GLADIUS/INSIGHT TYPHOON SEOULED(P4) MODDING ***UPDATES & DISCUSSION ***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Gladius does not low-bat blink and is working great with 3v RcR123's sold at Lighthound.com. They are listed on his site as 700mah but they delivered me the 1000mah version. The ultrafire charger sold there and at dealextreme.com works great with these batteries too...

Cheers

I removed the plastic insert for use with 18650's also...
IMG_1618.jpg

Ken J. Good

Enlightened
Did a little neighboorhood testing this evening. From my backyard shining across the road.

Typical housing development with street lights and other light sources.

Okay, I am very stoked about what this package can now do. The real added benefit is the throw in terms of distance and push if you will against ambient light...I am mean a significant difference.

If a human was hiding in some of the shadows, from 40-60 yards out, you could flush him/her out.

The camera does not quite do it justice as I could see more with my eyes, but the pics do a good job of telling the realative output story.

I did a visual estimate of 50-60 yards, then did a Google Earth, ruler distance measurement which indicated 60 yards from my location to the target area.

Original-Gladius-Distance.jpg

Mod-Gladius-Distance.jpg

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ken,
thanks for those impressive pics - the mod does indeed give it a good amount of throw.
Can't pass up this opportunity to ask - do you have any plans of incorporating this mod into the production model? thanks for your input.

Ken J. Good

Enlightened
Always looking to move foward.

When the new emitters will find themselves in the next Gen of Gladius lights...I cannot say right now.

Obviously I am hoping sooner than later.

Samuel

Enlightened
Hi Ken, thanks for your feedback! You know what would be awesome (IMO)? A "turbo head" option for the Gladius (kinda like the SF KT1/KT2 but without needing to change lamps)... Maybe with a McGizmo 38 or 45? :D

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Samuel said:
Hi Ken, thanks for your feedback! You know what would be awesome (IMO)? A "turbo head" option for the Gladius (kinda like the SF KT1/KT2 but without needing to change lamps)... Maybe with a McGizmo 38 or 45? :D

I second that motion...

Eskimojo

Newly Enlightened
Lucky You!
Had to pay $149 to UPS (3 lights - do the math):rant:
Can't wait to get the lights back :popcorn: and have them gold plated...

glenn_r said:
I marked the package "warranty service" but Canada's post office is still charging $28.24 duty fees. Even after I explained it's being sent in for service and won't be staying in Canada.

:rant:

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got mine yesterday- THANKS GLADIUSX1!!!!

It is mind blowing. It may be my brightest single LED light in my collection. It is everything I wanted in a Gladius, including a much higher output on high. The strobe is really attention grabbing/debilitating now, and I forgot how much I love the intuitive UI. Damn, this is a keeper.

I highly recommend this mod to everyone. It will become one of your favorite lights (again). I can't wait to try this little beast out on a hike next week.

GLADIUSX1

Enlightened
A Big Thank You to everyone getting the mods and those who have .please feel free to post any comments ,reveiws and the like so everyone can see the good the bad and the brightly.:crackup:pictures to .by camera is broke.I have the lens in stock only a few but the UCL-LDF lens are really cool ,made to fit the Gladiusx1 as the stock lens.a very mild diffuse flim on the inside ,you can still see the led and it really smooths the beam and you get no artifacts.it does spread the beam but still throws very good.
This week we have a long weekend holiday and I will be gone from the 18 till the 22.so no shipments till the following weekend.:wave:
GLADIUSX1:rock:

GLADIUSX1

Enlightened
SORRY .NOT TO BE MISUNDERSTOOD.I'M ALL FOR THE NEW VERSION COMING AS IS EVERYONE:twothumbs.
GLADIUSX1

Last edited:

Ken J. Good

Enlightened
It's not "your mod". You are capitalizing on others work and efforts that is abundantly clear at this point.

A. You did not develop the Gladius.

B. You did not develop the P4.

C. Many people I deal with don't want to send the their light to Canada to somebody they don't know and lose the warrantee on the Gladius you did not develop or support. Many do and will continue to do so.

D. With respect to my interaction with you. I paid a fair price for a fair service and in fact have pointed quite a few people your direction post receiving this service from you. In addition, I did exactly what you told me to do in marking the package yet I was required to pay an additional $47 in duties/taxes. I was planning on sending all individuals I encounter your direction as an option until an alternative developed (which may or may not have materialized).

I would humbly suggest you wake up to the realities of the fair, competitive practices of the hardware/service industry. My priorities are not yours per se, but the several 10's of thousands of folks that have obtained the Gladius for use in high-risk situations and want an upgrade until the next generation is available. It seems your priority is you.

The folks I answer to are not going to trust an individual they do not know that lives in a different country, working out of who knows what facility, with X amount of production capacity without any guarantee the integrity or long-term support of the system.

Are you prepared to take post-modded Gladius's in for warrantee work and all that implies? Even if you were (which you are not based on the processes you have in place), I would not trust you at this point.

The last folks I dealt with in your country essentially stole the entire concept of a multifunction light that has variable power, strobing, constant ON/OFF and momentary and produced their own light after we entrusted them under contract to develop our concepts. Their integrity level is noticeably absent.

I am no stranger to intellectual capital theft with respect to hardware and tactical concepts as I have been on the receiving end several times over the last couple of decades.

As long as we are talking about respect: Did you take the time to ask me what I thought of you modding a light we brought to the forefront? No, you just started modding.

Great, free world. People benefit. Nothing wrong with that. However, you could have handled it in much different manner. I can probably fairly say, that folks know who is behind the Gladius. Yet, your "name" on CPF is "GladiusX1"

Who is hijacking what?

