HDS Basic or Ultimate 42?

DanMan4142

Newly Enlightened
I know this question has been asked before, and I have read all of the old threads but I just cant make up my mind. Right now I am leaning towards the Basic, as I do not think that I would use the button lock, tactical mode, auto off or any of that. Really the main features that I would use if I had the ultimate would be the setting that brings the light on to its last used brightness, and perhaps I would change the brightless levels around but I am not even sure if I would do that. I am a college student and money is tight, so I prefer the price of the basic. I am wanting this light to fill in between my surefire G2 and my peak matterhorn, giving me a long running primary use light for camping, hunting and EDC at night. Let me know what you guys think, is it really worth it for the ultimate if I am not even sure I will use the features?

Dan

goldenlight

Enlightened
I bought a Basic 60 first, and then decided to get an Ultimate 42. Best decision I ever made. You are aware of the huge number of features available on the Ultimate compared to the Basic.

I've changed the 3 levels below maximum to suit my needs, and I think the button lock is a fantastic feature.

I was able to compare my Basic 60 to an Ultimate 42 side by side, and there isn't a significant difference in brighness, at least IMHO. (not enogh to justify the price difference, anyway.)

Get the Ultimate 42; you won't regret it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

LowWorm

Enlightened
I, too, think the Ultimate is worth the $30 price difference - I love my U60 because I can tweak the light levels. That alone assures me that I will never outgrow my light's usefulness because it can change with my needs.

Plus the locator beacon comes in really handy when camping, and the last-level-on is indispensable as far as convenience goes.

If you can scrape the extra $30, you won't be disappointed with the flexibility in options that money will buy you.

Luxman

Enlightened
I 2nd LowWorm's comments...

With 4 programmable light levels, its very nice to be able to adapt the light to your particular situation.
For example, my low setting is set to the lowest intensity to preserve my night vision...

DanMan4142

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input so far.
I guess maybe a more specific question I have is whether or not you consider the 10 lumen "primary" setting to be bright enough for most uses or not. That is probably my biggest concern with the basic, that the primary setting may not be high enough and that I would prefer it set closer to 20 or 25 lumens, but I dont not really know as I have never handled one of these lights.

Dan

mpetty

Newly Enlightened
I find that the 10 lumen setting is quite usefull in most circumstances, and full brightness is just a press away. I think that you will love the light whichever way you decide to go.

Mike

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll go against the trend and vote for the Basic. 4 useful levels, and the price is right. The 10 lumen primary is just fine for most everything. Crank it up above that and your runtime suffers. Bells and whistles are fun, but you're never going to use an SOS function anyway, right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm content with my Basic 60.

best regards

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had exactly the same dilemma. I went with the Basic 42. I have no regrets.

I was afraid the 10 lumen primary wouldn't be useful enough. Now that I own the B42, I can tell you it is not as bright as my Arc LSH Standard. All that said, the 10 lumen primary is plenty bright for all of my stumbling around the house at night. As an added bonus, it feels like a CR123 lasts forever at that setting. I think the Duracells are rated for over eight hours.

After receiving it, I thought it might be nice to have the option to disable "force primary". That's the setting that makes it always turn on at primary level (not at whatever level you had last). After living with it for a couple weeks, I've decided it's a non-issue. I find I often turn it on with the lens pressed against the palm of my hand, then double or triple click to turn it down to a lower setting. It's actually kinda nice to know where it's going to be when it turns on, without having to try to remember where I left it last.

I can't think of any of the other features that I would actually use on anything approaching a regular basis. For me, I'm happy with my decision to go Basic. I ended up spending the money I saved on a belt holster and some rechargeable cells.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the light, regardless of which model you choose. It's a very good light.

sbebenelli

Enlightened
I also have the Basic 42 and wouldn't change if I did it over. I'm very happy with it. I use the 10 lumen setting 99% of the time. I can't think of a time when I thought I should have gotten the Ultimate. I also can't think of the time when I thought I should have gotten the 60 either. The problem is what I need or someone else need in a light can be different that what you need.

