Flat rectangular flashlight

matt4350

Enlightened
---matt4350--- I took a few Streamlight Sidewinders (full sized version) on a trade to diversify the herd. At the time I didn't have any lights that fed on AA batteries. Long story long I ended up keeping one on my headboard because the shape prevents it from rolling and the selectable, low power, red and blue lights don't make my eyes bleed when I need to get up in the middle of the night. I also like that I can crank it up a bit, bounce white light off the ceiling and illuminate the entire bedroom as needed. Plus the poseable head makes just about any angle possible. At first I took them to be underpowered, eventually realizing they're just right.
Yes, I've found that when I'm sleeping rough I really don't need much light at all. I'll be getting one of these for camping at some stage, I think they're impressive.

matt4350

Enlightened
I really dig the SL Wedge, although I never got one. It appears to be an excellent design / execution (best I've seen). Had one on pre-order when announced, but later cancelled when delays made me wonder if perhaps there might have been issues w/ FCS (first customer ship) lights, and decided to wait. Planned to re-order it, and I still do. It's not for really low output, but I'm old and need more light, and while I like and use Hi CRI lights, the design alone will keep me interested, and I'm OK w/ the emitters on most of my SLs for general carry and use. I'm not that 'all 'er nothin' type, and the design makes up for the minor shortcomings when I do the math. Plus, reliability is P1 for me, and I'd bet it will deliver that in spades - likely best in category. Without reliability, a light can instantly become as useful as a dead stick.
I'm impressed by what I've read on the Wedge and I love the idea of that switch. I feel the design would make it an easy carry for pocket, pouch or vest and that's what's got me interested.

matt4350

Enlightened
This isn't what you said you want, but it still might end up being something you want. I think it is worth taking a look at:

I think you're right, these look absolutely wonderful! Never heard of them but they surely look impressive. Yet another toy to add to the list…. Thank you for the info.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want the rectangular light to search cells, hallways and common areas.
Red light is a great feature for night use so it doesn't wake people like white light does. UV is a useful feature if contraband is being introduced on documents, 'K2.' Sometimes instead of being dipped it is sprayed on and could probably be detected by the proper application of light. Strobe is a nice feature for warning people at a distance.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the Sidewinder Rescue by Streamlight.
I likes that all around on paper! At a glance, I see no negatives so far. I'd noticed it in passing, but never stopped to check it out. Very nice. Without elaborating on that, I may be a candidate for one of these myself now, as I hang out in some areas where some do tend to requiring rescue with some regularity from what I hear, and I've come close enough myself to understand how that can happen.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I likes that all around on paper! At a glance, I see no negatives so far. I'd noticed it in passing, but never stopped to check it out. Very nice. Without elaborating on that, I may be a candidate for one of these myself now, as I hang out in some areas where some do tend to requiring rescue with some regularity from what I hear, and I've come close enough myself to understand how that can happen.
It's very similar in duty as those old Fultons from days gone by with modern day Streamlight engineering. Starts on low too. About the size of a pack of cigarettes.

IMG_9777.jpeg

- Metal plate to slide it into a helmet mount, Molle clip on the other side
- Head rotates front to rear about 190 degrees, ie slightly more than 180
- Brail positive indicators but if you goof up and put in the batteries wrong, it has polarity protection.

IMG_9778.jpeg

- Colors and UV option,
- Flood filters slides
- Side mount on/off switch uses Streamlight Stinger/Strion hold to adjust output from low to medium to high and back down.

IMG_9779.jpeg

Cool white output.

Last edited:

matt4350

Enlightened
Red light is a great feature for night use so it doesn't wake people like white light does. UV is a useful feature if contraband is being introduced on documents, 'K2.' Sometimes instead of being dipped it is sprayed on and could probably be detected by the proper application of light. Strobe is a nice feature for warning people at a distance.
Hay thanks, definitely food for thought there.

bykfixer

Flashaholic

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Decision made, I shall purchase the Streamlight Wedge (in fact a modded one on the forum). I thank all who have provided me with advice and info, you have now encouraged me to buy several more lights in the hopefully-not-too-distant future. Cheers!
I think you made a good choice. If it doesn't work out for you, you can always send it to me! I still want one.

Note: I cast absolutely no aspersions against the modder, but I hope the mod(s) didn't compromise the reliability that I'm fairly certain Streamlight built into it.

I think you made a good choice. If it doesn't work out for you, you can always send it to me! I still want one.

Note: I cast absolutely no aspersions against the modder, but I hope the mod(s) didn't compromise the reliability that I'm fairly certain Streamlight built into it.
I'm the modder and no offense taken at all. The light is very well built from inside out. The mod does not affect the water resistance seals and the MCPCB is completely isolated and easy to separate without any overheating of the other components. Only the aluminum pill and (of course) MCPCB gets hot during the process. I do reapply higher quality thermal paste during reassembly and ensure better coverage of the pill than what the factory applied.

matt4350

Enlightened

I'll let you know if it doesn't work out…. Can't see that happening tho! 😊