Foursevens Bolt Action light - early opinions?

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
that is CRAZY! Why do they cost so much?? You can get them from Battery Junction here in USA for $1! I still do not like them. ALL my torches take rechargeable L. Ion. 18650 being my favorite!

I'm not sure. In Canada, we're often ripped off compared to the U.S., but usually the mark-up is 25% - 50%. But when it comes to lithium batteries, for some reason they're ridiculously expensive here. Ordering them from the U.S. is difficult too, because many won't ship lithium batteries due to safety concerns.

An 18650 cell is a bit more reasonable here, but still costs over $20. That's why I stick with lights that use AA or AAA cells. Eneloops are cheap by comparison, and last forever.

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can find them online (1 pair) for CAN $3 free shipping.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered one since I have CR2s just sitting around not filing any lights. Unique lights might not make the grade and get dropped due to cell choice on the makers part

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the mechanism is interesting, but I also do not see the logic of using CR2 batteries. If it was designed to use 2 AA's, and cost a bit less (~ $40.00), I would be interested in it. I will pass.

The Coach

Enlightened
I have one of Brian's Ti pen and pencil and I was hoping he would make a Ti version of the light. I like the bolt-action on the pen. It's soothing to play with. I will probably buy the light and hope he decides to make a run of the Ti lights.

GoingGear.com

Enlightened
I have one of Brian's Ti pen and pencil and I was hoping he would make a Ti version of the light. I like the bolt-action on the pen. It's soothing to play with. I will probably buy the light and hope he decides to make a run of the Ti lights.

They did make Ti versions. They had them at the USN Gathering. From what I understand, they will be making more and Brian will be selling them directly.

Also, you guys know they make rechargeable CR2s, right?

Danielsan

Enlightened
They did make Ti versions. They had them at the USN Gathering. From what I understand, they will be making more and Brian will be selling them directly.

Also, you guys know they make rechargeable CR2s, right?

Yes but rechargeable CR2s are pretty much useless because of the low capacity and as far as i know there are no protected ones available, i would never buy unprotected stuff. This light has no voltage indicator so its even worse to use unprotected.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me, it is good to see a company try a novel approach to things. When Glock pistols first came out many firearm gurus were strongly against the "plastic pistol". History proved them wrong. I am not saying this will be like that but that new ideas do generally receive some heavy criticism when using an approach different than the standard "in the box" designs. I will reserve judgment on the bolt switch mechanism for when I can see it personally or through more detailed and thorough reviews. For penlight users this may be a very great new design, I guess time will tell whether it is or not.

As far as CR2 batteries, I do not own any lights that use these and likely never will. In fact, I do not care for lights designed for primary batteries and only use lights that can use li-ion. The exception for me are lights designed to use alkaline cells. I just don't have a desire for lights that must use lithium primary batteries.

Erik1213

Enlightened
Looking at cell measurements for CR2s, would it be possible that a single 14500 would be a direct replacement for the 2xCR2?

Last edited:

BillSWPA

Enlightened
I am having a hard time understanding the hate for CR2. My wife and I both have CR2 lights on our keychains, and they are wonderful. I end up replacing the cells about 2-3 times/year. FourSevens offers relatively inexpensive CR2 cells, and if these are too expensive, Battery Junction sells the Titanium Innovations brand for about $1/cell - less than I paid for alkaline D cells the last time I had to buy them. Unlike alkaline (which I see referred to as alkaleaks about as often as alkaline on this forum), lithium cells rarely leak.

I started using Li-Ion as a result of this forum. Lately I am reading some disturbing things about the lifespan of Li-Ion in the electronics subforum here. If some estimates of the usable life of Li-Ion are correct (and they may or may not be), they will actually cost me more $ than if I had just stuck with CR123.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am having a hard time understanding the hate for CR2. My wife and I both have CR2 lights on our keychains, and they are wonderful. I end up replacing the cells about 2-3 times/year. FourSevens offers relatively inexpensive CR2 cells, and if these are too expensive, Battery Junction sells the Titanium Innovations brand for about $1/cell - less than I paid for alkaline D cells the last time I had to buy them. Unlike alkaline (which I see referred to as alkaleaks about as often as alkaline on this forum), lithium cells rarely leak.

I started using Li-Ion as a result of this forum. Lately I am reading some disturbing things about the lifespan of Li-Ion in the electronics subforum here. If some estimates of the usable life of Li-Ion are correct (and they may or may not be), they will actually cost me more $ than if I had just stuck with CR123.

CR2s are hard to get at a reasonable price in some other countries so I can understand that line of reason.Until I tried a light that used them I wasn't very enthused about CR2s either but now I am with you.They are just as cheap online as CR123s and I don't have to replace them all that often in my EDC lights either.This light in particular might run through some cells if you were to use it on high constantly but considering the design I think CR123s or AAs would have made the light too large.Although popular on this forum Li-ion isn't for everyone and I also have some reservations about the overall lifespan of Li-ion batteries, so I don't see them as a better alternative for this light.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good on 4Sevens for attempting different human interfaces.
The choice of cr2 is fine, and someone will make a carrier so that you can use 14500-but you likely won't get the 490 lumen burst operation, just the step down.
Should one expect the Cree xp-l? Fenix uses that in the pd22UE.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I have a pen that uses a bolt action in the same position as this new design. It works well, and is very handy. I have no concerns re CR2's, my Aeon's use them, and they have a good runtime. I think that the UI of David's creation will need to be reviewed. I see no reason for his bolt action to not go forward. Our awesome reviewers will give us what we need to know.

Bill

Last edited:

magellan

Honorary Aussie
I like CR2 and RCR2 lights a lot and have quite a few of them. For me they are a good compromise on power vs. compactness.

I have a pen that uses a bolt action in the same position as this new design. It works well, and is very handy. I have no concerns re CR2's, my Aeon's use them, and they have a good runtime. I think that the UI of David's creation will need to be reviewed. I see no reason for his bolt action to not go forward. Our awesome reviewers will give us what we need to know.

Bill

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
2xCR2 is very close to 14500. I wonder if a 14500 li-ion would work? That would make this light more interesting for me.

The choice of cr2 is fine, and someone will make a carrier so that you can use 14500-but you likely won't get the 490 lumen burst operation, just the step down.

LEDburn

Enlightened
I think it is for "gadgety" people.
In flashlights, some folks are fans of something new to fiddle with, such as the recent fad of electronic side switches with umpteen selections, so people can say "WOW!" when they are shown all the "clicks" you can do. So this is a different kind of toy. Some will want it because it's a new and different twist on the basic penlight theme.
Nothing wrong with that, if you like it.

I think that "fad" you're referring to is like a thorn in your side because every chance you get, you have a dig at it. It's a shame that you lack the ability to grasp the concept of amazing ergonomics.

It really is a small niggle (and one very few people have) that a light can be slightly bigger than the cell it houses, has a comfortable grip, produces amazing amounts of light and can run for ages at a lower level if required. Actually, what IS wrong with all that other than the fact you're too cool and mature to admit it?