Fun with pennies, R123a, and a PILA charger

Navck

Enlightened

If don't have spacers that fit exactly, pennies are great substitutes. I also used my multimeter to check the resistance, from what I see so far it shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:

Navck

Enlightened
Well a PILA IBC charges at the 600MAH range, and seeing a MP cell is about 700MAH in capacity, I'm just under the 1C rate (The highest you can go for a LiIon).
The other part is that it uses a CC/CV charging method, so I shouldn't be toasting any cells here...

Navck

Enlightened
abvidledUK said:
Lots of pennies=lots of junctions=lots of resistance.

Well this should keep my R123as from being toasted from the resistance, but wouldn't the current take the path of least resistance (Through the outer coating of copper instead of the other materials within the penny?)

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Navck said:
Well this should keep my R123as from being toasted from the resistance, but wouldn't the current take the path of least resistance (Through the outer coating of copper instead of the other materials within the penny?)

Resistance creates heat. (Possibly even sparks at junctions)

Junctions between pennies are probably slightly mobile.

Giving rise to slightly varying current.

Just something to consider.

Navck

Enlightened
Well I don't think I'll have a problem with pennies moving away, since I've checked how many pennies are needed for holding the R123 in place but not to cause any slippage or deadly projectiles.