Gruesome Walking Dead Zombie Merge Horror. Which flashlight would you EDC?

jrandom

Newly Enlightened
Re: A new twist - show us your zombie lights collection and explain why you chose the

O.K....time for some real Zombie Light (and other stuff :devil:) pics...

1) Surefire Scout Light mounted on a Double Star AR. = See #4
2) SF618FA Mounted on a Remington 870 Marine Magnum = See #4
3) Insight Tech M4 mounted on a S&W .40 SGVE = See #4
4) M3LT-S = Combat Light for when things heat-up
5) M6 w/ Nail Bender Tower = Rescue/Search Light
6) Kroma Milspec = Covert Ops (Supply Runs, etc.)
7) E2L-AA = GP Light
8) 5th gen L1-Rd = Covert ops light Back-up
9) 5th gen L1-Wh = GP Light Back-up
10) AZ2 = Combat Light back-up

Sweeet Solar goodness :thumbsup:

Darvis

Enlightened
Re: A new twist - show us your zombie lights collection and explain why you chose the

So, speaking of solar goodness... I've been on the quest for a cheap, solar, DIY zombie light...

I don't know why, of late, I've been enamored with food storage containers, but I always thought they would make a cool platform for a Zombie style light:

vy8dts.jpg

Now I realize this borders on belonging in the homemade/modified lights section, but it is a complete light and this is not a "how I built it post." this is an actual working zombie light.

Bordering on over the top, the container houses a rechargeable AA battery that gets a constant trickle charge from the 4v (90mah) solar panel on top. There is a master on off switch on the left that enables one to power the joule thief circuit.

2i2057m.jpg

The switch on the right (A/B with center off) controls the feed to either the built in LED lamp on the top of the box, or a remote port on the side that can power another LED light or even charge something else. I used a standard 1/8 stereo jack for this purpose.

152hnhd.jpg

There was an interesting (and unintentional) side effect to using the clear container for the build, it turned the little JT light into not only a great ceiling bounce light, but just a great little camping lamp since the whole container glows and puts out some really usable light...

33tkoqd.jpg

This can't compete with pak light runtimes by a long shot, but it will run as long as any other JT out there, and with the solar trickle charger built in (solar panel is glued on with silicone, BTW) will recharge in sunlight.

:)

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic

Darvis- super cool! I love the self-contained rechargable idea... Given some time each day in the sun, I'll bet it would run nights until the cell wore out. :) Paklite at 672+hrs. and still going strong, no change in brightness. Tomorrow at 10pm EST will cross the 700 hour threshold.

jrandom

Newly Enlightened

So, speaking of solar goodness... I've been on the quest for a cheap, solar, DIY zombie light...

I don't know why, of late, I've been enamored with food storage containers, but I always thought they would make a cool platform for a Zombie style light:

Haha, way cool, charge-by-day-light-by-night ;)

Darvis

Enlightened

Thanks!

Awesome set-up Darvis...every time I see stuff like that, I get in my tinkering mood...which could be bad...

I think we could mount it on an AR, but I'm not sure it's recoil ready.. :)

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is so cool, Darvis! Your creativity coupled with your technical knowledge produces the coolest stuff. 137 posts and counting - come on folks, keep 'em coming. Scout's Pak Lite test encouraged me to pick up a couple of those, then I gave them away to family members who live in the tornado prone areas...gotta order 2 or 3 more of those little gems, too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

scout24

Flashaholic

Almost 700 hrs on the paklite low mode runtime test, and in case anyone thinks it's down to moonlight mode or something, here's a pic from 10 feet away down my hallway, looking at a stack of my wife's paperbacks... :) Sorry about the fuzziness, camera was 8 seconds exposure, leaning up against the wall for support. Inage is fairly accurate to what the eye sees, brightness wise.

P1020064.jpg

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast

A few single-cell lights I've yet to acquire, but I would use a thrower and the best I have currently is a TK50. It would help me get to my destination which certainly wouldn't be tromping in the woods. Best scenario would be get a group together and go fortify one of those docked navy ships. Plenty of room, supply space, sick bay, kitchen. Let the zombies try to scale a ship's hull. keep a small speedboat handy to make land on another area where they aren't congregated to scrounge for supplies. Put your solar chargers on the deck. :)

Last edited:

rockingthe2

Newly Enlightened

A few single-cell lights I've yet to acquire, but I would use a thrower and the best I have currently is a TK50. It would help me get to my destination which certainly wouldn't be tromping in the woods. Best scenario would be get a group together and go fortify one of those docked navy ships. Plenty of room, supply space, sick bay, kitchen. Let the zombies try to scale a ship's hull. keep a small speedboat handy to make land on another area where they aren't congregated to scrounge for supplies. Put your solar chargers on the deck. :)

Get a Carrier, Power for a little longer than most and the flight deck makes for a great farm.

scout24

Flashaholic

816 hours straight on the out-of-the-box Duracell 9v for the paklite... Still chugging along.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast

I repeat myself I know, but how cool would it be to have one or two of those Pak-Lites stashed away without a battery. Weighing nearly nothing, taking up almost no space. With 800+ hours out of a fresh Duracell 9v I'm pretty confident that it could run on a cheap and nearly used up 9v with plenty of run time in which to find a new battery, worst typical scenario.

Pak-lite would make a good pairing with a Photon Freedom for an ultralight budget backup.

fyrstormer

Banned

Well, thanks to you people, now I own a glow-in-the-dark Pak-Lite. :devil: Nice little thing; it's about as bright as a Photon 2, but connected to a MUCH larger battery. Kinda wish I could swap some better LEDs than the Nichia GS' in it currently, but it's a post-apocalypse light anyway, and I should worry about more important things.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast

How many lumens would you estimate the Pak-Lite puts out on low and high?

fyrstormer

Banned

Maybe 20 lumens on high, mostly focused in two spots in front of the light. Low is probably half to a third as much.

scout24

Flashaholic

903 hours on low for the pak-lite as of 9am EST this morning...

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Maybe 20 lumens on high, mostly focused in two spots in front of the light. Low is probably half to a third as much.

Good estimate. fyrstormer. "Light Meter Eyes"...:) I don't know how accurate my sphere is with this type configuration, but I measure less than 1 lumen on low, and 14.7 lumen on high.

903 hours on low for the pak-lite as of 9am EST this morning...

Incredible. :thumbsup:

scout24

Flashaholic

Well, the 1000 hour mark came and went with little fanfare today at 1pm est, now at 1004 hours for the pak-lite on low. Running continuously since Feb. 9th... Right even with my Thrunite T10 on it's lowest setting. MORE than I like for midnight recon, I can still see clearly 20ft+ in the dark with it. I'll run it until it's done, and no way will I test a lithium 9v. Alkaline Duracell has impressed me enough, thank you. :)

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for doing that test scout24!
I got a pak-lite and a nv green photon freedom (thanks to subumbra's recommendations) ordered now.
Taking the battery off of the pak-lite and stashing it in a jacket pocket with the nv green photon freedom should provide the lightest and most minimal long term lighting solution yet imagined.
At a very minimum if EDC has been lost or exhausted somehow, the nv green photon supplies light needed to locate a 9v battery. The 9v battery obviously supplies a great deal of utility light run time. Regular EDC light provides every day low light needs without carrying a 9v battery around. Once the need for the pak-lite is apparent and a 9v battery is located, then the nv green Photon and EDC light can be saved for more critical uses.
Anyhow, only on a flashlight forum... ;-)