Flashlights in TV shows and movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED light used in movie "the omen"

did anyone see the movie the Omen in 2006?
the reporter used a handheld LED light that resemble a M6. It was powerful light. I just can't identify it. I knew it was LED because it had slight bluish tint.

coldlocus

Newly Enlightened
Re: LED light used in movie "the omen"

did anyone see the movie the Omen in 2006?
the reporter used a handheld LED light that resemble a M6. It was powerful light. I just can't identify it. I knew it was LED because it had slight bluish tint.

+1 on that question.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Bill

Hahahahahaha, just watched the Bill, which is a British police series. The flashlight they pulled out to investigate a crime scene was pathetic. You could miss a whole body with that thing, never mind a subtle clue. But at least it was genuinely a yellowish beam, unlike a Hollywood 'pure bright white' beam which evidently has been visually enhanced.:thumbsdow

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: The Bill

I should think I'd be very suprised if they pulled out any decent torch on that show. It is a low budget soap after all.

I do remember they had some Dragon lights to illuminate a 'jumper' at a block of flats once. That was back in the days of only twice a week though.

Be lucky...

999snafu

Newly Enlightened

To be honest though, that is a fair representation of what most british cops carry.

I'm a british cop, (I carry an Orb Raw, a Gladius and modded Mag) but apart from me I can only think of two cops who carry a decent torch.

One has an SF G2 and the other an SF 9P, apart from that I've never seen a cop with anything other than a standard 2AA or 2AAA Minimag or at most a standard 2D Mag. (theres even quite a few who just don't have torches at all believe it or not!!!)

Norm

Retired Administrator

The Bill used to be one of my favourite shows, I would never miss an episode, unfortunately it has gone down hill over the past couple of years.
Norm

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never seen "The Bill", but I doubt that the yellowness of the beam is the result of lacking "visual enhancement". It's merely the crappy lighting combined with a crappy light that is so predominant on British television -- I call it "BBC photography".

Monocrom

Flashaholic

To be honest though, that is a fair representation of what most british cops carry.

I'm a british cop, (I carry an Orb Raw, a Gladius and modded Mag) but apart from me I can only think of two cops who carry a decent torch.

One has an SF G2 and the other an SF 9P, apart from that I've never seen a cop with anything other than a standard 2AA or 2AAA Minimag or at most a standard 2D Mag. (theres even quite a few who just don't have torches at all believe it or not!!!)

So what do they do if a susperct runs into a darkened warehouse??

flash_bang

Enlightened

my guess is let them go, call for backup, plunge headlong into the black abyss, or some combination thereof.
I'm trying to spot some flashlights on commericals and in the news, but nothing so far :(
HAGO!
Flash

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hahahahahaha, just watched the Bill, which is a British police series. The flashlight they pulled out to investigate a crime scene was pathetic. You could miss a whole body with that thing, never mind a subtle clue. But at least it was genuinely a yellowish beam, unlike a Hollywood 'pure bright white' beam which evidently has been visually enhanced.:thumbsdow

Flashlight beams are probably not visually enhanced! You will notice, when we see the light coming from the flashlights, it's almost always bright white. When we see the spot on objects, it's now yellowish. Incan light emit a lot of infrared light from it's window/lens and cameras are usually sensitive to infrared. But when we see object, they absorb the infrared and don't reflect them, like they can reflect some colors, so only yellow stay. A good test you can do is with a digicam and a remote control. Point the IR diode to the camera, and look in the camera screen, then push a button. You will see the diode illuminate while it stays completely dark when you look directly at it! ;)

What I explained was true with what I've seen recently in the movie "Shooter". The guy had a SureFire G2, when we saw directly the flashlight, pure white light was coming out of it. But when we saw the hotspot, it was yellowish. The funny part is that I think it was a nice real world beam shot example of the G2! ;) I now want the G2L since a few folks here said the beam was about the same! :)

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast

Flashlight beams are probably not visually enhanced! You will notice, when we see the light coming from the flashlights, it's almost always bright white. When we see the spot on objects, it's now yellowish. Incan light emit a lot of infrared light from it's window/lens and cameras are usually sensitive to infrared. But when we see object, they absorb the infrared and don't reflect them, like they can reflect some colors, so only yellow stay. A good test you can do is with a digicam and a remote control. Point the IR diode to the camera, and look in the camera screen, then push a button. You will see the diode illuminate while it stays completely dark when you look directly at it! ;)

What I explained was true with what I've seen recently in the movie "Shooter". The guy had a SureFire G2, when we saw directly the flashlight, pure white light was coming out of it. But when we saw the hotspot, it was yellowish. The funny part is that I think it was a nice real world beam shot example of the G2! ;) I now want the G2L since a few folks here said the beam was about the same! :)
Another, more important problem, is that movies are made with a camera (and usually film emulsion) that has a vastly different spectral (color) response than the naked eye and other (still photography) cameras and film emulsions. Just compare the color appearance of a "making of" video, set or prop photographss with that of the same scene or prop appearing in the movie.

The film emulsion is adjusted to let incan light appear white, like sunlight -- for nearly a century, that was the only way to get artificial lighting for the shooting of movies, with the artificial light used to emulate sunlight quite often.

The aforementioned "BBC photography" stands out, to me, since they do not get this color balance right.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Does anybody watch Dexter? I don't have HD TV so I wasn't able to make out the exact model used by Angel Batista in Circle of Friends (Season 1, Episode 7)
I think it could be a SureFire 12ZM - it appears to have an SRTH and be four-SF123A's long.

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am watching "CSI:NY" right now; as has been pointed out repeatedly, they use a Surefire A2 (with red LEDs) on the show, which, strangely, clicks :) (one of my pet peeves). However, in this episode (the last of season 2) they overdid it -- the light clicks twice, for the red separate from the main beam. But only when you can see the reds coming on -- in most other scenes they used a simple one click sound.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
In "CSI," Catherine uses a Surefire M4 Devastator in several episodes.

REparsed

Newly Enlightened
Tom Hanks 'Castaway' light

What flashlight did Tom Hanks have in the movie 'Castaway'? It's been a while since I've seen the movie but I remember it was a small EDC that he recovered from the dead pilot's pocket.

What flashlight should he of had? Maybe a solar led light?

turbodog

Flashaholic
Re: Tom Hanks 'Castaway' light

Solar led?

NO.

Green laser.

Point it at an aircraft.... and he would have been rescued (and jailed) by nightfall.

:p

Burgess

Flashaholic
Re: Tom Hanks 'Castaway' light

How about . . . .

Any Fenix with an S-O-S mode !

:whistle:___:nana:___:dedhorse:

_

Status
Not open for further replies.