GPS units

matt_j

Enlightened
weaponlight... no ofense taken... as a matter of fact sometimes Im on the mission to work my gadgets over. as my friends say: gadget must be "matt proof" to get my seal of approval.

And thank you for the clip offer. PM sent. My dog is also mad at you since for the next few weeks he will be on generic brand food instead of Alpo. But on the other hand he is looking forward to all the hiking and trekking. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I dont know whats wrong with amazon. Lately I found that they farm out their website to everyone and I got burned few times when I ordered stuff from them just to find out that items will be shipped from a store 6 miles over. But in this case they didnt have the 60cs which is a pity since I like them as a merchant.

matt_j

Enlightened
So...

I got my 60cs and the map package... I decided to put it to good use last night and see how it works. I have to say wow. So far I only used it during the night so cant really comment on day visibility but directions were right on the money and screen was easy to read. I was screwing around with it and really wanted to see more what kind of routes it chooses and how fast it is than anything else. But than it acctually came useful. We got a new dispatcher that sent my unit about 8 assigned areas over and we really had no clue where we were going. So I punched in the addy and gps took over and directions were right on the dot. On the way back to the hosp I knew how to get there the long way but I punched it the hosp and was there in 7 min. So that's really cool. Now few questions to you guys:

Can you change map colors? I hate black maps and the only way I can really change it to look somewhat normal is when I turn the marine colors on.

How long does the AAs last on it?

What is the difference between v5 and v6 on the maps? Amazon sent me v5 and garmin will update them for me anyway but I'm just asking.

Otherwise thank you to all who recomeded the unit.

nethiker

Enlightened
Hey matt, glad you're enjoying your new gps. If the map looks black, it's probobly because it has a nightime feature that makes the map high contrast for easier reading in the dark. Mine changes automatically at sunset. You should be able to turn this off in the set-up menu. I havn't really kept track of the batteries. Depends on how much you use the backlight and electronic compass. They seem to keep going and going....

Greg

Spudman

Enlightened
Hey guys,

My 60cs got it's first test this weekend too. I went to Nashville to visit family. My mother bought a new house in an area of town I didn't know. I used the map software to input all my family and friends as waypoints, and made a route from my house to my mother's. Everything worked as it should. I found it worked best for me to just input the waypoint and let it find a route. This way, if I went a different way or missed a turn it would simply re-route me instead of direct me back to my route.

Last night was the first time I noticed the night feature. I have the car kit so I used the backlight function. We ate supper downtown and I entered the waypoint for the restaurant before leaving. Then, to go home we put in the home waypoint and started driving and the 60cs gave us our directions back.

I had no problems with the version 5 maps, although I will upgrade if Garmin let's me without the charge.

I am very happy with this unit and can't wait to learn how to use it better.

Gary /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Darkcobra

Enlightened
I just got back from a weeks vacation to Southern California. I'm using Kirkland brand batteries and they are still going strong after 23+ hours of use. I found using the 12v power cable to be annoying....

weaponlight

Newly Enlightened
Matt,

Just got back from several days playing with the bad kids in the sandbox. The (2) clips are on the way! Please apoligize to your dog for me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Glad you like the 60CS! The display automaticly changes at dusk and dawn. To change the display colors go to the main menu page and click on the display setup icon. There are about 10 different colors and you can adjust the backlight time out. Also check out the tones setup, lots of cool beeps and chirps etc.

If you are using it in the ambulance, I would definitely go to the Routing setup icon and select 'Follow Road', 'Faster time', next turn pop up 'On.' then go to Follow road options and select 'Best route', 'Emergency', and whatever you want under avoid. Glad it works for you in the ambulance without the external antenna! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I use Energizer 2300 mAh NIMH rechargeables charged in an Energizer model CHM4FC universal 5 hour charger (My unit adopted the batteries and charger I researched and uses them here too.) There are 2500 mAh batteries available now.

