General Discussion

outdoorguy82

Newly Enlightened
Re: Current Promotions&Discounts

Hello ArmyTek,

I just wanted to ask a question about manually selecting a power source with your flashlights. In the manual it states that you should not manually select a power source (type of battery) unless you are using an unprotected li-ion battery. Being the idiot that I am, I selected a power source manually and I wanted to know if there is a way to reset this so I don't have a power source selected. Thanks for any information on this and I really want to thank you for the awesome quality lights that your company produces. Everything works as it should and your shipping to the United States was much faster than I could have expected. Very satisfied customer here!!! You will be seeing more business from me in the near future. Thanks again.

ArmyTek

Enlightened
Re: Current Promotions&Discounts

Hello ArmyTek,

I just wanted to ask a question about manually selecting a power source with your flashlights. In the manual it states that you should not manually select a power source (type of battery) unless you are using an unprotected li-ion battery. Being the idiot that I am, I selected a power source manually and I wanted to know if there is a way to reset this so I don't have a power source selected. Thanks for any information on this and I really want to thank you for the awesome quality lights that your company produces. Everything works as it should and your shipping to the United States was much faster than I could have expected. Very satisfied customer here!!! You will be seeing more business from me in the near future. Thanks again.

Hello!
For example, if you choosed 14500, but use AA - just go in menu and choose AA again. :)
Thank you so much for your kind words! You are welcome.

Lumencrazy

Enlightened
Shipping From China

The followinle shipping schedule and costs are provided on the company website.
It also mention thast most products are shipped out on the next business day
Order totalShipping MethodDelivery TimeCosts
<$50Surface Airlifted4-8 weeks$5
Airmail2-4 weeks$10
FedEx/DHL2-5 days$30*
$50 - $95Surface Airlifted4-8 weeksFREE*
Airmail2-4 weeks$10
FedEx/DHL2-5 days$30*
>$95Airmail2-4 weeksFREE*
FedEx/DHL2-5 days$30*
>$130 FedEx/DHL2-5 days FREE*

If I order both a Predator and Viking pro's (>$130) can I expect them within one week?
This will be very important to me with regards to my travel schedule.

ven

Flashaholic
Re: Shipping From China

Quickest from China to UK i have had is around 10 days, slowest around 4-5wks. I would allow a good 2 weeks, maybe 3 to avoid frustration...............

Where is it shipped to..........?

Edit- maybe possible for a week if you pay extra and if that service is offered..............just a thought

Lumencrazy

Enlightened

I am shipping to the US. They advertise 3-5 days for purchases over $130. If you include next day order fulfilment, as they say, that should work out to one week.
Is that reality?

ven

Flashaholic

I am sure its possible, the other week i ordered some Eight hex keys from Japan on the Tuesday, i received on the Friday.................

If its tracked and guaranteed then i can only presume it would arrive in that time.

Just so many factors, i sent a parcel to the States with guaranteed delivery in a week,tracked etc. However the tracking No changed out of the UK and it took 3 weeks!

If there is not that much saving from buying your side, i would be tempted to buy from a reputable seller and piece of mind if anything goes wrong(just imo).

Jose Marin

Enlightened

Beware of the duty costs that are in the terms of agreement when ordering from their site, orders over 200 dollars you will be billed later. I made the mistake of not reading the terms and i got a bill from dhl for 45 dollars. I ordered a baracuda and a predator at the same time so i was well over 200. i later returned them because i was unhappy with the lights and had to eat the 45 bucks because they don't refund it.

Lumencrazy

Enlightened

Beware of the duty costs that are in the terms of agreement when ordering from their site, orders over 200 dollars you will be billed later. I made the mistake of not reading the terms and i got a bill from dhl for 45 dollars. I ordered a baracuda and a predator at the same time so i was well over 200. i later returned them because i was unhappy with the lights and had to eat the 45 bucks because they don't refund it.

