• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired FS: SST-50 / SST-90 MAG C / D Deluxe Heatsink ***Ready to ship***

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Re: FS: SST-50 / SST90 Deluxe Heatsink ***Ready to ship***

Hi darkzero,

Could you elaborate? May I know if you meant that the reflector does not sit low enough for the Mag ring to be fully screw in?

With regards,
Jo @ Britelumens

Joe they look nice. Have you actually mounted an SST Emitter and tried to focus them in a MagLite? I found the pedastal needed to be around .200 taller than the P7 heatsink to focus properly and looking at the pictures appears the pedestal is lower than the lip of the heatsink.

It appears by the pictures to me that this will not work. I have built a few of the SST-50 LED's in mag hosts and to properly focus the LED using the *stock* reflector the pedestal protrudes into the reflector around .200 of an inch. It barely looks like you have the height with your current design.

Mac

In regards to my question, Mac has mentioned a key point, "stock reflector", not sure if he has noticed the same results that I have. I've tried modified Carely reflectors & a KD MOP reflector (copy of FM's reflector). All of these reflectors are shorter than the stock Mag reflector. Although I have not actually tired FM's reflector I'm assuming it is the same as the KD is a copy of it. In a Mag D LED mod there is not an issue. In a Mag C mod because of the shorter length of the reflector & the Mag C head does not screw as far down as a Mag D they will not come into proper focus in a Mag C LED mod. The issue is not in relation to the Mag bezel screwing all the way down.

I have yet to find a metal reflector that is the same height or longer than the stock Mag reflector.

I encountered this issue long ago when using a Hotlips heatsink & a PMR reflector. Back then the hotlips heatsink & PMR (modified Carely reflector) was all that was readily available. The PMR is alot shorter than the Mag reflector. Then came along the O-sink, the DHS, & your (Britelumens) heatsink. The O-sink & the DHS are pretty much based off the Hotlips with pretty much the same dimensions. The pedastal height on these heatsinks is .116-.117" both C & D size. I have never used one of your heatsinks so I can't comment on them.

In a Mag D the back of the stock reflector (with the cam cut off) can bottom out on the heatsink with the head screwed all the way down. In a Mag C, the stock reflector (with cam cut off) can not bottom out on the heatsink cause the head does not screw down that far. With Luxeons, SSC P4s, & SSC P7s in a Mag C with stock reflector it will still come into correct focus. With any "shorter" aftermarket Mag reflector the optimal focul point for best throw) can not be reached in a Mag C using these heatsinks.

So to sum it up, what is the difference in height between your reflector compared to the stock Mag reflector? If shorter, it may not focus "correctly" when using the heatsinks I mentioned. Again I haven't used one of you Mag C heatsinks yet. How high is the pedastal on you Mag C heatsink?

Mac mentioned the SST-50 heatsink needs to be .2 taller than the P7 heatsink. I'm assuming he is refering to your (Britelumens) P7 heatsink? Of course the depth of the "face" at which the pedastal starts at makes a difference too. Here's a sneak peak of a SST-50 Mag that I'm almost done with pictured at best focus. I used a standard DHS heatsink & using the stock reflector I can achieve proper focus. No additional height added to the pedastal, emitter is sitting right on it. The pedastal height of the standard DHS & DHS P7 heatsink are roughly the same. If I had a reflector that was any shorter than the stock reflector in this one it may not focus correctly.

Img_4165.jpg

Img_4178.jpg

kz1000s1

Enlightened

Hi Jo,
I thought it was unusual that you said your emitters were still on the way but you already have a heatsink in production. For my SST-90 mag I started with your P7 D deluxe heatsink. When I posted before that it worked well when modded for this app, I primarily meant from a thermal standpoint. For focus the pedestal is too short. Mine is slightly shorter than original though. The step was ground down level with the bottom of the emitter pocket. Then I cut reliefs for the wires on each side.

DSCN9502.jpg

DSCN9507.jpg

With a mag reflector I couldn't get full focus until I cut a chamfer around the inside top edge of the sink (not shown here). Then the reflector that had the cam cut off to the bottom of the hole bottom on the floor of the sink. Shortening the reflector at the hole gave me the rest of the focus.

DSCN9512.jpg

I later opened up the hole a little more than shown here.

You make a great product Jo, just do some more R&D on this one.
Make the Pedestal taller and make sure the channels for the wires are deep enough for any size wire that might be used pulled these high amps.

Mettee

Enlightened

jo,

What will the backside of the sink look like? How will it hold the many different board configurations needed to drive this emitter? I am guessing this new heatsink is the same as the P7 one as far as the space for the boards.

Drew

Britelumens

Enlightened

@ Darkzero;

Regards to your question about my MOP reflector to fit this particular heatsink with your SST-50 mod. From your photos, what I can see is that there are some different with my heatsink and I could not judge if you will get a good focus with your current modded heatsink. But my MOP reflector have more or less similar height like what some OEM reflector are offering here.

I have not started a MAG C SST based heatsink yet so I could not tell you off hand about it.

@ kz1000s1

Thanks for sharing the photos of your mod with the SST-50 on my P7 heatsink and your valuable feedback.

To ease some concerns of few members if my current design SST-50 /90 heatsinks will have a good focus. The best bet is for me to add some info upon I receive these 2 emitters.

