Flat rectangular flashlight

matt4350

Enlightened
Evening all! I've been checking out some of the flatter lights, decided I need one. So far I've found the Nitecore EDC27 (don't like the possibility of accidental activation and the greenish tint), the OLight Arkfeld (again reported as having a greenish tint in the NW version), the Streamlight Wedge (would be perfect it it had a low setting) and the Surefire Stilletto (terribly expensive in comparison).

What else would be worth having a look at? I really don't need more than around 300 lumens for most work, and some type of low setting. I'd prefer NW or even WW over CW, but it's not a 'must have'. The light simply has to be flat so it can slide into a pocket or perhaps be worn on the webbing straps of a vest.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this!

Here is a listing I put up. I have a Wedge modified to a high CRI emitter for sale. Nichia 519A (domed) 4500K, nice neutral beam.

I also have a modified EDC27 that I haven't listed yet. It too has been modified; it has high CRI 3000K dual XML emitters. Warmer tint; it's also the revised version with a proximity sensor that steps down high and turbo if anything gets too close.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
they are different. 90-95% of all lights are round and flat and rectangular is a change. That and they won't roll😁 kinda like lights that are anodized in something other than black. It just gets old.they are more compact as well but think that's just a bonus.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Evening all! I've been checking out some of the flatter lights, decided I need one. So far I've found the Nitecore EDC27 (don't like the possibility of accidental activation and the greenish tint), the OLight Arkfeld (again reported as having a greenish tint in the NW version), the Streamlight Wedge (would be perfect it it had a low setting) and the Surefire Stilletto (terribly expensive in comparison).

What else would be worth having a look at? I really don't need more than around 300 lumens for most work, and some type of low setting. I'd prefer NW or even WW over CW, but it's not a 'must have'. The light simply has to be flat so it can slide into a pocket or perhaps be worn on the webbing straps of a vest.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this!
Is this for LE or military use?

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Before I posted that I forgot I had a Streamlight Sidewinder which I think of as an angle head light. It is so bulky that I got a Raine pouch for it and really never use it nowadays. When I did use it it was for a tent light or for ceiling bouncing to light up a room.

Galane

Newly Enlightened
Arkfeld 2 is thinner. The magnetic charger sticks out a bit past the edges. It also replaces the green LASER with a UV LED.

matt4350

Enlightened
Last edited:

matt4350

Enlightened
LE. I've got the venerable Malkoff MD4 with the M91 head for a duty light, but I want something different for when I'm not working outdoors. I intend to use my new light for searching rooms and hallways in a non-tactical situation. I've got an Elzetta Brazo with a warm Malkoff drop-in which will certainly do the job perfectly, but I'm keen to just have a try of something different. 😊
Is this for LE or military use?

matt4350

Enlightened
Here is a listing I put up. I have a Wedge modified to a high CRI emitter for sale. Nichia 519A (domed) 4500K, nice neutral beam.

I also have a modified EDC27 that I haven't listed yet. It too has been modified; it has high CRI 3000K dual XML emitters. Warmer tint; it's also the revised version with a proximity sensor that steps down high and turbo if anything gets too close.
Mate, that Wedge has me interested. I may be able to live without a low setting if I'm getting some Nichia goodness. That said, your EDC27 sounds like the bee's knees. When do you think you might be listing it? Would you have any issue posting to Australia? I see by your avatar you're a person of impeccable taste so I know either of these lights would make me happy!

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
What do you think of it? I'll get the majority of my use indoors.
Well I only bought my first one because I had the impression that Streamlight wasn't made in USA anymore and I should get something from them while I could. I have the Sidewinder which I don't believe is being made anymore. Some colours cost less than others and the pouch is the same way. You can save a bundle by getting the stuff that doesn't look as good or matches your gear.

It is one of the first lights I go to use in real life but one of the last I would pick if I thought about it. It uses AA rechargables and the lid is cable attached to the light which is a neat idea. It has different LEDs but IR so ITAR controlled item if you live outside USA.

It isn't very bright but thats fine for most uses. It is adjustable in brightness by a button on the side, turn to use different LEDs. It has a clip for your webbing and a lanyard ring. It isn't a bad light at all just not very exciting. I'm on my second or third one.

Raine makes a pouch for it and paired with a Storacell makes for a great bit of camping kit.

Mate, that Wedge has me interested. I may be able to live without a low setting if I'm getting some Nichia goodness. That said, your EDC27 sounds like the bee's knees. When do you think you might be listing it? Would you have any issue posting to Australia? I see by your avatar you're a person of impeccable taste so I know either of these lights would make me happy!
PM sent