GE Nighthawk NHX Nighthawk Xenon +120, how are they?

Cadchris

Newly Enlightened
Back down to at least $20.94 on Amazon...certainly not the great price earlier this year. Is this bulb still worthwhile, or is there better in a halogen?

Last edited by a moderator:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
$21 is a terrific bargain on those bulbs, which are still top-class. That price appears to apply only to the H4; all other bulb types range in price from "OK" to "OK, you have to be kidding me".

I'd stock up while the gettin's good; that $12 price earlier this year lasted what, a day, at most?

Cadchris

Newly Enlightened
I just now saw the prices on those other bulbs since you mentioned it, WOW.... so I just ordered me some H4's!

Thanks for the advice!

jaycee88

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I was about to post about the price on these bulbs as well, but Cadchris beat me to it.

A month ago these were going for about $50/pair. The price has been steadily dropping since then.

FWIW, I've been running a Nighthawk Xenon on my motorcycle for the past few months. It currently has about 260 hours on the low beam. I haven't been able to find the Tc and B3 values for this bulb, does anyone have this data on hand? I will probably replace it soon - don't want it to suddenly fail on me at night (single bulb headlamp).

Duodec

Newly Enlightened
How are the H1 bulbs in this line? I'm really not sure I'll like the color temp on these bulbs (based on the chart on the Amazon item page) but if I put them in I'll want the high beams on my quad-headlight car to have matching bulbs.

Thanks!

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
The whole line is quite excellent. But worrying about color temp from halogen headlamps is often a quick road to a bad place. What is it you're trying/hoping to achieve, and what is it that makes you think you won't like them?

Duodec

Newly Enlightened
The whole line is quite excellent. But worrying about color temp from halogen headlamps is often a quick road to a bad place. What is it you're trying/hoping to achieve, and what is it that makes you think you won't like them?

While I've certainly outgrown my old attachment to tungsten sealed beam warm light for cars, I have been happy with the performance and color of the Philips XTremevision line compared to the factory bulbs in the current Ford Flex and previous Jeep Liberty, and not a fan of the blue-filtered or blue tinged or "crystal white" lights at all. The one set of Silverstar bulbs I tried years ago (before finding this site and Daniel Stern's and getting enlightened) were about as far in that spectrum direction as I cared for and they were quickly replaced with the Philips.

Their packaging implies a color temp that might be beyond what the silverstars put out. That is what concerns. The application is a '71 Challenger (quad headlights) with older Cibie 5-3/4" lamps and a relay kit. Currently I have bulbs from a stash of German made Osram BiLux H4s and Osram H1s, and while certainly far better than the original sealed beams, I'm open to upgrading (if it is an effective upgrade). I could also get the Philips Xtreme bulbs but the kudos these GE's seemed to be receiving here (and the sale prices) seemed worth following up.

I hope that alleviates your concerns. Thanks for replying!

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Oh! Don't worry about it -- there's no discernible blue tint to the light from the GE bulbs. Off-axis you might catch a reflection of the blue band in a certain part of the reflector when glancing at the lamp, but within the beam itself (including above the cutoff), there's no blue.

Depending on how "older" those Cibies are, you might ping Stern for some newer lamps; seems like he's had some real gems in stock lately in the 5.75" rounds.

jaycee88

Newly Enlightened
Price drop thread bump - the H4's have dropped down to the $15/pair mark on Amazon.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Geeze louise, the price swings on that product are reminding me of Polar Vortex weather: a jillion below yesterday, 68 above today. Get 'em while the getting's good! Good spotting, Jaycee88.

jaycee88

Newly Enlightened
Nighthawk Xenon 9003 currently at $30/pair on Amazon. H4 is over $50 - go figure.

Edit note - looks like all flavors except H4 are around $30.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
That's an excellent deal on the Nighthawk Xenon, which is an excellent bulb. It's the Tungsram Megalight +120 as previously packaged/merchandised for the NAFTA market. I initially guessed this price break was a blowout deal on obsolete packaging (the GE name is out and the Tungsram name is in now), but it looks like that's not it...the exact same bulb in the new Tungsram packaging is $10 more, but the H13 isn't (and same goes for H11 and other types).

EJR

Newly Enlightened
Its not uncommon for bulb packaging to change every so often.

Tungsram's webpage for 3D product images lists the H11 NHX as part number 93117864 for the box and part number 93116385 for the plastic box (PB). But their 2022 catalog only shows this bulb in a PB.

The HB2 NHX product image is only showing up as part number 93117860 for the box. In the catalog however this part shows as a PB.

*shrugs shoulders*