GatLight V3 - Carbon Fiber / Titanium with Cree XR-E

Status
Not open for further replies.

wvaltakis2

Enlightened
What size are the screws? I'd like order some Ti ones so the screws match the bars and the switch when I anodize them.

Also, were any of the serial numbers preferences from this thread forwarded to the fulfillment center?

Thanks,
~Chip

LumenCraft1

Newly Enlightened
Chip,
Couple of things.
The screws are completely custom. They have a .050" hex drive but the geometry of the screw is non standard. We did this to optimize the light. The standard screws were slightly to large in diameter for the design.

Yes the serial number requests were sent to our warehouse and are being considered in the shipping process. However if you chose to re-anodize the unit than the serial number will be removed in the process because the numbers are laser marked.

Also in regards to anodizing. We do not recommend anybody re-anodize these units. The process of anodizing on this light is tricky and there is a very good chance that the parts will be damaged beyond repair. And keep in mind that we do not have extra parts to offer for sale.

Thanks,
Kyle

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the replies Walter and Kyle. Any guestimate on when the first Tuxedo units will be shipped?
And second theoretically how difficult will it be for me to replace the LED when there are hopefully better SSC bins (or compatible Lumileds) available in a year or two?
I believe I'll have to disassemble the structure quite a bit to get to the emitter, but will I be able to access the emitter easily, with some difficulty or not at all? I couldn't quite tell from the pictures posted thus far.

dmdrewitt

Flashlight Enthusiast
My two Gatlight V3's have just arrived in England. :thumbsup:

Thank you Walter and Kyle. Absolutely amazing. No time to type here, need to explore the V3.

I am normally here in England watching all the USA guys receive their's first. DHL shipping has come up trumps this time.

Departed Lumencaft 7/25/2007 , arrived in England 7/27/2007 at 10.45am :twothumbs

Have any more arrived today?

David

billybright

Enlightened
Mine is with the delivery courier Leeds, United Kingdom,

looks like i could get mine today :thumbsup:

edit: It's Here!!!

Last edited:

dmdrewitt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Walter

One of my Gatlights has a black mark when looking into the optic.

I cannot see any black marks when looking on the outer surface of the optic (side view).

Could the black mark be on the LED?

How easy is it to disassemble to check the LED?

Shot with Canon DIGITAL IXUS 75 at 2007-07-27

David

ho71ko

Newly Enlightened
SN 055 has safely arrived in Germany and watches me know as I type this.

Great little light!!

On a side note: I have tested the battery and the the meter only rates it 60%... Why would one ruin such a nice project with a cheap, almost depleted battery??

Holger

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the feedback so far. To the questions:

Black Mark: I went through all the units I have here and I found one other unit that had the same thing. I removed the front screws than the optics with the Oring. And on the LED there was a little black dot. I took a cotton swab and just wiped it off. Than reassembled it and it's gone. I'll check all future units we ship out that they don't have that.

So if you remove the 12 screws, optics and ORing you can just wipe it off. Than when you reassemble make sure to gradually screw the front frame down by tightening all the screws about equally (or just start with 4) than the other ones. Also don't tighten them too much (you'll notice when your remove them how little they're tightened - or feels like it - but those screws are so small they can easily be overtightened - or the threads stripped in which case the bar would need to be replaced). Anyway let us know if you think you can do that or if you have any questions. Otherwise we can do it but it would mean shipping back and forth.

60% Battery: We actually use brand new batteries we got from Amondotech (acc. to cpf tests some of the best ones around) - the only test we do with it is the function and feature test of the final unit, but that only takes about 3-5% of the battery power. So 95% or higher is what they all should ship with. How did you determine 60% - runtime based? or digital readout? maybe you can turn the light on to max and see how long it runs at max. If the brightness gets lower (or the low battery strobe starts) 30min or less than your battery defenitely was not what we intended.

When the tuxedo's ship?
Today I am visiting the shop again and I am picking up ALL the remaining Titanium units. Than they had to redo a part on the tuxedo unit which I'll review when I'll pick up the TIs. Once Kyle and I clear that, Tux assembly will start with the goal that they're all completed by this coming week.

