Got a couple new axes for Christmas

rdnzl

Newly Enlightened
My two new axes arrived yesterday.

Gransfors Bruk Splitting Hatchet
Gransfors Bruk Mini Hatchet.

I already own and love my Gransfors Bruk Small Forest Axe. It's the best medium sized axe I've ever owned. These two will fill out the lineup for all of my camping needs. Kinda pricey, but they will outlive me, and probably outlive my kids. I do a lot of camping once spring arrives.
IMG_1325.jpeg
IMG_1322.jpeg

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always wanted that little camp hatchet. Perfect size for chopping kindling, etc..Did the leather handle protector come with, or added on extra?

Gransfors (Swedish) forged steel is among the best.. Nice lineup!

rdnzl

Newly Enlightened
I bought the handle protector separately. It's from a father and son operation in WA state called ROG. They are available on that big online site who shall remain nameless. I put them on all my axes. I try not to mis hit, and usually don't. But sometimes a camping buddy might use one of my axes, and I'd like to keep the handles looking good.

I think I could actually use the little hatchet in a kitchen setting. Putting my hand around the axe head, and I have a very effective knife. It is shaving sharp. The Swedes know their steel, for sure.

nbp

Flashaholic
Beautiful tools. I have a small Hults Bruk axe and the Swedish axes really are a pleasure to make kindling with.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I think I could actually use the little hatchet in a kitchen setting. Putting my hand around the axe head, and I have a very effective knife. It is shaving sharp. The Swedes know their steel, for sure.
I recently butterflied a turkey so it would cook faster and more evenly. With a chef's knife, it was more work than I thought. That little hatchet would work out nicely.

rdnzl

Newly Enlightened
Here they are with my Small Forest Axe that I've owned for 5 or 6 years. It's pretty amazing. I took it out of my camping storage bin this morning, because I wanted post a pic with the other two. While I was at it, I checked the edge. It was amazingly still very sharp. I've used it on 5 or 6 camping trips a year, and it's cut LOTS of wood. I put a stone to the edge and gave it four or five passes per side. Now the thing is beyond scary sharp. It was still very sharp, but now it really is shaving sharp. Pretty amazing, especially after all the work it's done.
IMG_1349.jpeg
IMG_1354.jpeg

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Swedish engine (ductile iron) blocks used in old Volvo 240s are unsurpassed in quality. You wouldn't expect from such a 4 cylinder dog of a car, but autocross racers seek them for building high compression motors. Machinists have told me they've pulled collapsed melted pistons out of cyl bores. Sometimes able to just run a hone, fit new piston & rings, and back on the track.. Nordic women have many attributes as well, I knew a gal who could out bench press many men. 😎 Sorry to get off topic

Poppy

Flashaholic
Here they are with my Small Forest Axe that I've owned for 5 or 6 years. It's pretty amazing. I took it out of my camping storage bin this morning, because I wanted post a pic with the other two. While I was at it, I checked the edge. It was amazingly still very sharp. I've used it on 5 or 6 camping trips a year, and it's cut LOTS of wood. I put a stone to the edge and gave it four or five passes per side. Now the thing is beyond scary sharp. It was still very sharp, but now it really is shaving sharp. Pretty amazing, especially after all the work it's done. View attachment 22261View attachment 22262
Just beautiful!

It funny, that whenever I see a thread on these axes, I'm tempted to run out and buy one. But then... I know that it will just sit with my other cheaper ones, never getting used.

I really don't have a need to split wood, and any camping I do is with the scouts and the wood is already split.

I did buy a Ontario Knife Company SP-8 and brought it on a couple camping trips, never to be used.

1641946000040.png

rdnzl

Newly Enlightened
I've been contemplating an Ontario SP53 or a Gerber Gator Bush Machete, for whacking the brush back on overgrown trails. I'm leaning towards the SP53 because it can also do some chopping.

rdnzl

Newly Enlightened
I got new guards for the two new axes. The ones they come with are pretty cheesy. ROG makes very good ones that will last a long time.
IMG_1361.jpeg

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have had good results from condor machetes

I have owned this Condor since 70s. The rubber handle split years ago, i wrap with grip tape as needed.. It is a great fire wood, chopping, wedge, hammer stakes, etc.. Forged, heat treatment? meh.. Steel is probably recycled railroad spikes from El Salvador but this hatchet can't be hurt

Attachments

• IMG_20220112_115817387_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220112_115817387_HDR.jpg
    688.9 KB · Views: 120

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want a great machete, get yourself a 18" ontario with he molded on oraqnge D guard handle (no rivets to come loose) and saw off the D guard, leaving a litle up front as a cross guard and a little on the rear that covers the hooked end of the the tang. Sharpen her up and get a GI plastic scabbard and you are good to go.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I have owned this Condor since 70s. The rubber handle split years ago, i wrap with grip tape as needed.. It is a great fire wood, chopping, wedge, hammer stakes, etc.. Forged, heat treatment? meh.. Steel is probably recycled railroad spikes from El Salvador but this hatchet can't be hurt
That looks like a timex! Has taken a beating, but keeps on, and on, and on.

I also have a steel shank axe, that I am not afraid of using as a wedge.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would take it as a positive if an edged tool was made from old spikes. I figure they are top quality steel given their environment, role, and expected lifespa
They are pretty hard and strong, high carbon, my guess similar ratings to grade 8 structural bolts.
I keep a few laying around and have welded on them. Tapping two together you can hear the ring of heat treating

turbodog

Flashaholic
They are pretty hard and strong, high carbon, my guess similar ratings to grade 8 structural bolts.
I keep a few laying around and have welded on them. Tapping two together you can hear the ring of heat treating

This guy sounds like he knows what he's talking about. Short version... spikes are not high carbon, are cheap/tough but not brittle.