Please don't start slamming me for fully supporting a product (you had nothing to do with) that our team represented by year's and year's of practical operational experience brought forth.

Additionally you clearly communicated that money was my primary and singular motivation. Anybody who really knows me would essentially laugh in your face.

Your comments are misplaced to say the least.

I would expect you to continue to mod within the community/network your sphere of influence represent.

I would further expect you to cease and desist "throwing me under the bus" for supporting the community/network I have surrounding me.

I have taken nothing from you. If fact in the final analysis you have benefited from my work.

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mike,

The Modders Realm is wide open. Anyone can mod his or any light which may or may not voiding the lights warranty.

The distributor or producer of the light can pick and choose whom ever they want without hindrance to upgrade there light with warranty intact irregardless of who else is modding the light and may be voiding the warranty.

Business is Business - enough said... Continue on...

waynejitsu

Enlightened
WOW!!! Bad attitude...

It's not "your mod". You are capitalizing on others work and efforts that is abundantly clear at this point.

"How is it "not" his mod?
He modded the light, it is his.
If I buy a car and build the motor, custom paint it, interior, etc..., it is MY modded car.
MY idea to "improve" on a design already in existence."

A. You did not develop the Gladius.

B. You did not develop the P4.

"No, but he did make it BETTER by taking 2 parts, putting them together and making a new high performance light out of something he already paid for."

C. Many people I deal with don't want to send the their light to Canada to somebody they don't know and lose the warrantee on the Gladius you did not develop or support. Many do and will continue to do so.

"Good point. I know Mike better from the forum, so will continue to send him my lights and support him"

D. With respect to my interaction with you. I paid a fair price for a fair service and in fact have pointed quite a few people your direction post receiving this service from you. In addition, I did exactly what you told me to do in marking the package yet I was required to pay an additional $47 in duties/taxes. I was planning on sending all individuals I encounter your direction as an option until an alternative developed (which may or may not have materialized).

"I have had trouble with customs in the past on sales, etc. However, we do not have control over customs..., what they do or not do."

I would humbly suggest you wake up to the realities of the fair, competitive practices of the hardware/service industry. My priorities are not yours per se, but the several 10's of thousands of folks that have obtained the Gladius for use in high-risk situations and want an upgrade until the next generation is available. It seems your priority is you.

"After talking to Mike many many times, I can assure you that he is great in the customer service areas and wish that many big business would take notes from him and have the same high standards and concerns about "the little guy", not just the bug government contracts, etc that is loaded with money and sales."

The folks I answer to are not going to trust an individual they do not know that lives in a different country, working out of who knows what facility, with X amount of production capacity without any guarantee the integrity or long-term support of the system.

"I tend to think Mike has all of that earned here by not only a great mod, but great prices and after sale service"

Are you prepared to take post-modded Gladius's in for warrantee work and all that implies? Even if you were (which you are not based on the processes you have in place), I would not trust you at this point.

"I was also "not sure", but after several dealings with Mike, I am now sure he is trust worthy which is, unfortunately, more than I can say for many big businesses"

The last folks I dealt with in your country essentially stole the entire concept of a multifunction light that has variable power, strobing, constant ON/OFF and momentary and produced their own light after we entrusted them under contract to develop our concepts. Their integrity level is noticeably absent.

"That's nice, slam a whole country for the act of one person..., I see the mentality now..., that's REALLY BAD!!"

I am no stranger to intellectual capital theft with respect to hardware and tactical concepts as I have been on the receiving end several times over the last couple of decades.

"Haven't we all at some time?"

As long as we are talking about respect: Did you take the time to ask me what I thought of you modding a light we brought to the forefront? No, you just started modding.

"So, If I buy a new Ford, I should contact Ford Company to ask what they think of me installing new brakes or an upgraded intake? GET REAL!!, LOL!!!"
You are a manufacturer..., not GOD."

Great, free world. People benefit. Nothing wrong with that. However, you could have handled it in much different manner. I can probably fairly say, that folks know who is behind the Gladius. Yet, your "name" on CPF is "GladiusX1"

"I go by waynejitsu, although I did not develop jiu-jitsu, I just enjoy it. Maybe I could change it to "sitting watching TV", or would that be taken by the first guy that watched a TV show."

Who is hijacking what?

"And who is being PETTY over an internet forum name?"

Please don't start slamming me for fully supporting a product (you had nothing to do with) that our team represented by year's and year's of practical operational experience brought forth.

"Mike DID have something to do with it. HE installed a Seoul, not you.
Mike made it BETTER than your company. for this, YOU should be thankful. For every mod Mike does, Gladius sells a light..., Hmmm..."

Additionally you clearly communicated that money was my primary and singular motivation. Anybody who really knows me would essentially laugh in your face.

Not about money..., Hmmm..., Can I get a FREE light?
Or at least "at cost"?
Remember, it is not about the money:) "

Your comments are misplaced to say the least.

"Maybe???"

I would expect you to continue to mod within the community/network your sphere of influence represent.

"I sure hope so. His mods are so good that the manufacturer buys one..., it must be GOOD"

I would further expect you to cease and desist "throwing me under the bus" for supporting the community/network I have surrounding me.
I have taken nothing from you. If fact in the final analysis you have benefited from my work.

"Any you seem to have the same in mind, taking from the work and ideas of Mike to make this light better, don't you agree?"

Just to add-
Mike, please keep modding and coming up with new, inovative ideas that the big business guy's do not offer as well as the excellent customer service!!
THANKS MIKE!!!

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, this really needs to end now before people on both sides start coming out of the woodwork, becuase it can only get worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.