Franken MagDEFT SSR-50 Search Light Finally Completed

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure, I'll make a post when I get it done.
I did see Techjunkie's post & was curious to test the Rebel reflector.

Because it's deep, I will need to recess the heat sink. It's not a problem,
just need to grind down the Rim of the heat sink & have it go deep inside
the tube. I don;t have a 10A driver solution, might need to wait as
there some 10A CC drivers suppose to come out soon. I'd like to Run it
with 2 Li-ion.

ckeilah

Newly Enlightened
Wow! That's really cool! This reminds me of the mountain bike light I made from some PVC pipe, hose clamps, a 12V 6Ah battery, and a 50W halogen MR15 spotlight. It was too bright to run on the street! Cars would hit their highbeams and wail on their horns, but it was great in the dark forest trails. I guess LEDs have usurped halogens nowadays. Some day I'll reinvent that wheel like you have here. :-D

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finally, I got a DX Lux meter, I was able to do a Thrower 1 meter Lux Shoot out.
Actual Lux Measurement done at 5 meter; 1 Meter Lux calculated conversion from Meter lux.

Light in the Shoot out are left to Right:

1.5D Mag 1185 3x17670:.........................................5 Meter Lux: 950;.................... 1 Meter Lux 23750
5xCree WF500 2x18500: .........................................5 Meter Lux: 1130;...................1 Meter Lux 28250
Ledean Mag 1C SS 52mm Aspheric lens, Cree P4 DD,.... 5 Meter Lux: 2100;.................. 1 Meter Lux 52500
Mag 1C Clone DX 50mm Aspheric Cree R2 1.5A, ...........5 Meter Lux: 2500;.................. 1 Meter Lux 62500
MagDEFT 3" Aspheric lens SSR-50 Top Bin 5 AMP, ....... 5 Meter Lux: 3995;...................1 Meter Lux 99875

The DX meter is known to read very low but consistent. If I use the conversion factor from Saabluster described here:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/3348264&postcount=12

The corrected 1 meter Lux would be roughly = DX Lux @ 1 meter x1.4, the Frenken MagDeft comes out to be 139,825.
Compares to DEFT FTP ~132,000; SR90 SST-90 search light 112,000; ArcMania Ostar X6 56,000.

This lux results comes out higher than I expected. I expected it to be >100,000,
but did not expect it to be in line with DEFT FTP. needless to say, I am very happy with the results.

The light has similar throw to DEFT FTP, but with 1250 LED Lumens & 5 times the spot size of DEFT,
more useful as a search light.
IT has a spot size similar to ARCMania X6, but more than 2 times the beam brightness.
It out throws SR90 just a bit.

img0721i.jpg

Last edited:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's before the correction factor. The Saabluster correction factor quoted above was 1.4. I also found other threads talking about correction factor ~1.15 to 1.2 range.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/171681

Overall, everyone agrees that DX meter consistently read low, with all the info. I read, I'd conclude that the the lux @ 1 Meter for the MagDEFT SSR-50 is in the range between 115,000 to 139,000.

The 5AMP @ LED was measured with 2xDX Li-ion.
The LUX was measured now with the light running 2xIMR 26650.
So the LED is seeiing slightly higher than 5AMP, possibly 5.5A range, thus
the led lumen is greater than the 5A spec of 1250, probably >1300 emitter Lumens cobservatively.

Overall, conservatively speaking, I would say this light, while running on 2xIMR 26650, has achieved the following:

• Greater than 1300 emitter lumens
  • Greater than 115,000 Lux at 1 meter
  • Greater than 2x the throw of the stunning ARC Mania X6
  • Out Performs the SR90 (SST-90 on 4" SMO) search light slightly in throw.
  • Similar throw as DEFT FTP but with 5x the hot spot area, thus more useful as a search light.
Overall, I am glad that the results have exceeded my design goal of the project (>100,000 lux @ 1 meter with a beam spot large enough to be useful as a search light).

Last edited:

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
What happened to the original Homemade and Modified Lights section???

Since it's called 'Discussion', important thread's like this sink out of view in notime.. Me not like that.. (sorry)

So, it's time to give this beauty a bump!

Congrats on this very nice build ma_sha!! Very informative thread about with the discussions about the posibillities of getting the SST50 (and 90..) to match the XR-E throw monsters.
I'm starting testing myself soon with SST50 and SST90 setups for my new LedBlaster light,
so this is very informative.

All the best,

Ra.

Last edited:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Ra.

It's an honor to be complements by you!