They should reach me before any of you receive this first batch of heatsinks.
And by then, the answer will be clear :thumbsup:. And for those who got the items and without any machining means in the event that the focus is not perfect. I will then offer these individuals with solutions.

@ Drew ;

The base has the same opening like my Deluxe P7 heatsink that would work with most popular drivers size.

With regards,
Jo @ Britelumens

JamisonM

Enlightened

Jo, what exactly are dimensions of the SST-50 heatsinks? Is there space to fix a hipCC to it's bottom?

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'll wait and see. My paypal is ready after things get cleared up. :popcorn:

Mettee

Enlightened

Jo, what exactly are dimensions of the SST-50 heatsinks? Is there space to fix a hipCC to it's bottom?

this the same reason I asked about the sink in my previous post, The driver board options for these leds are not the same as the P7 and an area for a D2flex doesnt seem to cut it...hipflex/sharks/etc seem to be what is being used.

Britelumens

Enlightened

Hi JamisonM , Mettee;

The opening on both of the SST 50 /SST 90 are the same as my deluxe heatsink with the larger opening at approximate 25mm dia and a depth of 2mm. There is no driver that I know can power this emitter without sandwich and such. Hence the opening is not for design to accommodate a particular driver design.

With regards,
Jo @ Britelumens

Britelumens

Enlightened

Hi All,

For some individual who were concern about my newly release SST-50 / SST-90 deluxe heatsink of mine will focus properly base on photo judgement. Here is a mock-up that I made using a Cree XR-E which resemble very closely to the physical dimension of a SST-50 (pictured):

The emitter sit perfectly into the intended pocket
hs2-1.jpg

Realistic mock up, with AR coated lens, 15mm MOP reflector and bezel
hs1-1.jpg

This beam show the MAG head being turn down to its minimal (Can you see the slight donut in the beamshot)
beam1.jpg

This beam show the MAG head being turn down to halfway to the maximum allow (Can you see that the beamshot is almost perfect focus?)
beam2.jpg

This beam show the MAG head being turn down to the maximum allow with the reflector touching the base of my Deluxe SST-50 heatsink(Is quite a hot spot.)
beam3.jpg

Of course, there will be more update when the SST-50 / SST-90 reach my mailbox. That would be the ACTUAL TEST.

With regards,
Jo @ Britelumens

Last edited:

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: FS: SST-50 / SST-90 MAG D Deluxe Heatsink ***Ready to ship***

Wow! A lot has transpired since I looked at this thread. It's funny, the questions I had in my head have already been asked and answered here. The pedestal being a tad lower was my experience on your original P7 C Mag heatsink since I didn't have a D Mag one yet. The revised one worked great for me with a stock sputtered reflector.

I keep checking my mailbox every day for my SST-90 heatsink, although I know that my emitters have not shipped :ohgeez:

Thanks Jo for your products, and most excellent service! Can't wait!

Britelumens

Enlightened

Hi Guys,

For those who are anticipating for the actual test result whether with SST-90 emitter will perform as intended on this heatsink. Please kindly refer to post #1.

Hoped it boost some confident in some.

With regards,
Jo @ Britelumens

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well Joe I'm glad for you I was wrong.

Did you try both stock and your MOP aluminum reflector?

Mac

Hi Guys,

For those who are anticipating for the actual test result whether with SST-90 emitter will perform as intended on this heatsink. Please kindly refer to post #1.

Hoped it boost some confident in some.

With regards,
Jo @ Britelumens

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast

Received my HS this morning :thumbsup:

Good to hear that the HS focuses as it should

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great News Jo, looks like a winner! Thanks for the update!

Britelumens

Enlightened

Hi Mac,

No worries.

About the beam profile, if you are referring to the beam shot of the SST-90 with the 16mm MOP. It's at post #1. Else, I have not build a full light as yet.
But beam profile at 4 m ~ 5 m are looking good with the MOP. This huge emitter produce nice big spot.

Will put up a stock reflector beam when possible.

Well Joe I'm glad for you I was wrong.

Did you try both stock and your MOP aluminum reflector?

Mac

To others:

Guys, thanks for those who have trusted in me. Nevertheless, if there is a need, I will raise the pedestal a bit.

Enjoy this emitter on your Mag. Will update the date of the SST-90 heatsink availability again.

With regards,
Jo @ Britelumens

p/s: Last but no least, I would like to thank nailbender (Dave) for lending me these 2 emitters. Thanks Dave!

icaruz

Newly Enlightened

Jo,

Will you offer this as a combo just like the p7?

Britelumens

Enlightened

Hi icaruz,

I'm working towards that.

With regards,
Jo @ Britelumens

p/s: New stock of SST-90 heatsink for MAG D will be available early next week.

Jo,

Will you offer this as a combo just like the p7?

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just put together my SST-90 Mag ..... wow its bright and the beam is great.
With the head screw down all the way the SST-90 focuses perfectly with
my KD OP reflector (had to widen the opening with my Dremel)

Jo, any plans for a Mag C heatsink for the SST-50 or 90 ?

Britelumens

Enlightened

Hi tx101,

Thanks for sharing your build and nice to hear the heatsink perform flawlessly. It's a nice emitter on a Mag modd isn't it :thumbsup:

Yes, a MAG C version could happen, both SST-50 or just the SST-90?

With regards,
Jo @ Britelumens

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast

Tell us about your build, or start a thread in the Homemade and Modified section, with pics of course!