Good 2 AA light for gift?

soloz2

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking to give a nice flashlight to someone who already has lots of lights, but they are mostly maglights etc. I'd like something nicer/better, but not too expensive. I was looking at the Thrunite neutron 2A thinking it would be a good general purpose light and easy to use. I understand it's not much of a thrower though. Is there anything else in the same price range I should consider?

Tybo22

Newly Enlightened
I like the fenix ld22. Fenix makes some solid lights.

Fenix LD-22 :
Two Year Warranty
Four light modes 2 strobe modes
Cree XP-G S2

soloz2

Newly Enlightened
The teralux only have two modes with low at 100lm. I'd like an actual, useful low.

The LD22 is about double the price, is it on sale for less somewhere? I need to keep this gift under $40.
How does the E25 compare? To be perfectly honest the LD01 is my only Fenix light and I don't like it because the threads are too stiff making mode switching on a small light more of a hassle than it should be. My Thrunite ti is a much nicer light IMO.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Yamabushi

Enlightened
FourSevens has there Black Friday sale, adding a new light each day for a few more days. See if any of the following go on sale:

Quark Pro QP2A or Quark Tactical QT2A. For more throw, Quark Turbo QB2A.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
The teralux only have two modes with low at 100lm. I'd like an actual, useful low.

The LD22 is about double the price, is it on sale for less somewhere? I need to keep this gift under $40.
How does the E25 compare? To be perfectly honest the LD01 is my only Fenix light and I don't like it because the threads are too stiff making mode switching on a small light more of a hassle than it should be. My Thrunite ti is a much nicer light IMO.

REI has them on sale for now,I got one last week there.
It is a great light as is the LD12.

I also have an E25 and it is nice too but I like having both the clicky and side switch as well as the really low mode too.
If you can't find a sale priced LD22 though the E25 will be a huge step up from a Mag for sure.

curlyfry562

Enlightened
FourSevens has there Black Friday sale, adding a new light each day for a few more days. See if any of the following go on sale:

Quark Pro QP2A or Quark Tactical QT2A. For more throw, Quark Turbo QB2A.

4sevens just marked down their 2xAA Mini to $31. It is about the same form factor as a 2xAA Mag. Here is the link:

Link removed as per the banner at the top of the page - Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

lensman

Newly Enlightened
What about Eagletac D25A2 or the D25A2 mini?

Also, is he or she wed to the 2xAA form factor? If not, maybe you could expand their horizons a bit with a nicely regulated 1xAA? Do they use primaries or rechargeables?

soloz2

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think simple will be better so no hidden modes are needed. Lo-med-hi clicky.
They will use primaries.
Right now the Fenix LD22 is looking like my best option.

gearhead1972

Newly Enlightened
EagleTac P100A2 is one of the best 2 AA throwers out there. only 2 modes 55/236, I love mine it gets switched out with my EagleTac P20A2 for EDC duty

Last edited:

Billspider

Newly Enlightened
I have the New Fenix LD12 S2 Cree LED 120 Lumens Waterproof Flashlight. I paid $46 which included shipping.
I use it as an EDC and I couldn't be happier.
Ordered from Edisonbright on ebay.

LightCrazy

Enlightened
I got the Fenix LD22 early in the summer. What a great light! Super bright, yet the low mode is great for finding my way around the bedroom without disturbing my wife. I run it on NiMH AA batteries, and hardly ever have to charge them. You can even get the diffuser that turns the light into a great camping or general room illumination light.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd probably prefer a Fenix LD22 if it was on sale. But if looking to keep under $40........right around the $35 range the Jetbeam PA20 or Nitecore MT2A is on E*** right now. Jetbeam and Nitecore made by the same company. He's got over 400 of them right now and it looks like they sold 11 yesterday. This particular reseller has had some exceptional prices in the past with the Jetbeam BA40 back in Sept at $39.95. I've got a PA10 (XM-L version) coming in the mail and if I like it, I will be purchasing either the PA20 or MT2A...............just cuz the price is right :thumbsup:.

edit: Just checked quantity of the PA20 and looks like they sold over 200 so far today alone. Now showing quantity as limited. I kind of doubt it was here but somewhere the word got out and they're selling fast now.

Last edited:

Andy13186

Newly Enlightened
i love my jetbeam PA20

at first i thought it was a bit too thin and long, but it grew on me and i now love it.

The nitecore you mentioned looks good as well, along with having a hgiher peak lumen rating.

Last edited:

dilyb

Newly Enlightened
What about options from DealExtreme? They have less expensive choices than Amazon but don't list the Fenix for example.

soloz2

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the help everyone. I ordered a Fenix LD22.