Thanks for the info. DHL is taking a cut because $45 is well above the duty. They are charging brokerage fees (and very generous ones) and are deciding to do it on your behalf without your permission as well. I wonder how much of that amount they are really paying since typically small amounts, even over $200, are often let through. It is customs that decides not the courier. I once sent a $35 scarf as a gift. FEDEX charged $17 customs and brokerage fees (%50 of the item cost) it is a scam!! Think about it. all the additional costs end up being the real cost of your flashlight.
This business model makes it very convenient and very profitable for the manufacturer and ultimately the customer accepts all of the risk. The purchaser has to order it, cover all of the import costs and then happily wait for however long it takes to arrive. Then, even if it is under warranty, with an obvious manufacturing defect, is required make a movie to prove that it is, in fact, missing an Led. Arrange and pay for shipping back to China, then wait for a replacement product and a refund (just don't pay for tracking). We have lost our minds. We are suckers!!! From the manufacturer serving the customer we have been retrained to provide the manufacturer service and convenience and then pay for it. Bizarre!! if you instead choose to buy from a US dealer the manufacturer of the light, who themselves made the decision to sell and release the flashlight for distribution is somehow not responsible if the specifications do not comply with what is listed on their website. How far we have come.

Last edited:

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. DHL is taking a cut because $45 is well above the duty. They are charging brokerage fees (and very generous ones) and are deciding to do it on your behalf without your permission as well. I wonder how much of that amount they are really paying since typically small amounts, even over $200, are often let through. It is customs that decides not the courier. I once sent a $35 scarf as a gift. FEDEX charged $17 customs and brokerage fees (%50 of the item cost) it is a scam!! Think about it. all the additional costs end up being the real cost of your flashlight.
This business model makes it very convenient and very profitable for the manufacturer and ultimately the customer accepts all of the risk. The purchaser has to order it, cover all of the import costs and then happily wait for however long it takes to arrive. Then, even if it is under warranty, with an obvious manufacturing defect, is required make a movie to prove that it is, in fact, missing an Led. Arrange and pay for shipping back to China, then wait for a replacement product and a refund (just don't pay for tracking). We have lost our minds. We are suckers!!! From the manufacturer serving the customer we have been retrained to provide the manufacturer service and convenience and then pay for it. Bizarre!! if you instead choose to buy from a US dealer the manufacturer of the light, who themselves made the decision to sell and release the flashlight for distribution is somehow not responsible if the specifications do not comply with what is listed on their website. How far we have come.

There is an important difference between USPS and DHL/UPS/FEDEX. When a broker handles clearance, the broker is are legally required to collect any duty that is owed. They generate an entry which has the details (description, HTS number, value, duty rate, and duty due) and attaches payment for the duty which is submitted to customs (electronically these days) . Customs then can accept or reject the entry. Rejections are extremely rare.

The only complaint I have with that is that the competence of the people they use to determine the HTS (Harmonized Tarifff System) number (which determines the tariff rate) is often more than a little suspect. Quite frequently the goods may be classified into one or more HTS number. There are often a substantial differences in duty rates between HTS numbers that represent very similar products. There is nothing that requires the goods be classified into the highest duty rate HTS number. Obviously it is to your advantage to put them into the HTS number with the lowest duty rate. For example a number of years ago I purchased a HID flashlight (and it cost well over $200). Flashlights have fairly high duty rates. I had the shipper declare it as portable HID lighting (which it certainly was). IIRC, the HTS number for portable HID lighting turns out to be non-dutiable, in other words. Zero duty. Perfectly legal.

Naturally these companies also charge for the use of their customs broker, which is perfectly legal. What very few people realize is that you can challenge the duty charged and request an adjustment. I used to do this frequently with Federal Express, and almost always succeeded. The customs brokers employed by the courier companies are not experts in anything except customs brokerage. They have to deal with an immense variety of goods. They often don't have enough knowledge to know which HTS numbers best describes the product, and for the money they are getting paid, are not going to spend an hour researching to figure out what HTS number is the best fit. They will pick the first HTS number that seems to fit the description and move on.

By contrast USPS customs clearance is actually handled by Customs and Border Protection (CPB), who are under NO legal obligation to charge duties. While the courier companies are legally obligated to charge the duty regardless of how large or small it is, there is no such obligation on the part of Customs and Border Protection. If the duty is less than the they believe it will cost them to fill out the paper work, they are inclined not to bother. The result is that often parcels which are in fact dutiable, enter free because CBP does not want to be bothered. If duty is due, the Post office charges a fee, plus the cost of a COD shipment, plus the applicable duty. However the fee the USPS charges tend to be quite small compared to what a customs broker will charge.

