• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired FS: MT-G2 Mag Mod with Voltage Monitor Option...

rumack

Enlightened
Oh, this looks sweet. How cool would it be to pull out an innocent looking 2D Maglite and proceed to blow everyone's socks off? And I like hearing a good report from another admitted tint snob. Tint is important to me, too. :D

I need to start saving, plus look for some of those adapters to allow charging batteries larger than 18650 in an 18650 charger.

jayrob

Enlightened
Oh, this looks sweet. How cool would it be to pull out an innocent looking 2D Maglite and proceed to blow everyone's socks off? And I like hearing a good report from another admitted tint snob. Tint is important to me, too. :D

I need to start saving, plus look for some of those adapters to allow charging batteries larger than 18650 in an 18650 charger.

You can get some of these small magnets from lighthound and just solder up some magnetic leads if you don't want to get a charger that will fit the 32650's...

Jayrob! Great looking light and kind of what I was looking for! Here's my question I posted in it's own thread: Current best mod for 2D maglite:

Price wise it doesn't need to make sense. I need to curry some favor with an official that has an old 2D mag lite and fix it up for him.

Most in my position pay bribes. That's a line I've never crossed but I do give flashlights sometimes. This guy LOVES his old 2D incandescent mag light. He saw my 2,000 lumen varapower a couple years ago. To save face we blamed the output difference on old batteries in his light. I'd probably offend him if I bought him a new light. But if I bought the parts to give his 32 lumen, 2D light a "total flashlight makeover" well... that might just bring peace to a part of the world riddled with violence! :)

So what are my options? :popcorn:

PS - It has to be reliable. If he loves it but it breaks on him in 3 months that sends a really, really bad message in this part of the world!

So looking at your modded light here are my strange questions:

1. Can you sell me a "kit" version of your light enabling me to do a "total mag lite makeover" on said officials light in say less than 30 min? I'm not sure of what all it entails - I was thinking drop in, new reflector, lens, switch, tail spring. If its fairly simple, not too small I can do my own soldering and some minor mods on the spot. (I'd be doing it with him.)

2. Would the light work at reduced output on primary D's? In another words in a jam, could he use regular D batteries and get at least 150 lumens out of the light?

Thanks! Rick

Well I can make a heatsink/emitter/driver assembled and tested, but it's not exactly a 'drop in'...

You would still need to remove the switch and cut off the stock bulb stem, and solder on some wire. (I'd recommend 22 AWG)

Then you can solder your leads to my driver leads, adjust the heatsink position, and put in the custom reflector and glass lens...

The voltage monitor is quite a bit more involved... (but does not absolutely have to have it - just really nice)

Or you can send me his light and I can build it up!

Send me a PM!
beer.gif

Last edited:

CMAG

Enlightened
My jayrob 3 Amp MT G2 rocks, So I sent Jay a 5 Amp DW driver I had collecting dust. I am still looking for words to describe her (Black 3 cell jayrob M@G MT G2 at 5 Amps). I expected a good increase in output, but nothing like this, she blows away the 3 Amp.:eek::D
Jay was right in saying you will like it This one makes 6 jayrob builds I now have, all A#1 in workmanship:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

jayrob

Enlightened
My jayrob 3 Amp MT G2 rocks, So I sent Jay a 5 Amp DW driver I had collecting dust. I am still looking for words to describe her (Black 3 cell jayrob M@G MT G2 at 5 Amps). I expected a good increase in output, but nothing like this, she blows away the 3 Amp.:eek::D
Jay was right in saying you will like it This one makes 6 jayrob builds I now have, all A#1 in workmanship:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Knew you would like it! :)

Thanks for the feedback... Love it!!

I get the same performance out of the Qlite Zener MT-G2 5 Amp build using only 2 cells with room for the voltage monitor. (my personal build)

But of course your going to have better run time with your buck driver from Der Wichtel using the 3 cells...

Skeilio

Newly Enlightened
I am new to this forum and would like to purchase this flashlight from you but I cannot send a PM yet
Could you please send me a PM
Thanks

Sheepdog149

Newly Enlightened
jayrob,
Hi there sir. I'd like one for police duty. Something very bright with great flood to boot, since I work night shift. I messaged you too. Thanks for your workmanship sir.

Sheepdog149

Newly Enlightened
Awesome! It'll be a "sleeper Maglite." Other officers will be like -- "Wow, why is your flashlight so much brighter than mine." LOL :D

jonwkng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi jayrob!
Received my light! I love it! MT-G2 driven at 5A is jaw-dropping, but coupled with the beauty of the 20mm star and emitter taking centre-stage, it is downright beautiful. Nice and clean modding work. Superb! :thumbsup:
I'll let the photo below do the talking...

14886986783_1a2974a5f7_o.jpg

Last edited:

jayrob

Enlightened
Hi jayrob!
Received my light! I love it! MT-G2 driven at 5A is jaw-dropping, but coupled with the beauty of the 20mm star and emitter taking centre-stage, it is downright beautiful. Nice and clean modding work. Superb! :thumbsup:
I'll let the photo below do the talking...

14886986783_1a2974a5f7_o.jpg

Glad to know it got to you...

I was looking at your collection listed in your signature link. Wow! That's quite an arsenal of custom mods you have there!

Which just makes me that much happier to hear your good feedback on the build... :)

Glad you like it!
beer.gif

Last edited:

gomle

Newly Enlightened
Hi, got a 5amp crenelatede with all the goodies today. Awesome package! Amazing light and colour. Many thanks! :thumbsup:

burton391

Newly Enlightened
Good to know I may need to pick one of these up for my first light. Let the addiction begin