Ft. Hood Shootings - Take 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since we are talking about Ft. Hood, and my recommendation involved training of people, etc., and I don't work at Ft. Hood, I don't suppose I ever will have to implement it.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Until Lopez started shooting, wouldn't he have been considered a good guy? So wouldn't he have been allowed to carry weapons on base if all service people could be armed?

My guess is that there are scores of others in the service that suffer from some form of mental illness, temporary or long-term, work or personal-related, and if they too, are allowed to carry weapons on base, I think we would see a lot more shootings.

There are both advantages and disadvantages to arming people, so which one outweighs the other? By the way, does anyone know why firearms were banned on base in the first place?

Caveat: I did NOT read all of the responses, so I apologize if I'm being redundant.

OK engineer, someone is shooting at you and your family......what's your complex solution? Who do you want to help, and how long are you willing to wait for the properly trained person to arrive? Don't spend too much time overthinking it or you and your loved ones will be dead.

Sometimes, it is just that simple.

~ Chance

I've already outlined my plan... have plenty of trained people.
What part of my plan didn't you like?

One is reminded of the famous Mike Tyson quote:

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."

I hope you never have to try to implement yours, Steve.

~ Chance

Since we are talking about Ft. Hood, and my recommendation involved training of people, etc., and I don't work at Ft. Hood, I don't suppose I ever will have to implement it.

No, the question I asked was about you and yours.

~ Chance

Until Lopez started shooting, wouldn't he have been considered a good guy? So wouldn't he have been allowed to carry weapons on base if all service people could be armed?

Yes, considered a "good guy" but no, not "allowed" to carry weapons on base. Mr. Lopez was undergoing medical treatment and was reportedly on a 'cocktail' of drugs, including antidepressants and Ambien.

My guess is that there are scores of others in the service that suffer from some form of mental illness, temporary or long-term, work or personal-related, and if they too, are allowed to carry weapons on base, I think we would see a lot more shootings.

That's the problem. They are allowed to carry weapons. Not legally, but carry them they do.

There are both advantages and disadvantages to arming people, so which one outweighs the other? By the way, does anyone know why firearms were banned on base in the first place?

Caveat: I did NOT read all of the responses, so I apologize if I'm being redundant.

The advantage would be, innocent people wouldn't be defenseless.

~ Chance

Empath

Flashaholic
So, what are our choices? We could close it now, or we could let it go until it becomes apparent that it is beyond acceptable.

I'd be inclined at this time to ask our participants to consider the directions the thread takes, and it's effect on others outside our own spheres of belief and preferences. If it becomes clear that it is upsetting to some, or if common sense shows it beyond proper consideration, then it will be closed immediately.

I'd still recommend the areas of potential friction be addressed on a thread in the Underground. The Underground was designed with just such a situation in mind.

The difficulty in discussing a hot topic that many feel strongly on, and the requirements of a casual friendly forum such as the Cafe, is that the two aren't compatible. When you have members that hold their opinion to themselves, due to conflict with others' with strongly entrenched opinions that don't seem to mind pushing their opinions on the more compliant members, then it simply isn't fair. That is the domain of our Underground board. It's time to take the discussion there, where the highly charged topic has already been approached.

The topic is closed here. Please feel free to take it to our Underground board.

Status
Not open for further replies.