If the shipment will weigh more than about 20 pounds, you might consider shipping via Air Freight. If it is a non-commercial import, you can go to Customs (assuming you live in a city with a Port of Entry) and handle the clearance yourself, avoiding the brokerage fee. Goods being returned to USA if they were manufactured in the USA are always non-dutiable (American Goods Returned).

Last edited:

Lumencrazy

Enlightened

Excellent info. TKS. The Painful part is the minimum brokerage fee that can be a significant % of a lower cost item.

ven

Flashaholic

Why not just buy them from US? Going Gear has both in stock and for under $130 each.

+1 to this, there have been the odd issue with some AT lights and piece of mind, great shops your side to,worth a few more $ and have any pain free returns if required:)

Lumencrazy

Enlightened

+1 to this, there have been the odd issue with some AT lights and piece of mind, great shops your side to,worth a few more $ and have any pain free returns if required:)

In fact Going Gear frequently has sales of up to 15-20% so it is much cheaper than buying from China. Delivery is free on all orders above $50. Just wait about six months after a new model is released because Armytek will ship off-spec lights to the Dealers first.

........FromArmytek's post
icon1.png
Re: Dobermann. Tactical lights
Quote "......Armytek store doesn`t sell these models (without Strobe). Dealers` models have other number of modes. Dealers were notified about that. It is not a defect in the flashlight, it is just a pre-release model with other number of modes. If you were misled - contact your dealer. It is not service or warranty case..........." (end of quote)

We just design them, make them, and decide when to ship them. Any off-spec lights are the Dealers responsibility??????? Information on our website may not apply! Up to the customer to figure that out.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic

Thats armyteks mess up imo, they should not be shipping lights out and not controlling them..............i am sure its put many potential buyers off the newer versions(has me). I bought the pro v2.5 and its great ,solid dependable light which gives confidence......

Places like going gear who are as good as it gets for shops, i am sure they can advise on what model or if it has strobe or not:)

I do and have imported a good few lights over the years but in the UK we dont have shops like you. Dont get me wrong ,there are good flashlight shops, just a hefty premium on prices and i can save sometimes 100% !! If it was a mere $20 or so i would certainly buy local for piece of mind as the though of shipping to china.........well :crazy:

:)

LessDark

Enlightened

I recently bought a Barracuda directly from Armytek, and received it 4 days later in Norway. Fastest shipping from China I've ever experienced.

SemiMan

Banned

As stated by others, they MUST charge duties and taxes, which means they MUST do work on your behalf (you ordered after all). It is not a scam, it is a cost of importing products from a foreign country, and the cost of not having free trade .... which many do not want.

"WE" have not been retrained. Perhaps you have? I only order things from China that are disposable, and I usually send by China Post/USPS as there are rarely much in the way or duty/brokerage charges. If it is for business, sure I will spend for DHL and FEDEX, and incur the costs of doing business.

Often, I will order locally, or in country. Sure I may pay a premium up front, but save on shipping and duties, time, and return hassles. I am essentially paying someone else to do that work and take on that risk. They also order in bulk, so have much less overhead per unit on brokerage charges, but have the same duty charges.

Matheww50, I always encourage senders to ensure they fill out the proper paper work including a proper commercial invoice. It can be a negotiation with vendors in China on the HS code, because while the HS code impacts our import costs, it also impacts how much VAT they get back when they export the product.

Semiman

Highbandwidth

Newly Enlightened

Quickest from China to UK i have had is around 10 days, slowest around 4-5wks. I would allow a good 2 weeks, maybe 3 to avoid frustration...............

Wait, I am apparently a bit slow. Doesn't their website go on about being a Canadian manufacturer with a six floor factory in Canada? But their lights are made in China and factory orders ship from China? Defective lights must be shipped back to China?

This changes my math considerably on Armytek. I don't appreciate the disingenuous "Canadian Manufacturer" claim. If I'm buying from Asia, I want to know that up front. Why on earth would I buy a Predator instead of one of Vinh's throwers which have far better performance?

Lumencrazy

Enlightened

No they have made it clear that they manufacture in China. But why one would one have a six-story building and manufacture vertically instead of horizontally?

Last edited:

SemiMan

Banned

Almost all factories in China are multi-floor. Same reason we have condos and apartment building. Maximize real estate usage in high demand areas.

Latest posts