• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired FS: 4000 Lumen XHP70 Mag Mod with Voltage Monitor Option...

jayrob

Enlightened
jayrob - I'm interested in one of your 4000Lumin XHP70 Mag Mod with Voltage Monitor lights. Not sure about some options so I'll ask you about them here in GREEN. I'll list my choices in REDwhen I am sure which options I want.

Build Details:

BLACK
* 2D Mag (let me know your color choice)
YES * XHP70 6V N4 5000K emitter set on custom heatsink as shown
* Copper or Aluminum heatsink option. What is the functional performance difference between Aluminum or Copper heatsink?
YES * 5 Amp, 3 mode driver - L,M,H w/memory (see current readings below)
MOP * Aluminum reflector (specify smooth or MOP)
* Borofloat high temp glass lens (or UCL glass lens) Functional difference?
yes * Fine focus adjustment
yes * Voltage monitor option
* 2 - 32650 Li-Ion Batteries What is the functional/performance difference between protected and non protected batteries?

I have a custom programmable LI-Ion Charger. Anything I missed?

These emitters are 6 Volt emitters. At 5 Amps, that's 30 Watts of heat. So on medium or low you can leave it on. But on high you must watch your run time. The copper sink will be better on high but still you will want to watch your run time on high mode. Like maybe 5 or 10 minutes. (although I'm sure it can be longer but I like to be conservative)

Borofloat is for high temp but honestly the UCL is fine and has slightly better transmission.

Non-protected cells are better in my opinion but if you are not getting the voltage monitor option, then protected may be better. It depends on how 'battery conscience' you are. If you are one who is always watching your battery voltage then you don't need the voltage monitor or the protected cells.

I am very battery conscience, but I still like the voltage monitor, but I like the non-protected cells...

About your charger. As long as it will fit the 32650 size...

Send me a PM for ordering!
beer.gif

Last edited:

shuter

Enlightened
Jayrob - My charger has expandable battery slots. They will fit.

Not sure which reflector to choose. I'm not a fan of black spots or donuts in my beams but also not a big fan of MOP reflectors as they usually expand the beam and reduce throw. What is the practical difference in beam quality, throw & spill between the two reflectors? You show a picture of the black spot in the center on low power. Is it still present on higher power? I understand the beam is focus-able. Are you unable to get the black spot out with focus? Is the black spot gone when using the MAP reflector? Appreciate it if you could help me choose the right reflector. All other options/choices have been made.

Last edited:

jayrob

Enlightened
Jayrob - My charger has expandable battery slots. They will fit.

Not sure which reflector to choose. I'm not a fan of black spots or donuts in my beams but also not a big fan of MOP reflectors as they usually expand the beam and reduce throw. What is the practical difference in beam quality, throw & spill between the two reflectors? You show a picture of the black spot in the center on low power. Is it still present on higher power? I understand the beam is focus-able. Are you unable to get the black spot out with focus? Is the black spot gone when using the MAP reflector? Appreciate it if you could help me choose the right reflector. All other options/choices have been made.

Hmmm...

Well I sold my personal build so I don't have it to test the reflector but what I can do is test your build and you can decide about the reflector choice before I ship...

I would say that with this emitter (floody), you may like the MOP reflector better because it will hide much of the stuff you mentioned. Although I just can't answer if the black center spot or donuts will be completely gone without testing first.

I never really test compared the two reflectors for this emitter...

I will say that the small black center spot shown in the close up pic (first post) is not visible at farther distance. Like the next pic showing the spot on the wall at 30' distance...

XHP70-6.jpg

Maybe one of my customers is reading that has an MOP reflector option can chime in?

Last edited:

shuter

Enlightened
jayrob - Funds have been sent via PayPal. Looking forward to getting your light.

nfetterly - I have not been very active here for a few years. It's good to see a familiar face :)

jayrob

Enlightened
I just have the XML (batteries still on first charge, sits on bedroom bureau. MT-G2 is also wonderful, I have custom cerakote on it - I cannot comment on reflectors though (& don't have the XHP70). JayRob does great stuff!

Great to hear your still loving those builds!

Thanks for the feedback...
beer.gif

jayrob - Funds have been sent via PayPal. Looking forward to getting your light.

nfetterly - I have not been very active here for a few years. It's good to see a familiar face :)

Got your PayPal, thanks!

Talk to you soon... :)

shuter

Enlightened
jayrob - I never did ask what the lead time is on these. Sooooo, what's the lead time on these? [FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]
s0223.gif
[/FONT]

Last edited:

jayrob

Enlightened
jayrob - I never did ask what the lead time is on these. Sooooo, what's the lead time on these?
s0223.gif

These days I'm still working full time so I make the lights on evenings and weekends and I'm always a couple weeks out and stack orders in the order of 'date paid' to be fair to those waiting...

I've got yours just about ready. Will finish this weekend and ship Saturday or Monday. You will get a tracking number via PayPal shipping.

