Have Emerson lost the plot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

strideredc

Enlightened
Re: Ernest Emerson has some explaining to do!

I have a real problem with them still advertising the titanium liners. This is totally unethical. People have a right to know they are not paying for titanium.

Also, it took them almost a year to start to tell only some people in the knife comunity.

I no longer trust Emerson. This is lying about the materials of your product.

I agree that if you ever posted this on USN, It would explode!

I will not buy anymore Emerson knives. I feel bad because I used to love them.

Very sneaky, I wonder if the people he deals with in the military community would like to know what he is doing? Just look what he is doing to people serving in the US armed forces, they are being ripped off.

This will go down bigger than what Mick Strider lied about.

Exactly, I would say this is false advertising… shame on you mr Emerson!:thumbsdow

I don't understand why anyone 'blindly' follows any company, doesn't make sense to me. I find it a bit sad

Which one of the strider lies are you talking about?:rolleyes:

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Ernest Emerson has some explaining to do!

Posted by Mr. Emerson on another forum:

Dear Members,

I'm going to make an announcement on our website this week but I felt I should let you know first. I have to change every description of every knifeand it will take me a couple of days.

Due to the rising cost of Titanium (It has tripled in price) we have switched to using a 300 series stainless steel liner on the detent side of our production knives. We are using it only on the detent, (top side) and not on the spring side, (liner lock) side. I have been considering using stainless steel for this side over the last year and we have done extensive testing and prototyping of the knives to satisfy our need to know that it would work correctly in use and maintain the integrity of our knives. As a result, we our totally satisfied with the performance of the steel for the detent side. Our first use was on the recent run of Karambits that we finished.

My custom knives will still feature the full titanium (both sides) liner construction.

I just wanted you to know first, since you are the most discerning customers with the most extensive knowledge of my knives.

Special runs and special edition knives will be identified by us as to whether or not they have full titanium liners.

My Best Regards,

Ernest R. Emerson

Hopefully that will help explain things better.

Spalding

Newly Enlightened
It bugs me when companies do what Emerson did. My Cottonelle toilet paper used to be a really good product. In the last few years it's gone from just regular toilet paper to double roll (and it's the same size as before), now to triple roll (and still the same size)and to top it all off it got thinner too - they cut down the width of the roll and it looks like it doesn't fit on the paper holder anymore. I've got a house full of stuff that's been cut down in size or quality to keep the package price the same as before.

Although I understand why Emerson made the change he did I, if I were him, would have simply mentioned it as the change took place (or before) and avoided this controversy, particularly amongst the folks here who really know, and are happy to pay for, the better materials. To have not said something looks sneaky.

Be glad he didn't send his manufacturing to China like so many others have.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm just going to say this was edited for my own reasons. Ernie makes good knives but I really think he needs to update his web site ads to be totally clear on what metal is being used in the liners. If you are expecting to get an expensive Titanium liner than you should get Titanium and not stainless steel. Simple as that.

Last edited:

strideredc

Enlightened
''Have Emerson lost the plot?'' I think that's a good bashing title, don't you? No editing needed.;)

On a serious note, I don't think anyone has said anything that isn't true. If something needs a bashing and no one is going over the top and no one is that I can see, then bash away.:poke:

What stilphoto has posted in my mind makes a worse case for Mr emerson imho…

Dear Members,

I'm going to make an announcement on our website this week but I felt I should let you know first. I have to change every description of every knife and it will take me a couple of days. When was this?
05-13-2007, 05:13 AM nothing has changed????? thats getting on for 8 months

Due to the rising cost of Titanium (It has tripled in price) we have switched to using a 300 series stainless steel liner on the detent side of our production knives. We are using it only on the detent, (top side) and not on the spring side, (liner lock) side. I have been considering using stainless steel for this side over the last year and we have done extensive testing and prototyping of the knives to satisfy our need to know that it would work correctly in use and maintain the integrity of our knives. As a result, we our totally satisfied with the performance of the steel for the detent side. Our first use was on the recent run of Karambits that we finished.

My custom knives will still feature the full titanium (both sides) liner construction. Good enough for custom but not the standard?

I just wanted you to know first, since you are the most discerning customers with the most extensive knowledge of my knives. Are all the other customers stupid, un-discerning and dont deserve to know?

Special runs and special edition knives will be identified by us as to whether or not they have full titanium liners.

My Best Regards,

Ernest R.Emerson

The fact that the website hasn't been changed in this timeframe is realy bad whatever and however ANYONE looks at it!

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
Re: I think is is over for EKI as we know it!

If it was not over for Emereon he would not have to start making the guitars, and the picks. All crap!

Also, he lied!

ok we get it, you hate Mick, and now you dont like Ernie either, apparently you feel *compelled* to let us know when any good knife maker makes a mistake. thanks. now, i dont suppose that you have EVER made a mistake?