Anyway, if you use rechargeables, go to the main menu again and click on the system setup icon. once there select NIMH under battery type.

If you are not using the compass and altimeter, turn them off because they will drain the batteries faster. Running the backlight alot on just battery power will drain them too. To turn off the compass and altimeter on and off, press the page button until you get to the correct page, then press and hold the same 'page' button untill the compass/altimeter is turned off/on.

By treating the batteries right (run them most of the way down before recharging and remove from charger as soon as they are charged) and using the GPS with the compass/altimeter/WAAS off, my 60 CS has run for about 50 hours on 1 set of rechargeables. If you turn the unit off when not in use the batts will run a long time.

I use the external power in the Jeep and set the backlight on its longest setting at night. Of course in the Jeep the 60CS is happiest set on 'OFF ROAD' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You will not notice much difference between the versions of city select. The new version has updated roads and places of interest such as resturaunts, gas, etc.

This was kind of long winded but I hope it helps. I learned most of this stuff by playing with my 60CS and now I get tasked to teach the other soldiers how to use the other 5 60CS's the unit bought after the Commander saw mine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

matt_j

Enlightened
Thanks mate for the info. I just screw around with the unit now. More of the trail and error backed up by manual thing. I worked out the color issue, map version issue and batteries life time are satsfactory. I'm going kayaking this weekend so I will see how it behaves on both highway travel and river.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
While I'm here among the GPS pros...gotta ask "one of those questions"! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just as newer computers are coming without 3.5" floppy drives, seems the DB9/RS-232 serial ports are migrating away from the front of the CPU, leaving the USB, Firewire, & multi-media card ports on the front.

I of course have USB ports on the front of my CPU. I can plug my GPS's DB9/RS-232 data cable into the back (sort of a hassle), but am wondering about RS-232 to USB adapters. I've seen them on Ebay for about $7. The fellow at one of the local stores told me, "Oh you need software, your computer just won't recognize one of those inexpensive ones." LISTEN, Sportsman's Warehouse has a "Garmin" RS-232 to USB adapter cable for -----> $62.00 !!!!!! ROTFLMAO!!!!

Ok, so am I going to have any problems plugging in my GPS's DB9/RS-232 into an adapter and then straight into the front USB port of my CPU?

matt_j

Enlightened
Sigman,

I had the same thing with my rino 120 and it did get recognized by using usb adapter... map software just switched to a different port. I was using one of those free connectors that came with my fathers two way radios (serial to usb). As long as the software is windows based and not dos based it should be fine. So far I'm very unsuccesful trying to get my radio software (dos based) going using usb. Plus for $7 I'm willing to try it.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Thanks matt...adapter ordered - actually cost $12 with shipping, far from the $62 "they" wanted! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

matt_j

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
weaponlight said:
Kayaking, with water and green trees all around? Sounds heavenly. Let us know 60 performs on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well here's a take. Loaded up all the maps on friday morning, packed up and prepared. SInce this time I was taking women and children I had to double check everything and go over it a thrid time just in case. It was few people first trip so I needed to make sure it is all good.

But GPS:
On the road: great placment and positioning but taking a lower level of the bridge caused it to loose signal. Heavy tree cover during country drive caused to loose signal. Retarded route picking no way to avoid things. There was a bridge closed until 8 am and we couldn't get thru so I went as detour was shown. GPS kept prompting me to make a u-turn at every possible exit and than it switched to a different route. Otherwise not much complains on the road. But this is also where 56 megs of storage became a problem. While there I found out about a small house for sale. I was looking to buy something around woods, water and skiing places no further than 3-4 hrs from NYC. I guess it had to belong to a different quadrant since gps couldnt find the town. It would have been nice if there was more memory in there.

On the river: Excellent recpetion on the water with accuracy to 9 feet. Pretty much everything worked just fine except while in the woods. Again the tree cover made it little unstable while moving. When you stopped everything worked out just fine. I had it strapped to my life vest and one of the girls used it as a floatation device when I was cooking. After swimming with it for an hour I calmly walked over to her and removed my camera and my gps from her pocket. Score is: Garmin 1 and Panasonic 0. My friends Magellan gps took a one minute dunk and is dead so bravo for Garmin.

