GPS units

weaponlight

Newly Enlightened
Yup, The 60CS comes with a sync cable in the box (At least mine did.) But add the Autorouting kit, topo maps, and external antenna and I have $600 in mine. I did not have a Rhino to start with though. Once you use that backlit color screen you will never want to go back.

Spudman

Enlightened
I found an autorouting kit for $139 and that will put my total price with the 60cs at under $500! That's without topo maps. The unit has shipped but still hasn't arrived.

I've also requested an update for the map program. The autorouting kit came with version 5. I believe I can get a free update to 6 since I got it after the new version was released. I'm not positive but that's how I interpret Garmin's update policy.

Now if only it would get here.

Darkcobra

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
weaponlight said:
Darkcobra,
Holy Smokes! A 60C for $340!

[/ QUOTE ]
$370 for the CS /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I also bought it back when Garmin was offering it with the $50 mail in rebate.
If anyone is looking for the Autorouting Kit, I got mines here: Provantage . Their price is constantly changing? I bought mines for $132, now its $130... Mines was the version 6.

Spudman

Enlightened
Wish I'd seen that sooner Darkcobra. I could've kept from going through the update process. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

matt_j

Enlightened
I got the gps on ebay for 384 including shipping and road kit I bought it on amazon for 141 shipped.

You guys were posting some great merchants out there but anyone who doesnt guarantee their stock or has a website that is horrible (aka I can make a better one) I will not trust them regardless of the price. I heard and read to many horror stories about items waiting to be shipped for 3 months with no way o getting money back. I know how much this unit cost for some retailers in NYC since I bothered few of the buyers to get it for me which employee discount so the price I got on ebay is considered a decent one.

I just hope I made a right choice.

weaponlight

Newly Enlightened
Matt, I do not think you will be disappointed.

My 60CS has been dropped onto asphalt (Put the lanyard on it!), used in the pouring rain, ridden in my ruck as we jumped out of C-130's on FT Bragg, Mounted in a bouncing humvee covered with dust in Iraq and more.

I use a small plastic covered spring clip on the end of my lanyard to attach it to a belt loop or the MOLLE attachment points on my armor vest. I have a few extras. If you would like I will send one to you.

I am a NR EMT-B, can I PM you with an unrelated question?

Spudman, When you go through Garmin's website they will mail you new cityselect CD updates at no cost.

matt_j

Enlightened
weaponlight: Sure ask and PM me all ya want.

I'm rough on my equipment and I had some doubts that it will survive the abuse I'm about to put on it. I've seen few Rinos fail and I've also seen Garmin customer service at work. Another concern is screen size for vehicle operation.

Spudman

Enlightened
Matt- Why didn't you get the gps at Amazon too?

Weaponlight-I ordered the update cd from Garmin. They send it out for free, but if you don't qualify for a free update (which I do) I think it is $75 to update your software. Ouch!

weaponlight

Newly Enlightened
Matt,

I think if you deliberately try to destroy it you can.

Mine has been dropped a few times and been thru alot as I described. I still think the 60 series would be tougher than a dedicated car unit.

I have learned the hard way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif to use my lanyards and not to hand (Or loan) my expensive equipment (Flashlights, Leathermans, GPS, etc) to others that have no concern for them.

The screen is small but I had no trouble using it in it's mount in three diffrent vehicles, in heavy traffic. It will beep at you well in advance of turns, and then again just before the turn. I am over 6' tall, my seat in the Wrangler is pretty far back and I can follow the moving map at night with the back light on.

Like I said, inputting addresses requires using two buttons so I stop the vehicle before I input an address I am looking for if I am driving.

I hope it works out for you! I really like mine.

PM sent.

senecaripple

Flashlight Enthusiast
enjoy it! just avoid staring at the screen while you're driving. love staring at the longitude, latitude, street names that never knew their names.

Darkcobra

Enlightened
I've mountained biked with mines mounted on the handle bars, left it in the car in 100+ degree wether recently with no ill effects. Only protection I did put on was a PDA screen protector to keep the display looking nice for a long time.... The 60CS will beep when new instructions pop up and will give you a time/distance count down on when the next turn will occur. The 60 feels very robust in my hands and feels like a "tank".

matt_j

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Spudman said:

Weaponlight-I ordered the update cd from Garmin. They send it out for free, but if you don't qualify for a free update (which I do) I think it is $75 to update your software. Ouch!

[/ QUOTE ]

Amazon was lil pricey on the gps unit. I think it was 422 from office depot (one of the amazon merchants) and tax would have to be added so the deal was really horrible.

Weaponlight:
Im not trying to destroy my gps but Rinos that my group got ended up falling apart. The antena part just separated itself from the unit. Didnt say much about quality of manufaturing. Thing is that garmin kept sending us back the units in the same way we sent it to them. One even came back with glue leaking from inside. Finally they did a right thing and sent us new units. I think that part of the problem was that 5 units we bought were brand new just released items. I second you on lanyards. Lately that's all I've been using to secure my equipment. Cant wait to put this gizmo to work.

matt_j

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Spudman said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Amazon was lil pricey on the gps unit. I think it was 422 from office depot (one of the amazon merchants) and tax would have to be added so the deal was really horrible.

Weaponlight:
Im not trying to destroy my gps but Rinos that my group got ended up falling apart. The antena part just separated itself from the unit. Didnt say much about quality of manufaturing. Thing is that garmin kept sending us back the units in the same way we sent it to them. One even came back with glue leaking from inside. Finally they did a right thing and sent us new units. I think that part of the problem was that 5 units we bought were brand new just released items. I second you on lanyards. Lately that's all I've been using to secure my equipment. Cant wait to put this gizmo to work.

Spudman

Enlightened
The first time I tried to buy from Amazon it pushed me through to Office depot too. I checked back a few days later for a better price. I guess if Amazon doesn't have stock they go to an associate. You still got a pretty good price.

weaponlight

Newly Enlightened
Matt, I hope you don't think I was dissing you! If so, I am sorry.

Also sorry to hear about Garmin's Customer service. They have been pretty good to me but it is always good to hear about how all are treated by a given company.

I do not have any experiance with the Rhino. I use Motorola GMRS radios for camping and such. The 60 CS was my first hand held GPS, so I asked many people who owned both Magellan and Garmin GPS units questions as well as going on the net and pestering the Garmin rep on the phone before I bought it.

Let me know if you want that clip, I will drop it in the mail free asap. I dont want your nice new 60 CS getting broken after I talked you into buying it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

03lab

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Amazone's price should have been $343.94

Since you already have a Garmin Rhino, adding a GPS receiver for your PDA is a pretty good idea too, IMHO.