H6W Bulbs, GX brand?

mrb

Newly Enlightened
Is anyone familiar with "GX" branded bulbs? I have a failed 6W H6W sidelight which used such bulbs.

Got some vanilla GeneralElectric replacements but they don't seem as bright or "white" in colour. The glass(quartz?) of my remaining "GX" bulb is clear/transparent when not lit and takes on a slight blue-white colour with power applied.

(^ w5w Incan vs Halogen "GX" H6W, wired parallel)

I'd like to get a pair of bulbs that more closely match the output of the original "GX" bulbs if possible. Any advice appreciated! Thanks...:)

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is anyone familiar with "GX" branded bulbs? I have a failed 6W H6W sidelight which used such bulbs.
I'd like to get a pair of bulbs that more closely match the output of the original "GX" bulbs if possible. Any advice appreciated! Thanks...:)

The GX could be "Galaxy", an outfit that makes bulbs that fit in sockets and light up when voltage is applied. That's about all you can expect from them. They may look 'whiter' (except that white light is white, if white light looks 'whiter' than another white light it is probably heavy in the blue portion of the spectrum); one way to do that would be to use a filament rated slightly lower than the normal input voltage so it burns hotter, bluer, and much, much shorter. (It could also be using a halogen fill gas.)

In your pics, you're comparing a 6W halogen bulb with a 5W non-halogen bulb. To the eyes, and certainly to the camera, there will be a marked difference.

Replace both bulbs (as the still-working one may be not long behind) and use Osram or Narva or even off-the-shelf GE (so long as it's not 'Long Life') and be done with it.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Can't comment on GX, never heard of 'em. The bulb does bear an (E1) mark, which is relatively difficult to get unless one counterfeits it, in which case it's the easiest one to get. :roll:

I echo Alaric D's comment: why are we looking at a photo comparing an H6W (125 lumens) to a W5W (50 lumens)…so yeah, of course the H6W is going to look "whiter"!

mrb

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Guys for your replies.
Ok, found an additional H6W holder, so.... all 3 @13v (Polti w5w, GE H6w, "GX" H6w)

Difference is more noticeable in-person, but at least the above is "apples/apples";)

Just wondered if all halogen h6w bulbs should take on a blue-white envelope colour.