Also something that surprised me: Inova 24/7 waterproof light was not so waterproof. Well the battery compartment is sort of waterproof. It keep the water in and prevent from leaking out quite good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Things I want for my gps system:
1) Screen protector
2) Neoprene soft tight fiting case
3) External antena
4) Clip it system ( well I had those custom made comming from Iraq /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif:):) )

It is a good unit and I wont complain much. For the money it works just fine. Plus it was really cool trying to explain all the nature to two kids and my Barbie girlfriend + friends. And of course questions like these never get old: so tomorrow we go up river? where are the toilets? what you mean there are no showers? what you need a fire for? are we there yet? will bears eat us? what is jackalope? what is trouser snake? you gonna eat that? why are you boiling water from the river? can I borrow your ________ ?(fill blank with knife, flashlight, fork, mug, lighter, etc, etc), can you go to the store and pick up more marshmellows? Is this poison ivy? (holding poison ivy in his hand). I usually keep my group to the minimum and only my seasoned friends are going and we usually bring so little that when the see my name on the reservation sheet instead of transport bus they send only a pick up with a trailer. This time I had so much stuff that I was ashamed. I need to have another detoxifing trip soon.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Hey Matt...thanks for sharing that little synopsis with us! Loved those "never get old" questions! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Spudman

Enlightened
I got the mapsource update today. It is a dvd-version 7. I went through the install and it says I am not eligible for the free update. I called Garmin support and the wait is 30-35 minutes. I hate to complain but I really think that according to their website I should get the update for free instead of $75.

We'll see...

Spudman

Enlightened
Well, after waiting on hold for 30 minutes I talked to a customer support guy who was very helpful. He said I did qualify for the upgrade, then put me on hold for a couple of minutes. He came back and said there was a database problem that was affecting more than just me, but that it would be Monday before it was fixed. He also said Mondays and Fridays are the longest wait times for customer support.

So, I will get the latest update for free and I don't have anything bad to report about Garmin's support other than the long Friday wait time.

Gary

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Wow,
I'm glad I caught this thread. I read the post then went straight to Garmin.com. I just ordered the 7.0 update and hope to see it in a couple of weeks.

I have the Garmin M5. I've used it since March or April and love it. The full-blown PDA functions with the Microsoft OS have worked great and I have no complaints about the any part of the GPS. It also contains Mobile Office. The way the GPS and PDA integrate is slick. One of the neatest things is you can go to your Outlook contacts and choose an address and it will make the directions on the GPS screen. It came with a car kit, which is where it gets most of its use. The auto tracking function when it loses the signal has worked very well. The only time I've lost the signal though was in a tunnel, a couple of times in downtown New Orleans and 2-3 times running down the highway. The only negative I've found is IMO it would not be rugged enough for everyday backpacking or hiking. I do neither so it's been perfect. It plays MP3's as well as some other stuff that I've never used. It has bluetooth but I am using USB. I have a 1gb SD card installed and I have North Carolina Back to Texas installed. That took up 364mb. If I travel elsewhere I will add the maps before leaving.

Now here's the best part, drum role please...

I bought it for my wife as an anniversary gift. Alright, she saw right through that smokescreen but she uses it quite a bit herself.

BlueGerbil

Newly Enlightened
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In Antwort auf:</font><hr />
matt_j said:
I drive Jeep Cherokee Sport 2000 and work in bad neighbourhood so units have to be detachable (no DVD/GPS combos). I also want to take this unit on the ambulance if I work in unfamiliar territory.

[/ QUOTE ]

I´ve got an XJ, too. I use the Garmin GPSMap 276c and I´m quite happy with it. I´ve mounted it on top of my dashboard and can take it out when necessary.