Thanks for your patience! I'm confident you will love it!
beer.gif

shuter

Enlightened
jayrob, I can see that you are very busy, I'm not in a hurry really, just wondering. Whenever you get to it is good for me. Thanks for the timely response. [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]
chopper.sml.gif
[/FONT]

shuter

Enlightened
jayrob - Thanks, got tracking info. Looking forward to getting your light and will post about it after using and comparing against other lights.

shuter

Enlightened
Jayrob - I've been using the light and thought I'd post some thoughts about it. I've used it quite a bit and am loving it. It appears quite unassuming, looking like just another black Mag-Lite but it surely is not. The volume of light it puts out is impressive and the beam quality is very good/excellent. While it is not designed as a "thrower" it puts out so much light it actually throws a long ways. The function of the forward clicky is great. It has three levels of light that are easily selectable and all useful. Run time is impressive even on high but on low it's amazing. I ordered mine with a warm white emitter and what he installed is just what I like. The battery condition indicator is a great addition and IMO sorely needed on more of our custom lights. The workmanship appears to be of the highest quality and I expect this light to be durable and trouble free for a long time. It's so flexible and has such long run time that It's going in my Suburban that is used for hunting and fishing. Thanks for a great light Jayrob.

jayrob

Enlightened
Jayrob - I've been using the light and thought I'd post some thoughts about it. I've used it quite a bit and am loving it. It appears quite unassuming, looking like just another black Mag-Lite but it surely is not. The volume of light it puts out is impressive and the beam quality is very good/excellent. While it is not designed as a "thrower" it puts out so much light it actually throws a long ways. The function of the forward clicky is great. It has three levels of light that are easily selectable and all useful. Run time is impressive even on high but on low it's amazing. I ordered mine with a warm white emitter and what he installed is just what I like. The battery condition indicator is a great addition and IMO sorely needed on more of our custom lights. The workmanship appears to be of the highest quality and I expect this light to be durable and trouble free for a long time. It's so flexible and has such long run time that It's going in my Suburban that is used for hunting and fishing. Thanks for a great light Jayrob.

Mag sleeper... I love to be out camping and blow people away...

Love the feedback, thanks for posting back! :)

silentcropduster

Newly Enlightened
Jayrob...talk me out of this one and into the other 1000lm one u sell, I want 4000lm, no heat and a 6 hr run time from a maglight. Is that too much to ask lol haha

jayrob

Enlightened
Jayrob...talk me out of this one and into the other 1000lm one u sell, I want 4000lm, no heat and a 6 hr run time from a maglight. Is that too much to ask lol haha

Lol don't we all!

Honestly the XHP-70 (or the MT-G2), I use mostly as 'show off' lights since they will get warm on high and should really be used sparingly on high. (low duty) - IMO...

For no worry constant on use on high mode, the XML is the work horse build that is a perfect fit for the 2 cell Li-Ion build and the voltage monitor is awesome.

That is by far the most popular mod that I have, and my personal favorite as well.

With the current emitters that I have on hand (XML-2 U4 1A on copper base), I would say more like 1200 lumens... :)

Last edited:

silentcropduster

Newly Enlightened
Lol don't we all!

Honestly the XHP-70 (or the MT-G2), I use mostly as 'show off' lights since they will get warm on high and should really be used sparingly on high. (low duty) - IMO...

For no worry constant on use on high mode, the XML is the work horse build that is a perfect fit for the 2 cell Li-Ion build and the voltage monitor is awesome.

That is by far the most popular mod that I have, and my personal favorite as well.

With the current emitters that I have on hand (XML-2 U4 1A on copper base), I would say more like 1200 lumens... :)
I just want it brighter than my BLF A6 which is a claimed 1600lm, but in reality is probably like 1000 lol

jayrob

Enlightened
I just want it brighter than my BLF A6 which is a claimed 1600lm, but in reality is probably like 1000 lol

I don't have one of those to compare but I have many similar and I'm sure there is really no comparison mostly just because of SIZE...

Generally, larger reflector = better throw. But your going to also have a ton of light out the sides. (not just the hot spot)

I have these so that you can turn the head of the Mag for fine focus, but you will find that once you get it focused for 'best spot', you'll just leave it there.

The other obvious difference due to size, is the huge difference in battery capacity/run time between charges.

So because of the above mentioned differences, there is really no comparison. But it obviously is a larger light and won't carry the same. However Mag does have a belt holster:
http://www.zbattery.com/Maglite-Plain-Leather-Belt-Holster-for-D-Size-Flashlights?sc=7&category=1311

The other option for smaller but the same output, is my Stubby mod shown at the end of the first post in my XML thread. (cut down single cell) - approx. half the run time as the 2 cell build...

shuter

Enlightened
Jayrob - there are times when an extremely tight focused beam is needed without flood or spill. Such as looking for an address on a house without lighting up the whole house or reading a street sign without blinding others. A surgically tight beam. I had a light with an aspheric lens that fit that bill but it was stolen. I'm interested in your stubby with with an aspheric lens. I have no idea how this would impact your build. Do you think you could make one? Are you willing? What do you think?