• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired FS: MT-G2 Mag Mod with Voltage Monitor Option...

jayrob

Enlightened
Hi Jayrob,
Please expline the "Fine focus adjustment".
thanks,
tigman_tim

The emitter is mounted to my custom heatsink, which is designed with a raised post to allow it to be able to move into the reflector opening... (turn the head of the Maglite for fine focus adjustment)

Send me a PM for ordering!
beer.gif

tigman_tim

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the reply jayrob.
Sorry for being "thick" but does this light fully adjust from flood to spot?
I'm have been saving for something like this :devil:

jayrob

Enlightened

The fine focus adjustment is mainly to just get it focused to 'best spot'...

Honestly, these Mag mods are so bright, that the normal side spill from the reflector is plenty for flood.

You will find that you will leave it at 'best spot' focus.

The huge MT-G2 emitter is a 'wider' output vs the XML build that I have here...

But that said, it still has very good throw. It's nice to be able to turn the head of the Mag for fine focus...
beer.gif

Last edited:

CMAG

Enlightened
MT-G2 Mag came today:) :thumbsup:
This torch rocks not just the crazy output but the quality light (imo great tint). Not sure these are hi cri but even on high at point blank range colors pop rather than washing out and is easy on the eye.
I also went for the Volt meter option not that I need it as I am rather (as most here) @n@l about my cells, but is a neat option that's clean and looks like it came from the factory.

CMAG

Enlightened

Tigman to add to Jayrob's reply with the MT G2 you can get some extra (not that you will need it) flood what is nice is the doughnut hole you get with even stock Mag's is hardly noticeable.
If your on the fence about buying one go for it Jay's work is A#1 and this led is sweeeet

jayrob

Enlightened
MT-G2 Mag came today:) :thumbsup:
This torch rocks not just the crazy output but the quality light (imo great tint). Not sure these are hi cri but even on high at point blank range colors pop rather than washing out and is easy on the eye.
I also went for the Volt meter option not that I need it as I am rather (as most here) @n@l about my cells, but is a neat option that's clean and looks like it came from the factory.

Glad you like the build! :)

Thanks very much for posting some comments... Love it!! (knew you would like the voltage monitor) :D

CMAG

Enlightened
Glad you like the build! :)

Thanks very much for posting some comments... Love it!! (knew you would like the voltage monitor) :D

It is a sweet install, small flush with tube hardly know it's there,:thumbsup:

tigman_tim

Newly Enlightened
CMAG->
thanks for your comments, I am not on the fence more like humpy-dumpy and have fallen into the light...

jayrob-->
I am in the process of wearing down the "wifey" for the whole 9-yards. Gona use the old camping bump in the night story and then I how I am saving us money!!!
Hopefully she'll buy some shoes then I'm in like flint :whistle:

Fignewt

Newly Enlightened

Got my MT-G2 Mag Mod from Jayrob last week and am very happy! The light works great and met all my expectations. Communication with Jayrob was quick and he was very patient answering my questions, even when I changed my order a couple times. I would definitely do business with him again!

The light came well packaged in it's original packaging. All stock mag parts were included and came with a sheet explaining the features and instructions.

The light worked great out of the box. The two 32650's were equally charged and the voltage monitor works beautifully and sits flush with the Maglite body. On high the light gets warm but not too hot after 10-15 minutes. On medium and low the light remains cool through the entire runtime. I haven't been able to test the full runtimes of each mode, but the battery drain rate seems to be on par with the runtime data in Jayrob's first post.

This Mag puts out a wall of light! I work in EMS and find that floodier lights are much more useful for my job, and I usually utilize my lights for short to medium distances. But even with the huge floody emitter, the sheer power of the MT-G2 puts out decent throw with the smooth aluminum reflector. It is a powerhouse in an inconspicuous package.

My other light is a Fenix TK45 so I was able to compare the two.

The TK45 is rated at 760 lumens. The MT-G2 is estimated to put out over 2000 lumens at 3 amps. You can see the ability of the MT-G2 to light up a room much better than the TK45 and with a much more neutral tint. These are my first light comparison shots. Both photos were taken at f8 1/45 for comparison's sake which doesn't quite give justice to the sheer amount of light either one puts out.

TK45 on High. f8 1/45

MT-G2 on High. f8 1/45

Both MT-G2 and TK45 have floodier beam profiles. While the MT-G2 retains the ability to fine focus the beam, it is still relatively floody, and the spill is able to light up the immediate area very well.