Last edited:

ho71ko

Newly Enlightened

60% Battery: ...How did you determine 60% - runtime based? or digital readout? maybe you can turn the light on to max and see how long it runs at max. If the brightness gets lower (or the low battery strobe starts) 30min or less than your battery defenitely was not what we intended.

I have used a ZTS Pulse Load Multi-Battery Tester. It is supposed to be very accurate and I check all my batteries prior to use with it.

To state that clear: This is no real issue and the battery cost is a fraction of the overall cost. I do not care about that battery.
But it damages that "perfect" feeling that I and may others have associated with the Gatlight.

Holger

Miciobigio

Enlightened
I do not care about that battery.
But it damages that "perfect" feeling that I and may others have associated with the Gatlight.

Holger

I've read this x10 times but i can't understand how a battery can damages the "feeling" associated with the Gatlight :confused:.

IMHO the free battery is just a plus (and should not be included in the packages ).

Have fun with your Gatlight V3 :kiss:

Walter :

You are not a lucky man , you have sent the only 60% depleted battery to the only CPF user that have a "ZTS Pulse Load Multi-Battery Tester" :crackup::crackup:

Last edited:

hivoltage

Enlightened
Yeah...I dont get it either. I could care less about the battery. I just consider it the battery used to test the Gatlight and it saves time not having to replace it when testing is done. Not an issue in my opinion. Plus I dont think I would hold a whole lot of faith on a 30 dollar battery tester!!

Last edited:

ArsMachina

Enlightened
Here in Germany No. 21 and 22 dropped out of a parcel :)

They are feeling very comfortable in their family <g>

allgats.jpg

The variable brightness is just stunning at the V3 - I am very impressed.
Thanks a lot for this wonderful light !!!!

Jochen

dmdrewitt

Flashlight Enthusiast

Black Mark: I went through all the units I have here and I found one other unit that had the same thing. I removed the front screws than the optics with the Oring. And on the LED there was a little black dot. I took a cotton swab and just wiped it off. Than reassembled it and it's gone. I'll check all future units we ship out that they don't have that.

So if you remove the 12 screws, optics and ORing you can just wipe it off. Than when you reassemble make sure to gradually screw the front frame down by tightening all the screws about equally (or just start with 4) than the other ones. Also don't tighten them too much (you'll notice when your remove them how little they're tightened - or feels like it - but those screws are so small they can easily be overtightened - or the threads stripped in which case the bar would need to be replaced). Anyway let us know if you think you can do that or if you have any questions. Otherwise we can do it but it would mean shipping back and forth.

Hi Walter

Thank you for your reply.

I will order a MIP Thorp .050 Hex Driver (Kyles post #744 for the size) from the States, and use that to take out the screws. I have tried the one on my Leatherman, but I don't want to damage the screws.

Don (McGizmo) recommended the MIP Thorp brand for the Ti clip screws on the PD's. I have to admit, it really works well and is excellent quality.

I'll let you know how I get on once the hex driver arrives.

Thanks again

David

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well its good to know about the battery. We'll get us one of these testers. We don't wanna pay 100% the price for a 60% charged battery. And we haven't ever tested those before we put'em in and assumed they're all 100% charged. The couple ones we used seemed fine, delivering the expected runtime. By the way if someone has some time, I'd love to know what the runtime is on the lowest battery setting...

Thanks for the photos and comments.

I personally think the variable brightness turned out most excellent. Ever since we introduced this with the V2 we've come a very long way - We're pretty certain it is the smallest package regulated fully variable brightness driver out there. And to achieve this was not an easy task - (and the reason we patented that mechanism). That mechanism is 98% perfect...

Last edited:

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here in Germany No. 21 and 22 dropped out of a parcel :)

They are feeling very comfortable in their family <g>

allgats.jpg

The variable brightness is just stunning at the V3 - I am very impressed.
Thanks a lot for this wonderful light !!!!

Jochen

What kind of batteries are powering the one on the right?:thinking:

ArsMachina

Enlightened
What kind of batteries are powering the one on the right?:thinking:

Hehe :) There is no batterie inside and so you see the rubber and the module falling around in the cage ;)

BTW. At the V1 Pila in the middle you can see a MCR reflector mod :)

Jochen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts