GatLight V2 - now with unlimited brightness levels

Nabors

Newly Enlightened
Re: GatLight SIGN UP FOR ROUND 2

:paypal: for 1 SS 123 with SS hex screws

rmacias

Enlightened

:paypal: For (1) Stainless Steel 123 with Stainless Hex Flat Screws.

RJM

mst3k

Enlightened

:paypal:

Just ordered a SS Pila version.

I failed to order a battery, I suppose I can wait. I assume this model comes sans battery?

Anyway thanks.

Looking forward to it.

One thing I forgot to do though was add my cpf Username to my order

the order I sent was id# 26S451795H464573Y and its me! mst3k.

:shrug: :crackup:

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast

yep PILA version is without battery - since you need a battery and a charger and a lot of people already seem to have one. Feel free to place another order just for the battery (and just add in the notes that it be shipped with your other order.)

Walter

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

Walter, just to confirm that the contest winner for the best Gatlight photo will end when the 2nd runs starts delivery & the winner gets to choose the Gatlight of his choice in the available finishes/types in the 3rd run right? :) I really want a Ti 123 Gatlight but can't afford it right now, so hoping to do a nice photo that can win me one. :naughty: :D

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast

The contest will end when I close sign up for round 3. I basically want people who signed up for round 2 - to have a chance as well to take part in this.

It seems out of the first run only Stillphoto decided to give it a shot - so he is the only one who uploaded some photos to the ftp.

Sorry Flashlight we are pretty cash strapped at the moment, the contest is for a 3rd round Aluminum or Stainless 123 or PILA version. We can't do the Titanium - however if you would win, we could apply the price of the contest version towards a Titanium version so you would basically pay the price for a normal version - and be getting a Titanium.

Now if Kyle and I find ourselves in unexpected wealth we might upgrade the winning version to TI.

By the way I will likely close sign up for round 2 earlier then originally planned - we got quite a few orders in for round 2...
----------
QUESTION TO EVERYONE WHO ORDERED TITANIUM:

Do you guys like the rods in the satin finish (the way they came in the first run) - or would you prefer polished rods? (if polished is prefered we'll see whether we can find polished ones...)

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply Walter. That's a good & fair deal then. Hopefully I can take some nice photos of my Gatlight when I get back from my trip. :) (I'd prefer the satin finish Ti rods. ;) )

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well so far if you submit similar quality photos as still photo - so far you'd have a 50% chance. Wonder what the others prefer....

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast

By the way we will most likely add a distinctive but very smooth clicking mechanism (ball bearing based) to the knob for this second run (prototype tests pending).... should provide a nice feel when turning the knob.

Amorphous

Enlightened

mobile1 said:
By the way we will most likely add a distinctive but very smooth clicking mechanism (ball bearing based) to the knob for this second run (prototype tests pending).... should provide a nice feel when turning the knob.

Yes !! :rock: :popcorn:

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast

This depends on 2 things:

a) We can find polished rods
b) People prefer polished to satin

I'll send out an email asking people who ordered TI what they prefer. If they prefer polished we go and see if we can find them... What is your preference?

Anybody else who ordered Titanium maybe they can post what they prefer? So far opinion seems split...

(We got a lot of orders for this second run but quite a few didn't post here, or aren't following the thread - so I might have to email them).

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast

I like the way the polished steel looks but like the idea of Ti and the weight difference. On a couple of photos of the Ti version it looked like there was a long mark that was caused by insertion through the disks. I guess that aspect of the build process wouldn't show as much on polished Ti or steel. So my preference would be polished Ti.

-LT

vandrecken

Newly Enlightened

Order placed - 1x S Pila 168 size + cell + int. shipping.

Can't wait for next easter !

Cheers

PS - having never seen the light in the flesh so to speak, the only components whose durability I wonder about the silicon seals. Any plans to make spares of these available up front in case of damage etc ?

Last edited:

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast

ok we'll see whether we can find some polished TI bar... maybe we can make it an option (but no promises). Regarding the Silicone Seals, for this run we'll have them manufactured, the most expensive part is the mold - so we should have many extra seals...

Regarding marks - polished bars shouldn't show any marks (like the stainless versions), the disadvantage with the satin is that they can leave small marks when pressed through the rings - however in reality I noticed they are not noticable. You can see them a little bit with high resolution photos that fill the entire screen.

We are currently also looking in adding a couple of extra features... but since none of them are prototype tested yet I don't want to raise any hopes...

We are currently in a critical phase any changes to the design need to be done this week before Kyle will finish it up in order to have some prototypes created.

Some minor changes (that don't need prototyping) we have implemented so far (inspired by Amorphous's suggestions)
-In the back the screws that hold the battery lid will be round and the heads of these 3 screws are about half as high then in the last run (to create a lower profile and simplify knob operation).
-In the front ring/bezel or rim where the light exits, we have added a (chamfer) or angle to allow more light to exit through the front.

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

mobile1 said:

That'll be nice. By the way, I forgot to mention (and not sure if anyone has noticed or mentioned before) that one can actually get 'momentary' light activation by turning the switch knob back just a bit after the on position & pressing down on the knob. :D

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
MAJOR DESIGN CHANGE - DISCUSSION

KYLE AND I WOULD LIKE TO DISCUSS quite a DRAMATIC DESIGN CHANGE. Now this is a bit of a bad point in time to do that (since so far we have about 65 orders (guess) - however we bumped into this by chance and thought it just looked too cool to not run it by you guys...

So what do you think if we change the LOOK to this - unless the majority of you guys like it we won't do it.... but we think it looks better...

First here a rendering of the light WITH the DESIGN CHANGE (and black hex screws)
GATLIGHTV2.jpg

or here another one of the new design
GATLIGHTV2b.jpg

THEN HERE A RENDERING old version (TOP) in comparision to new (BOTTOM)
study.jpg

SO THE QUESTION: What do you like better, NEW DESIGN (rounded) or OLD ONE or YOU DON[T CARE :thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking:

Last edited:

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

The new design is very nice!! Surprising what a difference like that can make. Just looks more refined!!

Hmmm, did I order stainless flat phillips screws - those black hex screws sure look good!! I'd better go back to take a look at all those pictures!!

Keep up the good work!!

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast

I like it....I agree about my having ordered the philips heads screws however...might prefer the hex, balck of stainless if that is an option....

Karlthv

Latest posts