Flat rectangular flashlight

3_gun

Enlightened
The Emisar DT8 or DT8k behave like a rectangle light even tho they still use a standard 18650 or 21700 battery. It rides in my pocket just fine & you only have like 28 choices of LED to use in the light. Plus you can get the duel channel light with flood, throw or flood & throw optic. It also used Anduril software so you can make the light whatever you want/need it to be

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
LE. I've got the venerable Malkoff MD4 with the M91 head for a duty light, but I want something different for when I'm not working outdoors. I intend to use my new light for searching rooms and hallways in a non-tactical situation. I've got an Elzetta Brazo with a warm Malkoff drop-in which will certainly do the job perfectly, but I'm keen to just have a try of something different. 😊
Well, being a US citizen, I would recommend the SureFire Stiletto Pro, but then, I'm biased to USA made products. I can understand your reluctance given that A) it is expensive, and B) the manufacturer is a long distance away.

I like the form factor and the specs of the Stiletto Pro, with the following exceptions A) I'm not convinced the MaxVision Beam is the best choice for the light, but then again I have never had a MVB-type SureFire. B) I don't like that it doesn't have a user replaceable battery, and that when the battery goes bad, you have to return it to SF for service, i.e. battery replacement. That would mean a long wait for you in Australia.

Other than those exceptions, I heartily recommend that you choose the SF Stiletto Pro. The price will be forgotten as you enjoy the light. I have NEVER regretted buying the highest quality product I could find, even if it was expensive.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you buy a light abroad it can be significantly more expensive. I bought a £130 light and after shipping, exchange, and bank fees it was nearly $353!

AU is never a cheap place to buy anything and NZ is prob worse. I helped a bloke in Taz buy electronics here once. Local price was 750 aud here it was like 230 usd.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you buy a light abroad it can be significantly more expensive. I bought a £130 light and after shipping, exchange, and bank fees it was nearly $353!

AU is never a cheap place to buy anything and NZ is prob worse. I helped a bloke in Taz buy electronics here once. Local price was 750 aud here it was like 230 usd.
I know what you mean. I spent a year in France one July... :rolleyes:

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a lot of French speaking friends once, one being French. Well I suggest to French one that he should go to cafes more often. Here going to Tim Hortans is as low as $0.39 to maybe a few dollars there a cafe is 25€. I guess things are cheap in USA with my state being below national averages on prices.

I would only dream of going to France but a week is 15000€........

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flat lights are coming back in fashion again I suppose, Foxfury sell these Scout Clip lights, pretty handy but mine is so old the rubberised armour is "mildly" tacky to the touch, I like the flashing alternating LED modes and output settings and would probably consider it best suited to be worn on a load bearing vest, duty belt (or similar) 😉

Details @ Foxfury Scout 👍

20230706_162652.jpg

Last edited:

matt4350

Enlightened
Well I only bought my first one because I had the impression that Streamlight wasn't made in USA anymore and I should get something from them while I could. I have the Sidewinder which I don't believe is being made anymore. Some colours cost less than others and the pouch is the same way. You can save a bundle by getting the stuff that doesn't look as good or matches your gear.

It is one of the first lights I go to use in real life but one of the last I would pick if I thought about it. It uses AA rechargables and the lid is cable attached to the light which is a neat idea. It has different LEDs but IR so ITAR controlled item if you live outside USA.

It isn't very bright but thats fine for most uses. It is adjustable in brightness by a button on the side, turn to use different LEDs. It has a clip for your webbing and a lanyard ring. It isn't a bad light at all just not very exciting. I'm on my second or third one.

Raine makes a pouch for it and paired with a Storacell makes for a great bit of camping kit.
Thanks mate, I will look into getting one for camping a bit further down the track but at the moment I may have the need for something a bit brighter I think. Cheers!

matt4350

Enlightened
I had a lot of French speaking friends once, one being French. Well I suggest to French one that he should go to cafes more often. Here going to Tim Hortans is as low as $0.39 to maybe a few dollars there a cafe is 25€. I guess things are cheap in USA with my state being below national averages on prices.

I would only dream of going to France but a week is 15000€........
Yer, exchange rate is a killer. When I bought my Malkoff and Elzettas I took a hit, especially with international postage. There was a brief period when our dollar matched yours, should have bought up big!

matt4350

Enlightened
The Emisar DT8 or DT8k behave like a rectangle light even tho they still use a standard 18650 or 21700 battery. It rides in my pocket just fine & you only have like 28 choices of LED to use in the light. Plus you can get the duel channel light with flood, throw or flood & throw optic. It also used Anduril software so you can make the light whatever you want/need it to be
Thanks for that, didn't know. Looks odd but kinda cool. Little big for what I was thinking though.

matt4350

Enlightened
Well, being a US citizen, I would recommend the SureFire Stiletto Pro, but then, I'm biased to USA made products. I can understand your reluctance given that A) it is expensive, and B) the manufacturer is a long distance away.