Last edited:

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D

ok we get it, you hate Mick, and now you dont like Ernie either, apparently you feel *compelled* to let us know when any good knife maker makes a mistake. thanks. now, i dont suppose that you have EVER made a mistake?

No, you are wrong. I own, carry and enjoy knives from both makers. The problem I have is how they lie. Mick has told lies about military service and Emerson needs to clean up his act with his advertising.

Mr. Oak, if I may, is telling a lie a mistake?

Last edited:

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast

Last I checked, this thread had nothing to do with Mick, and should stay that way.

Just speaking for myself here, but I for one don't know that life would have changed much had my liner ended up being SS over Ti.

As far as his venture into guitars goes - So what, he has another hobby. I'm pretty sure the guitar business is not being built up to be a major profit center. It's a ground level entry, just like when he started with knives.

At the end of the day, if someone has a problem with the ethics of a company, then simple - don't support / carry it. If you still want to carry it, then come to terms with it.

Spalding

Newly Enlightened
Well,I just looked at the Emerson website and it says liners are titanium but they're not. All you have to do is call the website guy and it gets changed and you can get on with business, or guitar picks, or whatever.

I'll give you an example of how simple it is to change a website. One day I was looking at the Buck website and I noticed that it said their Strider knives were designed by Mick Strider and went on to say he had extensive special/black/secret ops experience. Knowing that to be a bold faced lie and complete fabrication by Mick Strider himself I called Buck to tell them. They removed the Strider fabrication within a day! The guy was astonished to hear the truth about Mick!

If I were Emerson I'd switch to stainless liners in the base series and offer a full titanium liner in a "new" premium series for which I'd charge a premium. That might satisfy both the enthusiasts (us) and also the more casual knife user who is concerned with a certain price point.

strideredc

Enlightened
''Just speaking for myself here, but I for one don't know that life would have changed much had my liner ended up being SS over Ti.''

I will sell you my Rolex seadweller for $6k if you want, but I will take out the movement and put a perfectly good (if not better) Seiko movement. Sounds like a deal??? Not to me it doesn't, if I was you!

I am sure the SS is just a strong ect ect… as the TI but its FALSE ADVERTISING if this was Ford, Mc Donald's or any BIG company lawyers would be all over them!

I have nothing personal against the man I am sure he's a stand up guy but this is WRONG. Lets not forget this is a business no one is doing anything out of the kindness of there heart!

I can't and really don't believe that someone would buy a premium product for lets not forget a premium price! And then find out that it's not what was sold to you! And not be bothered.

I find it funny about all the 'mistakes' or 'lies' told in the knife industry! All of these companies or individuals are trying to sell an idea or dream, no different form the lies the big company's tell us… its all about making money…

By the way I have no problem if this thread deviates slightly for the said topic! (I can't speak for the owner or the mod's though)

This is a forum, so let's discuss……………….when did people get so prickly????

Last edited:

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Emerson has his editorial/manifesto area on his site. He has some strong opinions - of which I agree.

Here is what I wonder about: all of the soldiers and police who use Emerson knives and paid for the knife thinking they had titanium in a certain part in the product. Why are these people being cheated?

I am sorry, as much as I love Emerson, they are selling a product that has different materials from what they advertise. This is a product that the people who purchase it, want to know what each part is made of.

A simple change to the website will fix everything.

Also, the gutiar thing is silly, I asked my advisors today if I should start making them. They told me NO! Stick with what you do.

Last edited:

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems like an honest mistake. Still, it was a mistake

Last edited:

greenstuffs

Banned

What mick did does not have a name and what ernie did was a honest mistake which by benefits him by coincidence. I don't see him advertising SS liners while the knife come with Ti liners. :sssh: Is not like people don't deserve a 2nd chance but once you lose your trust and integrity you will never be the same.
I bet nobody will care whether the knife has full Ti liners or not just like people don't care that McDonalds patties are not 100% beef.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast

Last edited:

strideredc

Enlightened
A mistake is something you would correct in a SHORT amount of time, like a few days/weeks at the most!

This is not a sticker on the back of his car! This is his website, his businesses portal to the WORLD and it's not like he hasn't been told either!!!

Given the timeframe and the fact he has been told multiple times, that's no mistake. Come on?:thumbsdow

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
A mistake is something you would correct in a SHORT amount of time, like a few days/weeks at the most!

This is not a sticker on the back of his car! This is his website, his businesses portal to the WORLD and it's not like he hasn't been told either!!!

Given the timeframe and the fact he has been told multiple times, that's no mistake. Come on?:thumbsdow

I agree, he does not seem to be willing to change it, so I will not buy knives from them in the future. That new A100 looks nice, but I just will not buy it. This is no mistake, not after the amount of time that has passed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.