• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

GDuP progress thread.

hjdca

Newly Enlightened
With the custom levels, are only the outputs adjustable or can the order and number of the levels be changed?

i.e. could one be programed for hi-med-low or super low-hi-med?

Thanks!

I have a GDuP in my Haiku with 4 levels. It was made by DatiLed and programmed by the Sandwich Shoppe for 10ma, 200ma, 450ma, 1200ma.. All you have to do is ask for 4 levels.. I love it.. It is really a great Constant Current circuit.. The auto calibration is pretty cool..., it maintains optimal efficiency... The boost, buck circuits are also cool... The levels are always the same brightness until the battery is exhausted.. , ie. same with a rechargeable 3.7 volt or a 3 volt primary... With my XM-L2 5000K LED at 10ma the CC gives you a slight tint shift towards green, but, it is not that noticable... The XM-L2 seems to handle the CC 10ma well.... The 1200ma level is super bright and I love it for the car shows at night... If a totally dead rechargeable battery messes up the LED calibration, you will get a slight momentary flicker in the levels when you put the new battery in and it will re-calibrate, like magic !

rolling

Enlightened
Hi, i have bought a GDuP in November 2008 and just recently used it in a lightengine. At first it worked good. Until i triggered the calibration. After calibration the low mode is gone. All i get is a brief flash on low and after that nothing. The other two modes work fine. The LED is an SSC P4 high cri, dont remember the bin. Some tips how i can fix this?

regards
Manuel

Ms_SS

Enlightened
Hi Miguel,

First, try a fresh set of batteries to see if you get 3 levels. If not please continue . . .

Since you have pre- 2010 GDuP please follow the original instructions on the page 1
A brief description of how the On state UI works. (Auto-calibration UI update at the bottom of this post) - - Here it is is:

Turning on the light on and then quickly off will cycle the light to the next level when it is turned on the next time. We will call this "tapping".

Tapping the light will cycle to the next level the next time it is turned on. Internally a counter is incremented. If the internal counter reaches 15 the next time the light is turned on it will calibrate the light.

The internal counter is retained even when the light is off. There are two ways to reset the counter.

1) Turn the light on for more than a second.

2) Calibrate the light.

CAUTION: It would at first appear that you would rarely get the internal counter to numbers higher than 10. But, a casual user can easily get over 10.

One way is to play with the light. Cycle it three times, grin with happiness the light works as stated. Set the light down. Now the internal counter is at three and has not been reset. Later that day you pick the light up and do it again. Happily the light works and you again grin with happiness and fiddle with the light off. Moments later you repeat this process. Each time you cycle three times the counter continues to increment. Eventually the light appears broken and starts flashing and no longer cycles. Leaving the light on for more than second doesn't seem to do anything.

You have now started the calibration sequence with the internal counter having a value of 15 or more.

Once you get into calibration you can do one of two things:

1) Let it calibrate. (takes a few minutes) Successful completion is with the light ramping up/down 5 times and then going into low.

2) after turning it on turn it off after it stops ramping up/down.

The light ramps up/down at the beginning of calibration and the end of calibration. The internal counter is reset right after the first set of ramp up/down and can be turned off without affecting the current calibrated levels.

A fresh battery is recommended if you want to perform calibration and there is no harm to run calibration. Calibration is done when the light or LE is assembled and there should never be a need for re-calibration.

The initial ramp up/down in brightness may appear as a blink or may to others be termed or phrased differently. If you look closely the light intensity varies. This is the ramp up/down and it should do this 5 times.

Wayne

Last edited:

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Wayne, any news on this?

I have created some custom version of the GDuP code. These are available or versions thereof. Contact me for more info.

Things I have changed in one version or another:

Latch or non Latched versions.

cycle forward or cycle backwards.

Unlatched with default set to a specific level. Still cycleable.

I have code for the SOBuP that is not available since there is no production hardware that would extend the low end of the range.

Wayne