For the first time, Eneloops let me down

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Energizer Lithium AAA: Make sense in remote control?

My understanding is that even -- or especially - at low drain, they will work far longer.
Any one got data how long you can expect a Lithium AAA to last? I am thinking at least a year?

lowatts

Newly Enlightened
To get more run time. Might be more cost-effective too? You don't think?
Don't forget, these are AAA, not AA cells, with much lower capacity. I fail to understand why they love using AAA cells in remotes.
I think it's a case of form over function, AAA make for sleeker remote bodies. I try to avoid AAA powered devices whenever possible.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Energizer Lithium AAA: Make sense in remote control?

On the last page of the L92 data sheet it shows testing with a remote.

15 seconds/minute 8 hrs/day gives about 20 service hours.

On the last page of the E92 data sheet the exact same test shows almost 24 hours service life.

Based on Energizers tests, alkalines last longer in remotes than lithiums.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take a hint from my post (#4) and lctorana's two posts, and it should all make sense.
:huh2: Actually it makes about as much sense as slapping a grizzly with a jandal to invite him over for a pavlova lunch.

I figured with duct tape and a pocketknife you could mount a 3 x AA battery pack on the bottom of the remote, thereby making Eneloops feasible - a grand scheme, quite in harmony with the ideals of Canadian-filmed MacGyver. :thinking: I have no idea, seriously. :shrug:

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
For remote controls and other low-drain devices that want 1.5 volts...

I said the rechargeable answer was Canadian

Then I said it was Grand

Do I have to RAM it down your throat?

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Baaa? :thinking:

Grand Cherokee? Dodge Ram? I didn't think either of those was Canadian. :mecry:

If you're talking rechargeable alkalines (and I don't get the Grand Canadian link at all), I don't think I'd recommend them for anything. They don't last many cycles, lose capacity on each cycle, and I can imagine would be more bother and hassle than they and their custom charger are worth anyway. YMMV (and I have a charger which has an alkaline setting).

Give me a few more clues. This is fun. :party: :shakehead

PS. Grand Battery Technologies is South African, so that can't be it. :shrug:

Edit: OK, got it. 3M Duct Tape is available in Canada at Grand & Toy. :grouphug: Now you'll be able to use those AA Eneloops!

Last edited:

bgiddins

Newly Enlightened
Will you stop it with the North American in-jokes and bloody just explain it?

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Come on, Black Rose, that's hardly telling me anything new. Just tell me if I was right with the duct tape link. Or are you trying to remotely point me in a new direction with your deliberate misspelling of intriguing?

BTW, does your Harmony remote have a screen in it? Or USB? A bit grand, don't you think, even if it doesn't quite cost a grand? (Yeah, I'm getting bored now.)

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use 4 Eneloop AAA cells in my Harmony 659 remote. The batteries have been in it now for at least 6 weeks. No problems yet.

The Harmony eats about 4 AAA cells every two months, so it makes sense to use rechargables in it. I've also used ROV Hybrid AAA cells in it with no problems.

I have a Harmony and Eneloops work great in it. Also in most of the other remotes in the house.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Come on, Black Rose, that's hardly telling me anything new. Just tell me if I was right with the duct tape link. Or are you trying to remotely point me in a new direction with your deliberate misspelling of intriguing?
Duct tape: Nope. Misspelling was not intentional.

BTW, does your Harmony remote have a screen in it? Or USB? A bit grand, don't you think, even if it doesn't quite cost a grand? (Yeah, I'm getting bored now.)
Yes, my Harmony remote has a screen on it and is programmed with software via a USB connection. It is grand (I have a lot of components attached to my HDTV) and no, it didn't cost a grand...that would have cut into my battery and flashlight budget :D

Info regarding the hints

Start

A grand = 1000

The hint from post #4 = Harmony.

Harmony 1000 remote by Logitech.

Logitech bought out the Canadian company that originally created the Harmony remotes, Intrigue Technologies, in 2004.

The Harmony 1000 remote has a rechargable Lithium-Ion battery.

End

There is text between Start and End.

Since the spoiler tag does not appear to be installed with this version of vBulletin, I used a white font colour to hide the answer for anyone that might be trying to figure it out.
Highlight the area between Start and End to see the explanations of the hints.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, it's nice to know that I recognised all the clues as being such, even if I'm still in the dark (after reading the spoiler) as to their significance or interpretation. Because there's no way a $500 remote is a solution to anything except perhaps as a solution to a case of someone having too many dollars and not enough sense.
No. You aren't going to have any use for any of their improvements. Just use alkalines - they'll be much cheaper and work about as good.
Well said. I have a feeling LCtorana was on a different tack, which I've already covered. Which is quite amusing - same set of clues and three answers.

cdosrun

Enlightened
How droll, here I was thinking that RAM= Rechargeable Alkaline Manganese cells which sit at 1.5ish volts. I haven't seen any for a while though, are they still around?

Andrew

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes they are, but TorchBoy said they are rubbish, so my excellent results must be illusory.

I'll check with him next time. Carry on.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, so I blew it with the harmony remote :candle:

I know what product he's referring to now (no idea about the grand hint though).
My father in law had them at one point and said they were crap, but then again he complains about everything.

Last edited:

Bones

Enlightened
So, for those low-drain devices that require slightly more voltage than NiMH cells can deliver, is it possible to build or buy a booster that can nestle into a 2 AAA cell compartment for example?

Seems like it would be a worthwhile investment, especially considering alkalines tendancy to bleed all over and lithiums tend to deliver less real performance for way more money in these devices.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes they are, but TorchBoy said they are rubbish, so my excellent results must be illusory.

I'll check with him next time. Carry on.
:laughing: So YMdoesV. How many cycles do they last for you, how often do you recharge, what run(?)time do you get, do you use them anywhere else, etc? I see that none of the main electronics shops here sells them any more. Where do you get them from across the ditch?

Edit: Even http://www.grandcell.co.nz/ doesn't list any retail outlets for their products.

Last edited: