GLADIUS/INSIGHT TYPHOON SEOULED(P4) MODDING ***UPDATES & DISCUSSION ***

Status
Not open for further replies.

GLADIUSX1

Enlightened
Re: MY GLADIUS NIGHT OPS SEOULED(P4)

Everything on the Gladius works as before only the brightness is increased to 180-200 lumes.:rock:

Last edited:

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast

GLADIUSX1 said:
(One of my favorite features of the Gladius is how low and directional the beam is on low level.
While I like what you have done with the high end brightness of the light,
the wider and brighter Low kills one of my favorite features of the light.)

The statement is not all that correct. the low is only a fraction higher(1,0 lume instead of 0.8) and the beam is twice as wide over all,so the beam ends up having the same precieved brightness.this is very low and has better beam quality and is more usefull when reading maps and text,same level, wider beam more usefull.softer edges .
Here are two photos to show the beam at 10-12 inches away.the brighter one is over exposed 1 f stop the other is normal.click on for larger version

Let me first say that I think your mod is nice and well executed for you as a Gladius owner.
If you were a Night-Ops product tester I would say that you have killed one of the best features of this light.

There is a SIGNIFICANT difference between .8 lumen and 1 lumen at that level.
It is a 20% increase of total light output.
Your pictures demonstrate this very clearly.
Look in the low right corner of your photos.
On my 17" Powerbook-

Gladius stock - no door casing visible
Gladius P4 - door casing clearly visible and the entire wall around the corona is brighter.

That kills one of my main uses for my Gladiuses. Illuminating a small area while not illuminating the rest of a room. I like using my Gladiuses on low when looking for things in the bedroom knowing

1. I can see fine.
2. I have such control over it's beam and how the room lights up I never need to worry about disturbing my wife.

My first year at MBC my roomate was from New York and I am from So. Cal., with my Gladius I could negotiate the room without him ever waking up.

Out of my lights, only my Red Raw on low works better in these circumstances. On high it is 190 lumens of truly blinding RED light.

I have plenty of lights that will blow away a Gladius for overall brightness.
It is my only light that combines good useable brightness with the ability to go VERY low in light output.

You may want to mention that modding the lights will also void their warranties.

If you are a private person and this mod works for you, then great.
If others would like to have you do this and do not care about voided warranties, great again.

I am just saying that when and if Night-Ops revises the Gladius I hope they DO NOT loose the current low setting. I feel the Gladius will loose some of its funtionality without having the circuitry adjusted to keep the low as low as it is now. For that matter with the wider beam I would like to see a new Gladius with a low level at .6 lumen.

These are just my opinions based on how CLEARLY your photos demonstrate how much brighter the extra .2 lumens is in your mod.

Take Care,
mtbkndad :wave:

GLADIUSX1

Enlightened

Yes the warantie will be nulled and void but as of this time with so many out there I think the only issue that has crop up was the switch issue and has been taken care of over a year ago and no other issues since.as i state in the last post with photos the spill is so low it is insignificant.the claim of 20% in the figure is rite but don't forget that it takes four times the output in the figures to equal double the preceived light output and as i stated with the beam twice as wide the light puts out the same preceived light output as the original gladius did.the photo that shows the beam only with no spill is what you will see with your eyes and the brighter one is over exposed to showdetail. if i missed anything please post.
:touche:
but i am glad for the input all comments welcome.:thanks:
Thanx

Last edited:

GLADIUSX1

Enlightened

Sorry forgot to mention that I also use my lite as you do in the night at home and in the early morning on the low setting and it is much improved wider beam (twice )and same preceived light level.my wife does not wake up either.
:touche::rock:

Last edited:

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast

GLADIUSX1 said:
Sorry forgot to mention that I also use my lite as you do in the night at home and in the early morning on the low setting and it is much improved wider beam (twice )and same preceived light level.my wife does not wake up either.
:touche::rock:

These lights are really great in spouse non irritation mode :D .
I sent an email to Vaughn Baker of Night-Ops with a link to your mod thread.

My goal is to get Night-Ops to seriously consider what a Cree XRE or Seoul P4 can do for this wonderful light.
I also mentioned it would be nice, with the more even beam, to drop the low to .6 lumens.
My thinking is that, with a lower low, we can always choose slightly brighter if we need it.

Now that Night-Ops will hopefully be looking at this thread I will mention that my new Lumapower LP-Mini will easily out throw two Gladiuses at once and possibly 3, I need to wait till my wife returns home Monday evening so I can use her's and try one LP-Mini against 1 - 2 - 3 Gladiuses at once.
I will do beam shots of the experiment.

That is not to take away from the useability of the current Gladius.
Rather, I would love to see Night-Ops come out with something that has an even larger light range from high to low.
Hopefully this thread will help that come about if they are not working on it already.

You really did do a nice job with this mod :thumbsup: .

Take Care,
mtbkndad :wave:

GLADIUSX1

Enlightened

If not mentioned the run time will not have changed ,they will be within 5% +/-.all functions the same.I have tested with 3 volt rechargebles and the run time results were great 30 minutes in full mode and the heat was lower and it did not step down in that setting ,but these were only 3 volt 600ma protected so at the end of the 30 minutes they shut down (voltage protection).I will give more times in the future.this will take time.
:rock:

Last edited:

GLADIUSX1

Enlightened
Re: MY GLADIUS NIGHT OPS SEOULED(P4)updated

The gladius night ops modding list has begun.check thread for updates .

:rock:

Last edited:

GLADIUSX1

Enlightened

Thank you everyone for your business , keep them coming,ONLY HUNDREDS TO GO.:grouphug:

Last edited:

The Voice of Reason

Newly Enlightened

mtbkndad said:
These lights are really great in spouse non irritation mode
biggrin.gif
I sent an email to Vaughn Baker of Night-Ops with a link to your mod thread.

My goal is to get Night-Ops to seriously consider what a Cree XRE or Seoul P4 can do for this wonderful light.
I also mentioned it would be nice, with the more even beam, to drop the low to .6 lumens.
My thinking is that, with a lower low, we can always choose slightly brighter if we need it.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Wow 0.5 lumen to 200 lumens - I'd buy at least two in a heartbeat!! Especially if the form factor, ergonomics and user interface were maintained. These aspects are without doubt the VERY best in the business (and this is coming from a real SF fan).

The SF beamshaper makes the best light even more versatile.

GLADIUSX1

Enlightened
Re: MY GLADIUS NIGHT OPS SEOULED(P4) MODDING HAS BEGUN

Thank you Speedpro for the payment:rock:

GLADIUSX1

Enlightened
Re: MY GLADIUS NIGHT OPS SEOULED(P4) MODDING HAS BEGUN

Thats a good question,the answer is next week I will receive the first of the lights to mod and I will take photos and post to show the diff ,but if you look at the one in the thread of tha gladius and the streamlight that is a good example.will post next week.
Schnotts said:
Any beamshots of it comparing the new mod to how it used to be?

Status
Not open for further replies.