This light started my Mag/Other light Hybrid type of build. I sold this light
but it's been replaced my a similar but slight more output MagDrgaon:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/280670

I am also about to post a new Build, MagDragon Jr. , It has surpassed DEFT FTP with a slightly smaller lens.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love this MagDeft you got going on.:party:

You are almost going to hit 200k lux at 1m on a handheld flashlight too. Keep going, dont give up:poke:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are almost going to hit 200k lux at 1m on a handheld flashlight too. Keep going, dont give up:poke:

Thanks BigC,

I am cooking on the sequal of the Franken Mag Series. The next episode will be called "MagDaddy" :p. I am pretty confident that it'll blow away the 200K lux@1 meter mark, just wish the parts I ordered are here already, my hands are getting itchy & I am sweating because of the excitement & anticipation... :naughty:

Last edited:

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast

Uhhh.. '200k lux at 1m on a handheld flashlight'..? I did that already some time ago, with my mini-HID.. 250k lux at 1m from a 2D mag sized torch.. See link at bottom of my post.

It has taken a few years, but led's now definitely have surpassed even the most powerfull (on surface brightness) halogens. Even the average HID's only have their lumens output as the only advantage left.

If this doesn't stop, the short arc's are next.. But that still is a very long way to go..
Jumping from halogen to HID means roughly 3-5 times the surface brightness, from HID to short arc more like 20 times.. (make that 35 for Maxablasters Hg short arc..)

I must admit, a few years ago, I was very sceptic about led's ever reaching the top halogens on surface brightness.. Now look what happens!! In this case I don't mind to be wrong, led's already were very practical in use, but with the high surface brightness they reach today, they are even more complete!

Regards,

Ra.

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
Re: Franken MagDEFT SSR-50 thrower

I still want to see some kind of active cooling setup in this thing. :D

Did you end up using thermal epoxy to join the head and the battery tube? Have you considered soldering the emitter directly to the heatsink as saabluster suggested? Even if you use thermal epoxy to mount the LED to the heatsink, just getting the star out of the way should keep the emitter considerably cooler.

Last edited:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Franken MagDEFT SSR-50 thrower

I still want to see some kind of active cooling setup in this thing. :D

Did you end up using thermal epoxy to join the head and the battery tube? Have you considered soldering the emitter directly to the heatsink as saabluster suggested? Even if you use thermal epoxy to mount the LED to the heatsink, just getting the star out of the way should keep the emitter considerably cooler.

No active cooling, I've certainly thought about it many times. Perhaps when I get to Triple SST-90 in a mag at some point? The head & Tube for MagDEFT was jointed by JB Weld.

When I did the MagDragon after the MagDEF: (https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/280670),
I used bare SST-90 bare led Thermo Glued to Brightlumen's heat sink instead of using stars. I do believe w/o star is better,
but I don't think it made any difference at the 5-6Amp driving current level.

MagDEFT:. . SSR-50 Star on Modified H22a P7 heat sink, 5Amp, 75mm lens ~115 K lux
MagDragon:SST-50 bare led on Brightlumen's heat sink, 6 Amp, 75mm lens ~125 K lux

I would contribute the increase of lux to the extra Amp, not bare led over star.

However, in my "Shock the led to decrease Vf" test with SST-90 bare led/brightlumen's heat sink combo,
I was able to drive SST-90 to over 15 Amp w/o seeing angry blue, which I didn't attempt it with a star.
I think the bare LED is a better mounting method at higher current level (I used Arctic silver).
No differences were observed at the the 5-6 Amp level. I think at this level, both methods are adequate.
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:S5C7HgDXREIJ:www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php%3Ft%3D273748+sst-90+diy+15amp&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us
img0733xs.jpg

Last edited:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
It has taken a few years, but led's now definitely have surpassed even the most powerfull (on surface brightness) halogens. Even the average HID's only have their lumens output as the only advantage left.

If this doesn't stop, the short arc's are next.. But that still is a very long way to go..
Jumping from halogen to HID means roughly 3-5 times the surface brightness, from HID to short arc more like 20 times.. (make that 35 for Maxablasters Hg short arc..)

I must admit, a few years ago, I was very sceptic about led's ever reaching the top halogens on surface brightness.. Now look what happens!! In this case I don't mind to be wrong, led's already were very practical in use, but with the high surface brightness they reach today, they are even more complete!

Regards,

Ra.
I'm glad to see you are seeing where things are heading. I have been saying it for years. LEDs will be able to beat even the very best HIDs have to offer in the throw department. It is important to remember that LEDs do not have to match an HID's surface brightness to out-throw them due to the collimation methods available to the LED which are not feasible for HIDs.

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm glad to see you are seeing where things are heading. I have been saying it for years. LEDs will be able to beat even the very best HIDs have to offer in the throw department. It is important to remember that LEDs do not have to match an HID's surface brightness to out-throw them due to the collimation methods available to the LED which are not feasible for HIDs.

You mean of cource the posibillity to use aspherical lenses (and high quality TIR's) with led's... Indeed the 'conventional' reflectors used with HID have a lower throw efficiency than an aspherical lens..
That indeed has to be taken into account..

It means that earlier, I only made led based lights because they are practical, but now, I'm going to make them because they are even more practical, because now they can throw as well..

Regards,

Ra.