I like the form factor and the specs of the Stiletto Pro, with the following exceptions A) I'm not convinced the MaxVision Beam is the best choice for the light, but then again I have never had a MVB-type SureFire. B) I don't like that it doesn't have a user replaceable battery, and that when the battery goes bad, you have to return it to SF for service, i.e. battery replacement. That would mean a long wait for you in Australia.

Other than those exceptions, I heartily recommend that you choose the SF Stiletto Pro. The price will be forgotten as you enjoy the light. I have NEVER regretted buying the highest quality product I could find, even if it was expensive.
Mate I'm with you in that I dig US products, we don't have too much manufacturing of that type left in Oz anymore. Love my Malkoff, my Elzettas and my bunch of Surefires. I've got a G2X-MV and it's certainly suitable for my needs but I wonder too if the Stiletto's beam might differ quite a bit. Gotta say, the $450 they want on Amazon (AU) had me gagging! I could get a new Tactician and a G2X and a bunch of batteries for that price!

I see there's a member on here selling a couple modded rectangular lights with what should be very pleasant emitters. Being that I won't be using it while armed (only for custody duties) I think I may have to run the cheaper option. Thank you very much for your thoughts!

matt4350

Enlightened

And this is why I love this forum! I've managed to buy a few cool lights on here far more easily and less expensive than if I'd gone through the "regular" means. Used gear is great, share the love! 😊

matt4350

Enlightened
Flat lights are coming back in fashion again I suppose, Foxfury sell these Scout Clip lights, pretty handy but mine is so old the rubberised armour is "mildly" tacky to the touch, I like the flashing alternating LED modes and output settings and would probably consider it best suited to be worn on a load bearing vest, duty belt (or similar) 😉

Details @ Foxfury Scout 👍

View attachment 45816
Thanks mate, love the concept of these things. I really need something that is primarily a hand-held torch with at least a bit of throw, so I'm thinking Streamlight or Nitecore may be my best option. It will go on either a LBV or belt but not operated from there. Cheers!

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks mate, love the concept of these things. I really need something that is primarily a hand-held torch with at least a bit of throw, so I'm thinking Streamlight or Nitecore may be my best option. It will go on either a LBV or belt but not operated from there. Cheers!

One of the strengths of these mounted on a LBV would be "hands-free illumination" when having to make notes, response dockets, deploy/adjust handcuffs OR checking ID's etc and as a "safety marker" for people working in high traffic risk situations.

Another such product would be the QuiqLite 👍

Last edited:

Bull-Dozer

Newly Enlightened
---matt4350--- I took a few Streamlight Sidewinders (full sized version) on a trade to diversify the herd. At the time I didn't have any lights that fed on AA batteries. Long story long I ended up keeping one on my headboard because the shape prevents it from rolling and the selectable, low power, red and blue lights don't make my eyes bleed when I need to get up in the middle of the night. I also like that I can crank it up a bit, bounce white light off the ceiling and illuminate the entire bedroom as needed. Plus the poseable head makes just about any angle possible. At first I took them to be underpowered, eventually realizing they're just right.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really dig the SL Wedge, although I never got one. It appears to be an excellent design / execution (best I've seen). Had one on pre-order when announced, but later cancelled when delays made me wonder if perhaps there might have been issues w/ FCS (first customer ship) lights, and decided to wait. Planned to re-order it, and I still do. It's not for really low output, but I'm old and need more light, and while I like and use Hi CRI lights, the design alone will keep me interested, and I'm OK w/ the emitters on most of my SLs for general carry and use. I'm not that 'all 'er nothin' type, and the design makes up for the minor shortcomings when I do the math. Plus, reliability is P1 for me, and I'd bet it will deliver that in spades - likely best in category. Without reliability, a light can instantly become as useful as a dead stick.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
This isn't what you said you want, but it still might end up being something you want. I think it is worth taking a look at:

matt4350

Enlightened
That is really cool that you use Elzetta. I got one some time back and love it. It is everything that my Surefire 9P should be.
Yep, got myself a Bravo and a Charlie a few years back and despite the price, never regretted it. The low profile head I put on the Bravo makes it perfect to throw a Malkoff drop-in on for when I don't need high lumens and looks pretty cool to boot.

matt4350

Enlightened
One of the strengths of these mounted on a LBV would be "hands-free illumination" when having to make notes, response dockets, deploy/adjust handcuffs OR checking ID's etc and as a "safety marker" for people working in high traffic risk situations.

Another such product would be the QuiqLite 👍
Agreed, a light on the chest is great and makes things easier. I've got a Quiqlite so that side of things is covered, I want the rectangular light to search cells, hallways and common areas. Something with a little more 'oomph' but not necessarily 'tactical'.
Cheers mate!