Have Emerson lost the plot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
What's the difference in price between one side of a liner in SS vs Ti?

Art, that is a very good question. However regardless of price people are entitled to know the exact metals in the knife whatever they may be, and not be subjected to false advertising of the product.

This is bad for EKI

Last edited:

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have the liners been tested as far as which material they're made of? Shy of being told that the switch had taken place, do we know that it actually happened? Figured that was just another base to cover.

strideredc

Enlightened
Have the liners been tested as far as which material they're made of? Shy of being told that the switch had taken place, do we know that it actually happened? Figured that was just another base to cover.

I had a Super Commander made in 2007. Took it for camping and for 3 days it was exposed to the elements. I thought nothing of it until I returned home and found slight rusting on one side of the liner. Couldn't understand it as at the time of purchase I thought as always that it was Ti.

Turns out SS if exposed to the elements could rust after all. I've mostly cleaned it up with some WD40 as I stripped it apart but yes it was disappointing to me that no where was my Super Commander listed as having SS. Not terribly upset but definitely not satisfying.

telkin had this bad exp. on a 2007 knife:shakehead

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a Super Commander made in 2007. Took it for camping and for 3 days it was exposed to the elements. I thought nothing of it until I returned home and found slight rusting on one side of the liner. Couldn't understand it as at the time of purchase I thought as always that it was Ti.

Turns out SS if exposed to the elements could rust after all. I've mostly cleaned it up with some WD40 as I stripped it apart but yes it was disappointing to me that no where was my Super Commander listed as having SS. Not terribly upset but definitely not satisfying.

telkin had this bad exp. on a 2007 knife:shakehead

If this happend to a knife that was purchaced in 2007, the customer was under the impression he had titanium in that part of the knife. Well, it looks like he did not after all.

This is nothing short of cheating a customer, very unethical business practice. Emerson Knives has some real explaining to do and they need to do something for all the people that bought a knife under the idea they actually had titanium.

This is absolutely unbelievable! Emerson needs to apologize to the people who have supported him over the years. Shame on EKI.

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Red, you live in SoCal, why don't you drop by and ask them in person? They can't hide behind emails and voicemail when face to face. Would get you some sort of answer, whether it be a solution or more to feed the fire.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
The practical differences, the SS may encounter corrosion issues while the Ti will not. Strength wise, I feel a 300/303 series SS would be the stronger when used in a typical liner or frame lock type build. Given knife use, either is sufficient that most users will not encounter the limits of either metal.

Cost, I dunno what 303 SS is, the SS is economical compared to Ti which is about $35-40 a pound.

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
I still love my Emerson with 2 Ti liners :)

I think Mr. Emerson is going about this the wrong way... He should change the info on his website, lower the prices by $10 and add a new section to his site where his customers can order 'custom Ti replacement liners' so they can make their Ti/SS lined knife a Ti/Ti lined knife.
Or simply give his customers the option to buy a cheaper Ti/SS knife or pay a little extra for a full Ti.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ernie is not a guy who would screw you...
Meet him at a show, talk to him. Very down to earth man, I'm sure they'll get to the site soon enough

milox

Newly Enlightened
FAQ section on EKI website writes why they use TI and SS liners

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
That FAQ has been recently changed. Very recently. I looked at it less than a week ago and it didn't have that section.

Yes, however, the section where the knife specs. are now say that the lock is Ti. there is no mention of the steel on the opposite side. People are going to think both sides are Ti. since there is no mention of steel.

I guess they are going to keep lying to customers. I find this very misleading and sneaky.

Makes me wonder if they even make the knives in the USA anymore. If a $5.00 liner is a good cost cutting method, just imagine how much more he could profit by having everything made in China.

I no longer trust Mr. Emerson

Last edited:

Spalding

Newly Enlightened
Well, I sincerely hope the free market punishes him in a manner matching the enormity of his crimes...This whole "tactical" knife thing is getting goofy - first that Strider nonsense then this. What's with these knife manufacturers? See why I stick with Spyderco?

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I sincerely hope the free market punishes him in a manner matching the enormity of his crimes...This whole "tactical" knife thing is getting goofy - first that Strider nonsense then this. What's with these knife manufacturers? See why I stick with Spyderco?

You know Spalding, I agree with you. The other possibility is that he is trying to sell the company, and wants to fix up the books to show a better profit margin.

For a guy that waves the flag in his manifestos on his web site he is the exact opposite in this matter. He is lying and trying to fool his customers with this lock thing.

After this, and what Mick Strider has pulled, I have little faith in the knife community. If you think about it, how do we really know what any materials are made of, and if they are made in China?

Remember...he is cheating the heroes who serve America!

Last edited:

Steel85

Newly Enlightened
I don't trust anybody that puts a Chisel grind on their knives. It does't cut well at all! I had one it didn't work so I gave it away. Flat Grinds and Convex Grinds Cut MUCH BETTER!

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's what the FAQ says:

Why do you use stainless steel on one liner and titanium on the other liner?

We use Aerospace grade titanium on the spring/lock side liner. Titanium is the perfect material for that function and has all of the properties needed to perform the duties of a strong reliable locking liner system. The opposite side (non-lock side) is crafted from a 300 series stainless steel. This side of the knife functions as a handle frame stiffener and has a minimal mechanical function. The stainless steel is truly stainless. It will not rust and does not affect the overall performance, wear, or durability of the knife in any negative way.

http://www.emersonknives.com/SpecialAnnouncement_Index.html

Not sure what the confusion is. The listing for the CQC-15 model lists the liners as Ti. All the other folders I looked at either show the "lock" as Ti or don't list anything in regards to the liners.

I don't think it's some huge conspiracy, just an oversight with a company that doesn't put a lot of focus on their website.

-dan

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good point Dano. There are many companies that just don't focus on their website / don't update at all.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Focus? You call your Webmaster, and have them make the update. Very easy.

You realize they did update the site, and they are trying to fool people with this lock thing.

This has something to do with manufacturing, and working with titanium.
I would like to know from Emerson if they have moved some of the production of their parts to China or Mexico like so many other companies.

Steel is easy to work with compared to titanium.

This would increase profits, and make the company look more profitable to a prospective buyer.

They do not want to list the steel for a reason. This is bad business.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's plainly now listed that the lock side is Ti, the FAQ addresses the opposite liner...what's the issue?

Ti prices have increased substantially, mainly due to Russia and China buying huge quanities.

I think people want to see a conspiracy where one does not exist.

-dan

Status
Not open for further replies.