TK45 on High. Tree is about 25 yards away. f8 1/4

MT-G2 on High. f8 1/4

And these last two shots show the tint. The neutral tint of the MT-G2 is great. Both shots taken on auto setting. White wall was 5 feet away.

TK45 on High. f8 1/500

MT-G2 on High. f9.5 1/500

Overall I'm very happy with this Mod. If you're contemplating buying one you can be confident Jayrob will do good work!

jayrob

Enlightened
Great feedback!!!

Thanks for showing those ceiling bounce comparisons and others...

Glad you like your new build. :)

Update:

I've got a good option for a 3 mode 5 Amp set up using 2 cells with voltage monitor option! :D

I'm using the Qlite MT-G2 Zener mod driver. For my personal build, I ordered the driver with 5 extra chips for a total of 13 380mA chips giving about 5 Amps... (if you want 11 chips total, it would be about 4 Amps)

As shown in the pictures below, the driver has brass rings soldered on for help with the heat management, and then I used Arctic Alumina thermal adhesive to pot the chips.

Then when installing, I use more Arctic Alumina thermal adhesive to fill all air gaps in the heatsink driver cavity as the driver is 'squeezed it into place'.

MT-G2%206.jpg

MT-G2%207.jpg

Current readings: (High/medium/low)

Measured at the emitter:
* High - 4790mA's
* Medium - 1115mA's
* Low - 85mA's

Measured at the tail: (battery current draw from 2 X 32650 Li-Ion's)
* High - 4790mA's... Estimated run time - About 1.25 hours.
* Medium - 1355mA"s... Estimated run time - About 4.4 hours.
* Low - 108mA's - Estimated run time - Over 50 hours.

That's using 6000mAh capacity 32650's...

Note: This emitter at 5 Amps is 30 Watts. You must use common sense with your run times for this build. (in High mode) If it gets too warm in your hand, you will get a sense of the proper duty for your run time...

Pricing for the custom driver and extra work on a 5 Amp build (or 4 Amp) - Add $30 (adding this information to the OP)

Last edited:

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bump for Jayrob - I've got a 4 amp MT-G2 coming to me, looks like it will arrive Monday while I am on my way to El Salvador. I've got a Jayrob neutral XM-L Mag with voltage monitor that has had bedroom bureau duty for a few years. Still showing full charge, I light it up about once per month. I've also got one of Jayrob's vintage Eveready lights. Jayrob does great work - if you are looking for a long running BRIGHT light then I'm sure this is the one.

I'll post again after the light arrives (next weekend...).

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Arrived !

No photos today, but this light delivers. I asked Jayrob to go 4 amps on it for a variety of reasons that included how far Vinh was pushing his MT-G2 mods. So I'm halfway between the standard 3 amp driver and the max 5 amp that this driver will deliver.

MT-G2 vs XM-L

I have an XM-L Mag from Jayrob, I had Craig at Illumination Supply send a neutral (Cree XM-L, 14mm Round MCPCB, T5, 3C (5000K) tint ) XM-L to Jayrob because I'm a tint snob and the light does bedroom duty for power failures. Still hasn't been charged, still shows full charge on the voltage display. Both lights have a smooth aluminum reflector (I also added SS bezels & lanyard rings). Note this was in May 2011 that I ordered the original Mag from Jayrob so it is the XM-L above, not a XM-L2.

The hotspot of the MT-G2 is ~3 times the diameter of the XM-L, and to me the MT-G2 is better filled in than the XM-L.
The MT-G2 at 5000K is whiter than the 5000K XM-L (whiter, but no blue, green etc, just a pleasant white (& I am a tint snob))

SPILL - Man, the spill from the MT-G2 is INCREDIBLE. While the XM-L has spill that quickly tapers off in brightness the MT-G2 has BRIGHT spill - much more useful.

My choice between them - hands down is the MT-G2.

Having had a MT-G2 in a few other lights (&P60 drop-ins) I knew I had to get one in a solid Jayrob build. The reflector in the MAG gives reasonable throw from the HUGE MT-G2, but the light it gives is WILD. Jay's estimation of runtime on high is just over 1.5 hours or about 5 hours on medium. I haven't run it long on high so I don't know how hot it will get / how long it would be practical to run, but on medium I'm comfortable saying I would run it for the 5 hours straight.

Highly recommended. I'll try to get some comparison shots next weekend.

jayrob

Enlightened
Arrived !

