Got a couple new axes for Christmas

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
TB, Thanks for the link, great info.. however, I am not sure all spikes are created equal.. The few I scavenged along coastal rail lines are tougher metal than bailing wire. Although I understand how they would need to remain malleable, not brittle, under all the stress they take.. Whatever metal compound Condor uses it's good for the utility tools they mfgr.

rdnzl

Newly Enlightened
I ended up getting this chunky bugger. I like the grip, and the edge is pretty sharp.

IMG_1383.jpeg

rdnzl

Newly Enlightened
I just found a GB Scandinavian Forest Axe for a good price. I couldn't pass it up. The last time I looked for one, it was either a 6 month wait, or way over the normal price. So....in addition to the Wildlife Hatchet that is enroute to me already, I've added another. I'll add some pics next when I get them. I will have different tools for different tasks. At least that's what I'm telling myself.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've wanted a GB small forest axe for a while. I make do with an old boy's axe (stamped Philmont), that is a great tool steel and gets scary sharp. I have a Marbles camp ace that I use for hatchet duty.I'm still learning how to sharpen axes correctly.
My favorite machete is an 18" tramontina with wooden grip; and I have an old wwII woodman's pal that I inherited from my father for everything else.

rdnzl

Newly Enlightened
The SFA is the above photos has been in use for probably 4 or 5 years. And used a lot. A few days ago was the first time I've touched up the edge. As in barely did anything to it. It was still sharp before I touched it up, and really didn't need it.

rdnzl

Newly Enlightened
I think the family is now complete. I got the Scandinavian Forest Axe today. Unbelievably sharp. Even sharper than the Wildlife Hatchet, and it is super sharp. The grain on the handle is super straight and aligned. I've not seen an axe handle this nice. Impressive tool. I can't wait to try it out.
IMG_1397.jpeg

Poppy

Flashaholic
Years ago I had that same Old Hickory.
LOL... years ago, me too! That's been with me since 1976!

Now it's packed away with camping gear. Too often family members would use it and not clean and oil it. It would get rusted and I'd get mad. Now my main knife is a stainless chef's knife.

BTW, I love your collection of axes.