• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired FS: 1000 Lumen XM-L T6 Maglite Mod With Voltage Monitor - Parts, or Complete Light!

brian408

Newly Enlightened
I just got 4 of the 32600's from Kaidomain last week...

Did they send you an e-mail notification that they have been shipped? Usually, it's about 2 weeks after you get that notification.

For something temporary, you can use a 3/4" piece of PVC pipe. Which is a perfect size sleeve for fitting 18650's. You can just wrap tape on the ends of the sleeve to fit your Mag barrel.

The only thing you will need to do, is adjust the spring at the tail cap. Because the 18650 contact pad is smaller in diameter than the spring. The spring may also be a little long, but that's easy to mess with...

I got a shipping notification from Kaidomain the day after my order, then another ship date of Feb 13, and now a third ship date of March 10. I did a search for Kaidomain and the reviews are not at all good. I wish there was another source for these 3.7v 32600's.

brian408

Newly Enlightened
Brian408, If you are in a pinch for batteries I would recommend the 4Sevens 26650 http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=53_57&products_id=2585
They are 3900 mah which is a little smaller than you wanted, but they are only $15 a piece, they will be to your door in 3 days with free shipping and best of all they are protected!

Jamey

Jamey,

I will have to consider that if I don't get my 32600's. I will unfortunately have to ship my tailcap/spring back to Jayrob to have the mod done and also I will need the fiberglass sleeve.

jayrob

Enlightened
Jamey,

I will have to consider that if I don't get my 32600's. I will unfortunately have to ship my tailcap/spring back to Jayrob to have the mod done and also I will need the fiberglass sleeve.

These large format Li-Ion's are becoming more and more popular. So I'm sure they will become easier to get...

DTR (a friend in the U.S.), is possibly going to stock 32650's. (hopefully this will happen soon) This would be great. Because they would not only be readily available, but they would be cheaper than getting them from Flydragon. Because the shipping from Flydragon is expensive. He's trying to work out a bulk order to save on shipping. Then the savings get passed on to us!

So I'll be posting here, and also updating the first post, if and when those become available in the U.S.

About Kaidomain. They have been pretty good for me. I place a lot of orders with them. It's just having to wait is all. I think what happened to you, is the timing. The Chinese New Year is like a 2 week long celebration. (or maybe longer) And everthing closes down.

Anyway, if you decide to send the tail cap, at least we're both in CA...

And the tail cap mod will still work with the 32600's, just remove the sleeve. :)

rajalexi

Newly Enlightened
Here is a bad picture to show what this XM-L mod is capable of. The beam is shining on a house about 800 feet from me according to Google Earth.

The 1st picture is the day shot to see what you are looking at:
cpfxml750day.jpg

The 2nd picture is the same area but at night being lit up by my XM-L modded Mag:
cpfxml750nightwide.jpg

Sorry the 2nd picture is blurry, it was cold out that night!!

Jamey

357mag1

Enlightened
Jay,

I received my dropin and it works great with the Fivemega ThrowMaster head. Almost like they were designed to work together. The head pushes the beam forward giving me bright spill like the Catapult and even better throw. Thanks for making the minor modifications so these two work together.

Scott.

trooplewis

Newly Enlightened
Jayrob, I'd be interested in the complete light that can use the 3 "D" cells.
Didn't see a price mentioned for that when you brought it up in your discussion about the stubby.

Any idea what the est lumens and runtimes would be on a 3 "D" cell setup?
Pricing?

Thanks

jayrob

Enlightened
Jay,

I received my dropin and it works great with the Fivemega ThrowMaster head. Almost like they were designed to work together. The head pushes the beam forward giving me bright spill like the Catapult and even better throw. Thanks for making the minor modifications so these two work together.

Scott.

357mag1, thanks for posting back...

Glad you got it working for your custom mod! :)

Jayrob, I'd be interested in the complete light that can use the 3 "D" cells.
Didn't see a price mentioned for that when you brought it up in your discussion about the stubby.

Any idea what the est lumens and runtimes would be on a 3 "D" cell setup?
Pricing?

Thanks

Hi, yes I have built them using 3 X NiMH's with the 5 mode driver, as well as 5 X NiMH's, with the 3 mode driver shown for the 2D build. And I have taken measurements and readings from them. I have the information...

Are you talking about 3 X NiMH's with the 5 mode 'Stubby' driver?

If so, the price will be cheaper than the Stubby pricing. Because I won't have as much work in the host modification...

The complete XM-L T6 Maglite 3 X NiMH / 5 mode build will include: (batteries not included)

* 3D Maglite host (your choice of color)
* Switch prep
* Reflector mod
* Heatsink/driver/XM-L T6 emitter installed and tested
* Assembled and ready for your batteries
$126

* Shipping will be based on PayPal fees plus postage.

Send me a PM for total with shipping! :)

nc_hooper

Newly Enlightened
I'm very interested in purchasing one of these. I currently have a 2D mag running 2x32650 KD batteries with a 4-6 cell Malkoff XPG dropin, but want something more powerful and with multiple output levels.