dtsoll

Enlightened
I agree with sbebenelli and the others, 10 lumens is a great setting for 90-95% of anything I do. I have a basic 42 and a U60XR. I like em both and don't regret getting either. I carry one or the other in a ripoffs CO-37. I actually think the 10 lumen setting is too bright for roaming the house at night, I use the lowest setting or .8 lumens for that! An HDS (B42 or U60XR)in the CO-37 and my Arc AAAv4 in my front pocket is all I need. Having said all that, you cannot go wrong whichever way you go! Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DanMan4142

Newly Enlightened
Ty
I like what you said about using the money you saved to purchase rechargeables and a holster. The more I think about it the better that idea sounds. Im still gonna think about it some more over the next few days before I order one though.

Dan

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I had a couple ARC 4+ units, 16 different levels - too much for this user!

I recently got the opportunity to trade (THANKS SIMBAD!! Still feel like I owe you!) for a HDS Basic 60 and I REALLY DO APPRECIATE IT! I've got to agree with all of those above who have posted comments on their "Basics"!!

goldenlight

Enlightened
I have my 'primary' set to 20 lumens; but I use my 'secondary' setting of 10 lumens more frequently; probably about 3 or 4 to 1 (10 lumens vs. 20 lumens). However, having the option of 20 lumens, just a double click away, makes the relatively small price difference worthwile for me.

Plus all the other features on the Ultimate, of course! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

turbodog

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
powernoodle said:
I'll go against the trend and vote for the Basic. 4 useful levels, and the price is right. The 10 lumen primary is just fine for most everything. Crank it up above that and your runtime suffers. Bells and whistles are fun, but you're never going to use an SOS function anyway, right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm content with my Basic 60.

best regards

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll agree with this, and also will add a few things.

1. Button lock, just loosen the battery pack 1/4 turn. Instant lockout.

2. If you're trying to save $, go with the basic 42. The battery will last much longer than any of the 60 versions. This is assuming you use maximum at least some. If you don't use max, then why are you buying this light?

3. There is very little difference between the throw of the 60 and the 42. I have had all of them and have compared them side by side.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought about the issue as well, and I went with the Basic. At first I thought "What if 10 lumens isn't bright enough? I'd like 20 on primary" but it turns out that all 4 light levels are so well chosen that I don't miss the added programmable functionality of the Ultimate. Also, I'd rather not have to remember the million-clicks programming sequence for the Ultimate series of lights, 4 levels is enough.. unless it's controlled by a rotary dial /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
DanMan4142 said:
I like what you said about using the money you saved to purchase rechargeables and a holster.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you only get one, buy the holster. You'll use it every day. I bought the rechargeables because it seemed like a really good price. Even still, I think it will be over a year before the rechargeables start to pay for themselves.

Honestly, it's rated to last such a long time at primary level, you'll get a lot of service out of a battery. When I carried my Arc LSH every day, it felt like I used it a fair amount. I still only used up a battery about once a month. That's only $15 a year in Surefire cells. The HDS should last at least twice as long, if you stick to primary most of the time.

After I got my rechargeables, I put in a fresh one and ran it on max for a while. I got bored of watching it after half an hour or so, and turned it off. I'm sure the cell still had a lot of juice in it.

Of course, your mileage may vary. I know some of the guys around here are cave dwellers by profession, and they need their light on eight hours a day. If that's you, then definately get the rechargeables. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DanMan4142

Newly Enlightened
Well I think I am going to go for the basic. Seems to fit my needs and it will save me a little bit of money. Now I just have to decided where to purchase from. I was going to order from batterystation for the 10 free batteries, but I just found out that HDS now ships their lights with the new pocket clips, and I dont know if batterystation has the new ones in stock yet or not. I emailed them to find out. In any case I should have a light on its way to me within the week, and I am sure that I will really enjoy it.
Dan

LowWorm

Enlightened
Well, the Basic is nothing to sneeze at, that's for sure...it's a fine light I think, regardless of the configuration.

Let us know how you like it and the new clip.

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dan,

Please let us know what the Battery Station says regarding the new clips. I plan on ordering one as well but was holding back because I also wanted the new clip.