powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
july052008hilltopMedium.jpg

july052008hilltop013Medium.jpg

Feb22008005Large.jpg

march-1.jpg

Patriot

Flashaholic
Nice powernoodle. I've always been a CZ75 fan because of the low reciprocating mass of the slide. Those guns only produce about 60% of the recoil impulse of a USP or XD, and a little less than the Glock also. One of the best designs ever.

Mercaptan

Enlightened
fnp1ly6.jpg

fnp2ym7.jpg

Sorry I didn't include a knife... oh god! The horror!

MMM, I love my new FNP-45. Nothing like 15+1 capacity of .45 ACP in a DA/SA package with external hammer, manual safety, decocker, and firing pin lock.

Now for an X-300 Surefire for that rail!

Last edited:

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
I may not be rich, but my gear gets the job done. The top knife you see is my "self defense knife "though you should run away if posible", I know it may not cost as much as most of the $100+ knifes on this thread but I never use it and if I had to I wouldn't be able to keep it anyways. If I need a real knife I use my Swiss champ I EDC. I didn't bother posting an EDC light because if the chips were down I would much rather have the RayOvac at my side "poor man's M6" I can throw 500+ lumens for a realistic time of over 2 hours. As for as the gun, that's my S&W M28 Highway Patrolman, it's got a sweet trigger pull of only 1.7 pound in single action. And the ammo you see it the most ballisticly destructive .357 magnum ammo ever loaded:devil:, it's 125dr. Gold dot H.P. bullets loaded over enough power to produce 1766 f.p.s. out of a 6in. barrel. Thus producing more than twice the energy of a standard .45 ACP loaded from Corbon or Hornady being fired out of the same length barrel. While also surpassing the maximum power a level III-A ballistic vest can defeat.

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Sorry Jugg, but your trigger scale may be broken if it's indicating a 1lb double action trigger. Maybe you meant 10lbs though which is still respectable for a N frame. :)

Gunsmiths who can achieve a sub 8lb trigger pull on K, L, & N frames and still prove to be functionally reliable are a very rare breed and very expensive. I used to shoot a S&W JP 686 in competition and it was tuned to a very light 8lbs. Jerry Miculik shoots his record setting revolvers at about 9lbs double action pull which is about as light as he can go without out cycling the speed of the action.

The muzzle engery (ME) measured in kinetic energy (KE), disproportionately favors projectiles moving at high velocity and can make them seem more powerful than they actually are. For example, a .223 roughly equates to a (ME) of 1250 ft-lbf, while a .44 mag roughly equates to a (ME) of 1000 ft-lbf. It would appear the the .223 would be better for defending yourself from a black bear because of the higher muzzle energy, but it isn't. One good way to measure relative energies is to calculate the weight of the projectile x its velocity. In other words a 125 grain projectile traveling at 1750 feet per second equates to a Power Factor (PF) of 218,750 (125 x 1750). A 230gr .45 projectile traveling at 900 fps equates to a (PF) of 207,000 (230 X 900). As you can see, when using the more realistic Power Factor formula the .357 doesn't produce twice the amount of relative energy or recoil of the .45. When taking the same (PF) formula to the .223 vs. the .44 mag the figures are, 55gr x 3200fps = 176,000 (PF) and 240gr x 1500fps = 360,000, which is also about the difference that the shooter feels in recoil.

Regarding level III-A ballistic protection, remember that it's a minimum rating and will likely protect against threats of higher standards. Level II will likely prevent the level III-A test standard from penetrating. Likewise the Level III-A prevents penetration much higher than its test standard of 9mm FMJ submachine gun. The limiting factor is usually blunt trauma to the back side of the vest that the National Institute of Justice specifies as 44mm into a soft clay test surface. A trauma plate in conjunction with Level III-A can easily handle energies that far exceed 124gr FMJ at 1400fps. If you have some special reason to defeat III-A armor, I would suggest rifle calibers.

I like your picture and your Rayovac! :thumbsup: What kind of bulb does that thing use?

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
now heres a man with an eye for quality. i think ill keep my .22 Beretta with sound suppressor well hidden:)

Are you kidding! You better share that little Beretta. I love suppressors! Is it a Tomcat / Gemtech marriage? I'd love to see it.
:popcorn:

Last edited:

Metatron

Banned
Are you kidding! You better share that little Beretta. I love suppressors! Is it a Tomcat / Gemtech marriage? I'd love to see it.
:popcorn:
afraid not mate, in another life i designed and manufactured noise suppressors for certain clientele, started as a hobby really for my own curiosity and it just went from there. i must admit though that i did take apart a french suppressor to gain some understanding as to the process. wasnt overly impressed with their design, so i left it to my imagination and limited understanding and after a few misses i hit the ultimate in suppression without compromise to ordinance accuracy. now i am talking 13 years ago and i have no idea as to what is on the market now...

Patriot

Flashaholic
after a few misses i hit the ultimate in suppression without compromise to ordinance accuracy. now i am talking 13 years ago and i have no idea as to what is on the market now...

Ah....understandable. There has literally been an industry explosion in suppressor technology over the past 5-7 years, primarily lead by three companies. They're achieving more suppression and increased robustness with ever decreasing size.

Metatron

Banned
Ah....understandable. There has literally been an industry explosion in suppressor technology over the past 5-7 years, primarily lead by three companies. They're achieving more suppression and increased robustness with ever decreasing size.
hmm, just browsing the sites now, my god, there r even sites with explanation on how to go about building suppressors, good grief, lol, in those days, sans computers, it was trial and error. those were the days, lol, now in australia a pea shooter has to be licensed. bloody do gooders:mad:

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry Jugg, but your trigger scale may be broken if it's indicating a 1lb double action trigger. Maybe you meant 10lbs though which is still respectable for a N frame. :)

Gunsmiths who can achieve a sub 8lb trigger pull on K, L, & N frames and still prove to be functionally reliable are a very rare breed and very expensive. I used to shoot a S&W JP 686 in competition and it was tuned to a very light 8lbs. Jerry Miculik shoots his record setting revolvers at about 9lbs double action pull which is about as light as he can go without out cycling the speed of the action.

The muzzle engery (ME) measured in kinetic energy (KE), disproportionately favors projectiles moving at high velocity and can make them seem more powerful than they actually are. For example, a .223 roughly equates to a (ME) of 1250 ft-lbf, while a .44 mag roughly equates to a (ME) of 1000 ft-lbf. It would appear the the .223 would be better for defending yourself from a black bear because of the higher muzzle energy, but it isn't. One good way to measure relative energies is to calculate the weight of the projectile x its velocity. In other words a 125 grain projectile traveling at 1750 feet per second equates to a Power Factor (PF) of 218,750 (125 x 1750). A 230gr .45 projectile traveling at 900 fps equates to a (PF) of 207,000 (230 X 900). As you can see, when using the more realistic Power Factor formula the .357 doesn't produce twice the amount of relative energy or recoil of the .45. When taking the same (PF) formula to the .223 vs. the .44 mag the figures are, 55gr x 3200fps = 176,000 (PF) and 240gr x 1500fps = 360,000, which is also about the difference that the shooter feels in recoil.

Regarding level III-A ballistic protection, remember that it's a minimum rating and will likely protect against threats of higher standards. Level II will likely prevent the level III-A test standard from penetrating. Likewise the Level III-A prevents penetration much higher than its test standard of 9mm FMJ submachine gun. The limiting factor is usually blunt trauma to the back side of the vest that the National Institute of Justice specifies as 44mm into a soft clay test surface. A trauma plate in conjunction with Level III-A can easily handle energies that far exceed 124gr FMJ at 1400fps. If you have some special reason to defeat III-A armor, I would suggest rifle calibers.

I like your picture and your Rayovac! :thumbsup: What kind of bulb does that thing use?

Ayyy! Some one here actually knows about ballistics besides me "I'm sure more people do to though"! Wow I was like what are you talking about my trigger pull is registering about 1.7 pounds….. And than I saw that I typed it got this in double action! Ha ya right:eek::whistle:! My bad I meant single action, In double action it's about 9 and a half pounds. I shoot competition rim fire matches for my local gun club and finally bought myself a used Anschutz rifle and the trigger pull is about the same on my M28 however There is less creep on the pull in M28 than the Anschutz. Really it's almost to light, but I didn't have it set up this way. The guy I bought it from used it in pistol matches, so what ever he liked I got stuck with. Any way about muzzle energy, The way to really understand the true capability of a bullet on impact on a specific target is very difficult due to the various formulas used out there. I was simply stating the actual mathematical muzzle energy which in such case as the 5.56x45mm would show much higher numbers that say a 44 magnum "though I've found places that will load 44 mag. Hotter that .223" anyways formula you stated is basically the TKO one I often use that will show more accurate results of various cartridges compared to each other. Such as a .223 making 5.18 while a .45 acp will make 14. I would agree that the .45 has more knock down power than it's high velocity .233 counterpart. However the .357 magnum I speak of is one of the best all round ballistic cartridges I've found so far. It may have a TKO of 11.3 which is less than the 230gr. 950fps .45 ACP the TKO method does not take hydroshock or expanding bullets in to consideration. The base line is to dump as much energy into a object as you can while just making it to the necessary penetration desired. In which case the 125gr. Gold dot h.p will expand to a tested .71 inches while retaining 92% of it's weight at the specified velocity of 1750fps while penetrating around 14 inches of ballistic gel. Thus it will dump all of it's 840 ft lb of energy in to a man size target while a round like a 230gr. F.M.J. .45 will most likely over penetrate only dumping some of it's 425 ft lb of energy in to it's target. Not that I'm knocking the .45 ACP, 9mm, or S&W .40 cal "they are all very good stopping cartridges" The round I speaks of is simply a very extreme version of a normally loaded .357 magnum at nearly 42,000 psi . While when I said the round will defect level III-A ballistic vest I didn't mean penetrate, just cause more that the normal allowed trauma to the wearer "Not that I'm trying to defeat vests or something:ohgeez:, but I was just showing how hot the load I have is".
Thanks for clearing up the trigger pull misprint I made:oops:.

Oh and the RayOvac uses a old 4416 par36, I had a new 4416 but it produced a wide ugly beam, than my father found an old car spotlight from the early 80's with a 4416 bulb which was built completely different than the new style. It puts out a much brighter tighter beam than my other one. Any ways these par bulbs have the highest life rating I've seen at 300 hours:eek: I figure if I don't over drive them then they'll last for quite along time, and I shouldn't have to worry about them blowing out when I need them most:twothumbs.