I already have several higher output floody lights (Malkoff Wildcat V2, Malkoff MC-E warm, Surefire M6 / FM 3x17650 with LF Seraph P7 single mode and Seraph SST-90 3 level heads). But now I'm looking for something quite bright that can throw because I do a fair amount of boating. My old boat lite is a X990 35W HID - it gets the job done but is quite heavy and large. I know I probably won't match that but would like to get close.

Don't want to go the Olight SR90 route because of weight, size, proprietary battery pack and only two output levels. Also from what I've read on CPF throw is mainly a function of reflector size and surface brightness. Was considering modding a Mag for 2x32650 or 3x32650 and a SST-90 but that would put out a lot of heat, probably limiting the run time. Given the smaller surface area of the XM-L, it seems like it will out throw a SST-90 and perhaps get close to a SST-90 (but with a smaller spot size).

Regarding throw, I was using a KD reflector in my current setup but it seemed to be no different than the stock mag reflector. I recently bought several reflectors/heads from FM (bi-focal M*g reflector, Ver2 deep M*g reflector, 2.5" throw master, and a 3" FM3H-3). Would like to try these with your build once I receive it. I have only been able to test the throw master with the Malkoff, because I'll need to enlarge the holes on the other products. But I want to get your build first, so I can determine the hole size.

The Malkoff XPG (260 lumens) with the throw master works really well. It easily out throws my Olight M31 SST-50 (800 lumens), with the spot size being considerably smaller. Also no problems with limited run times due to heat. Really interested in seeing how the XM-L will work with the throw master and FM3H-3 (and the other reflectors as well). Given the larger surface area of the XM-L, I'm expecting the spot size to be larger, but I think with the extra lumens the surface brightness should be the same or slightly brighter.

Jayrob - you mentioned in a previous post that you did a slight modification for a customer that has a throw master. What is that mod?

Thanks

jayrob

Enlightened
He had me size the post to about 12mm so that it can fit through his ThrowMaster reflector for focus adjustment...

I have the XM-L T6 emitters on a 14mm round board. (bin 1D) So it's a matter of gluing the emitter to the smaller sized post on the heatsink (with Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive), and then using a small belt sander to take the edges of the emitter down in size. To meet the size of the 12mm post.

I do this slowly, and with the emitter heatsinked. So that there is not a danger of too much heat to the emitter during the size modification.

This same mod has to be done to fit a Rebel reflector... (I charge $15 bucks for the extra work)

Not sure if you want a complete build, or just a heatsink/emitter/driver module. But send me a PM and I'll get you a total with shipping! :)

P.S. Are your Li-Ion's the 3.6 / 4.2 voltage ones?

maddog

Enlightened
Hey All,

does anyone who bought this light have access to a ROP on High? if so how does it compare to the XM-L T6 Light? as far as total light out put.

thanks,
brandt

nc_hooper

Newly Enlightened
Jayrob,

Thanks for the information regarding the modification from a 14 to 12 mm. Sounds like a worthwhile modification in my situation (don't have to enlarge the holes on the various reflectors as much, and no modification will be needed for the ThrowMaster). Also the diameter will be the same as my current Malkoff drop in.

In your opinion, does reducing the diameter of the post have any significant impact on managing heat?

I'll PM you with my specific request for a total with shipping.

Thanks - looks like a great build.

dayglo

Newly Enlightened
What can I say...this is a great light! The amount of light that it produces in conjunction with size as well as having a battery monitor is like nothing else out there. I wanted some serious capacity without having to lug around a large light. JayRob does an excellent job of creating these lights and they are worth every penny.

Thanks

jayrob

Enlightened
Very glad to know that you like the build! :)

I love great feedback...

Thanks for posting back! :thanks:

Jayrob,

Thanks for the information regarding the modification from a 14 to 12 mm. Sounds like a worthwhile modification in my situation (don't have to enlarge the holes on the various reflectors as much, and no modification will be needed for the ThrowMaster). Also the diameter will be the same as my current Malkoff drop in.

In your opinion, does reducing the diameter of the post have any significant impact on managing heat?

I'll PM you with my specific request for a total with shipping.

Thanks - looks like a great build.

I would say that the heat management will be fine. Because it is still a one piece assembly when it is properly glued to the heatsink using Arctic Silver thermal adhesive. It may be a little better with the 14mm size, but it should still be fine... (IMO)

I think you will like it! :D

clowy699

Newly Enlightened
Got mine two days ago! Unfortunately my batteries are on backorder:( What I can tell you so far is that the build quality is excellent, its driving me nuts not being able to power it up. Jayrob even included all the old/spare parts from original mag along with original packaging, user manual, and even the user manual for the voltage monitor! I might have to try to rig up something to run on my 18650's if my batteries take much longer.....will definately re-post once i get it powered up and compare it head to head with my Olight M31.

Thanks Jayrob!

tjhabak

Enlightened
Clowy, just curious. What type of batteries do you have on order and from where? I have one of these coming also, and finding good batteries and a charger is turning out to be a little tough.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk