G2). Thats my Girl!!!
what? i missed something :|
usually i notice such stuff, but i don't recall from watching shooter. I even watched it twice!

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the new series Burn Notice, the main character uses a Streamlight Scorpion when searching someone's house - mouth holding it at one time. Good enough view of it to easily identify it.

jml90

Newly Enlightened
In the new series Burn Notice, the main character uses a Streamlight Scorpion when searching someone's house - mouth holding it at one time. Good enough view of it to easily identify it.

That;s what I thought it was! I think there was one in 1408 aswell that he uses to look in a duct and to spot a sign. Watching US Marshalls the other night they used Magchargers when the plane went down.

1wrx7

Enlightened
I could see SF M500 dedicated front ends on the M4's. Most of them seemed to have turbo heads but I couldn't tell if they were 3 cell or 6 cell. Whenever I've seen MP5's they use the SF dedicated front ends as well.

Could you see which Make & Models they were using?

TorchEnvy

Newly Enlightened
Re: CSI: NY: Duracell product placement

Unlike Trailer Park Boys, where everything is blurred out but you know they're still in front of a Tim Hortons !!! lol

And to think I got hooked on that show simply because I ran across a reference to it in the Wiki article for the band Rush, where it mentions Alex Lifeson's appearance on the show. Suddenly I've watched four seasons. Thank you, Netflix! :thumbsup:

CLHC

Flashaholic
Well, in one of the photo group shot of the Chapmans (of Dog the Bounty Hunter), one of the fellows is pointing a Tri.Lux.Maglite of some sort. . .

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Well, in one of the photo group shot of the Chapmans (of Dog the Bounty Hunter), one of the fellows is pointing a Tri.Lux.Maglite of some sort. . .

I've noticed that they'll often-times use large, hand-held spotlights. Can't tell from which company though.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Sign of being a flashaholic: You use the back and still button on TiVo and DVD player whenever a flashlight passes by, to identify it (even if other family members are present).

LOL! Just did that tonight while watching the original Stargate SG1 movie. Got general "What is your problem" & "Leave it the F@#$ alone." They were using Maxabeam before they got killed in the pyramid. I then tried to explain how that light works, but they began huring stuff at me.:crackup:

DM51

Flashaholic
LOL! Just did that tonight while watching the original Stargate SG1 movie. Got general "What is your problem" & "Leave it the F@#$ alone." They were using Maxabeam before they got killed in the pyramid. I then tried to explain how that light works, but they began huring stuff at me.:crackup:
LOL, I'm very relieved to hear I'm not the only one. I get pitying looks and a chorus of groans from my family when I do this, and then if I try to explain I get shouted down, lol.

senna94

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was watching an old classic "Airport 77" yesterday and saw the pilot using a pretty bright Maglite looking flashlight. If any of you recall it is the scene where the captain goes down to the cargo hold. I would say it is a ROP,but I don't think they existed back then. A special Hollywood mod?? Any ideas??
:shrug:

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was watching an old classic "Airport 77" yesterday and saw the pilot using a pretty bright Maglite looking flashlight. If any of you recall it is the scene where the captain goes down to the cargo hold. I would say it is a ROP,but I don't think they existed back then. A special Hollywood mod?? Any ideas??
:shrug:

Pretty sure that's a mod. None of the unmodded flashlights before 1980 or so showed up nicely on film. That's a combined effect of off-the-shelf flashlights getting brighter, and film sensitivities getting higher. In the early 80s, a big leap of sensitivities seemed to happen. Now Maglites at least showed some light, but were still rather dim. If they wanted them light up, they had to be modded. Quite often with hidden cables to the nearest power outlet.

I was watching the original "Mission: Impossible" TV show from 1968, and there you had a hard time noticing the lights were even on, unless they photographed directly into it.

Before that, in the 50s, I quite often noticed that they simulated the effect of the handheld light with an off camera, cable powered spotlight. It's pretty hilarious when you see the beam not doing what the actor's doing, when the spotlight operator missed out.

jml90

Newly Enlightened
Watching CMT I saw a Rodney Atkins video for "These Are My People" he looked like he was using a Thor spotlight to look into the crowd.

Flashlight Enthusiast
in the movie Poseidon they had about 5 surefire M4s and i think they were painted orange to look like emergency lights, they had the lanyards too i think!

U beat me to it i was going to say the same thing a few weeks ago when i watched it fully on tv

Status
Not open for further replies.