No photos today, but this light delivers. I asked Jayrob to go 4 amps on it for a variety of reasons that included how far Vinh was pushing his MT-G2 mods. So I'm halfway between the standard 3 amp driver and the max 5 amp that this driver will deliver.

MT-G2 vs XM-L

I have an XM-L Mag from Jayrob, I had Craig at Illumination Supply send a neutral (Cree XM-L, 14mm Round MCPCB, T5, 3C (5000K) tint ) XM-L to Jayrob because I'm a tint snob and the light does bedroom duty for power failures. Still hasn't been charged, still shows full charge on the voltage display. Both lights have a smooth aluminum reflector (I also added SS bezels & lanyard rings). Note this was in May 2011 that I ordered the original Mag from Jayrob so it is the XM-L above, not a XM-L2.

The hotspot of the MT-G2 is ~3 times the diameter of the XM-L, and to me the MT-G2 is better filled in than the XM-L.
The MT-G2 at 5000K is whiter than the 5000K XM-L (whiter, but no blue, green etc, just a pleasant white (& I am a tint snob))

SPILL - Man, the spill from the MT-G2 is INCREDIBLE. While the XM-L has spill that quickly tapers off in brightness the MT-G2 has BRIGHT spill - much more useful.

My choice between them - hands down is the MT-G2.

Having had a MT-G2 in a few other lights (&P60 drop-ins) I knew I had to get one in a solid Jayrob build. The reflector in the MAG gives reasonable throw from the HUGE MT-G2, but the light it gives is WILD. Jay's estimation of runtime on high is just over 1.5 hours or about 5 hours on medium. I haven't run it long on high so I don't know how hot it will get / how long it would be practical to run, but on medium I'm comfortable saying I would run it for the 5 hours straight.

Highly recommended. I'll try to get some comparison shots next weekend.

Glad you like it! :) (knew you would)

Thanks for the feedback! Looking forward to those comparison shots you mentioned! :D

Last edited:

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh man, that MT-G2 is incredible. I've always had a soft spot for 2D & 3C mags. I think I see one of these in my near future. Great output, great beam, and what looks to be great tint. And that voltage meter is too cool.

Now, are these IMR cells or regular lithium ion cells that need to be fed to this light? And, either way, what kind of charger am I going to need to charge these jumbo-size cells?

And, kind of a silly question, but what colors are 2D Mags to be found in these days?

jayrob

Enlightened
Oh man, that MT-G2 is incredible. I've always had a soft spot for 2D & 3C mags. I think I see one of these in my near future. Great output, great beam, and what looks to be great tint. And that voltage meter is too cool.

Now, are these IMR cells or regular lithium ion cells that need to be fed to this light? And, either way, what kind of charger am I going to need to charge these jumbo-size cells?

And, kind of a silly question, but what colors are 2D Mags to be found in these days?

ICR Li-Ion. WF-188 will fit them...

2D Mags are readily available in black, blue, silver, green, purple, smoke, and red. We can also get a Camo one (available in 3D size) and cut it to a 2D if desired.

Just let me know when your ready!
beer.gif

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
Jayrob! Great looking light and kind of what I was looking for! Here's my question I posted in it's own thread: Current best mod for 2D maglite:

Price wise it doesn't need to make sense. I need to curry some favor with an official that has an old 2D mag lite and fix it up for him.

Most in my position pay bribes. That's a line I've never crossed but I do give flashlights sometimes. This guy LOVES his old 2D incandescent mag light. He saw my 2,000 lumen varapower a couple years ago. To save face we blamed the output difference on old batteries in his light. I'd probably offend him if I bought him a new light. But if I bought the parts to give his 32 lumen, 2D light a "total flashlight makeover" well... that might just bring peace to a part of the world riddled with violence! :)

So what are my options? :popcorn:

PS - It has to be reliable. If he loves it but it breaks on him in 3 months that sends a really, really bad message in this part of the world!

So looking at your modded light here are my strange questions:

1. Can you sell me a "kit" version of your light enabling me to do a "total mag lite makeover" on said officials light in say less than 30 min? I'm not sure of what all it entails - I was thinking drop in, new reflector, lens, switch, tail spring. If its fairly simple, not too small I can do my own soldering and some minor mods on the spot. (I'd be doing it with him.)

2. Would the light work at reduced output on primary D's? In another words in a jam, could he use regular D batteries and get at least 150 lumens out of the light?

Thanks! Rick

Latest posts