• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

HDS EDC Rotary Pass Around

sgt253

Enlightened
"WOW!" This word is seldom uttered by me in relation to lights anymore. I have been privileged to own and to use many lights from mass produced manufacturers to semi-custom to custom makers for personal use and/or business use over the years. They have all served me well, but somehow they were just missing a feature or two that would allow them to fulfill the role as "the one". In my opinion, the HDS EDC Rotary is everything that one could possibly desire in a personally carried edc type light. The interface is absolutely fantastic! The ability to "dial in" the necessary amount of light while being able to instantly access the highest mode or a mode that has been preset to one's needs, for whatever may come, is perfectly engineered and executed. The low (moon mode) is quite low, the levels are very well spaced, the high (maximum) seems like more than enough to me. The one feature that has me really over the moon about it is the rotary function. A seemingly simple concept that is expertly executed is something to behold.
The EDC Rotary, like the EDC Executive, is very well crafted. The knurling is aggressive enough for a solid purchase on the light without being too harsh to hands and to clothing. The size fits my medium sized hands very well. The heft lets one know that the light will survive just about anything over the long term. The scalloped bezel accomplishes its task of notifying one if the light is on or off when placed bezel down.
The EDC Executive pass around was my first time experiencing an HDS light first hand. I was very well impressed by it for the reasons that I stated in its review. However, the HDS Rotary, for me, is the perfect edc light!

Last edited:

sgt253

Enlightened
Hogo,
There is really not one thing that I would change function wise. Aesthetics wise, I would order my own personal light with the high cri emitter and a black nitride bezel. Overall, I am really pleasantly surprised with the amount of engineering and attention to detail that an HDS light is crafted with. I have read almost every word about HDS in both current and previous forms. I will say that one has to experience the light in hand to gain a full appreciation for it. Job well done!

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you guys should go out in a limb and let folks in the UK, Germany, France have a play.... mmmm where else in Europe .... just take 1 light and let the little critter travel the world... well, Europe but not China...they have enough of our technology!
Pr wise I think it might generate more sales

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you guys should go out in a limb and let folks in the UK, Germany, France have a play.... mmmm where else in Europe .... just take 1 light and let the little critter travel the world... well, Europe but not China...they have enough of our technology!
Pr wise I think it might generate more sales

LOL! It's the shipping cost. It could be done though if there is enough interest. Maybe when this one wraps up.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS EDC Rotary Pass Around

Pass Around Rules:

1. You must post your interest here. Simply post "ME please!!" to be included.

2. You must PM me your name and address. (ignore my sigline)

3. You must have been on the forum for at least 1 year and have 100 posts.

4. When you ship the light, you must post here that it has been shipped and to whom (CPF name only) and when you receive the light, you must post here that you received it.

5. You agree to use the light, but not abuse the light (you are not me and don't get to shoot it). That is reserved for a special kind of crazy named Hogo.

6. Please post your comments, pictures, beam shots, and/or a review here. (Don't bother reviewing the emitter. It's... and it's skin is cold) It's an XPG emitter and the light is calibrated at 200 lumens. That emitter isn't even offered by HDS anymore so it's a moot point. I just took the Executive pass around head and reprogrammed it to be Rotary and calibrated it at 200.

7. Please limit your time with the light to no longer than 5 days, so everyone gets a chance.

8. You are responsible for shipping the light to the next person on the list. You will not ship the light with a battery! You will perform a "Factory Reset" on the light before shipping it and will include the package and manual.

9. You agree to cover the shipping costs to next on the list and it has to include $279 insurance with tracking. At this time, we will not have the light go international. Sorry.

10. Please PM the next person on the list for their shipping info.
This will help the progression of the pass-around, even though I will already have it.

11. I reserve the right to reorder the list.

12. Please reserve this for folks who have never gotten a chance to play with an HDS Rotary.

GO!

1. sgt253

2. A-MAC

3. badbs101

4. m
raymer

5. JoeRodge

6. lion504

7. bigburly992

Hogo can you send these ground rules to me via email so I can copy. Looks like I may be doing a Uk pass around.

A-MAC

Enlightened
Shipped to badbs101 today, it should be there Monday.

So, when I bought the Clicky pictures with the Rotary I labored over the decision for a long time. Eventually I decided on the Clicky due to price and pocket clip options between the two. The Clicky is a 325 with OP reflector for reference in the beam shots. The thing that was most noticeable is that when using the rotary control it steps through the different levels, as in, you can see it step to the next level. It's not a smooth transition. That's not bad or good, it was just the first thing I noticed. I can see the appeal of the Rotary for sure but for me, I'm glad I chose the Clicky.

A-MAC

Enlightened
Thank you for the post. Why are you glad you chose the Clicky?

I initially went with the Clicky because I didn't like the pocket clip options for the Rotary. Either you use a bulky (in my opinion) pocket clip that fits around the tail cap, or a clip-on pocket clip that fits around the body or you use a standard pocket clip that fits under the bezel forcing you to carry lens up. Having the Rotary in hand confirmed the above for me.

Also though, the Clicky is more like the other lights I frequently carry (BOSS 35 and McGizmo Haiku) both of which employ rear tail switches with momentary forward click ability. So, there is consistency in operation.

Furthermore, after thinking about it, being able to see it step though the brightness levels is weird. I might get used to it but I was expecting a smooth transition. I'm not sure where I got that idea, maybe I just didn't read enough about when I was buying.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
I honestly thought it would be a clear transition as well instead of seeing them change like a clicky. Not a dealbreaker for me but worth noting for sure. Thanks for the review!

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
Furthermore, after thinking about it, being able to see it step though the brightness levels is weird. I might get used to it but I was expecting a smooth transition. I'm not sure where I got that idea, maybe I just didn't read enough about when I was buying.

Thank you for the insights in to the Clicky.

Last edited:

badbs101

Newly Enlightened
Had the light a few days and my thoughts are as follows. (I use some Malkoff comparisons because I assume many people are familiar with his products.)

The light is smaller and lighter than I thought it would be. It's not light or small, just lighter and smaller than I thought it might be. It's very similar in size to my mdc with VME head. The VME head is wider but the MDC tail is narrower. The length is almost identical.

If I do decide to purchase one of these, it will definitely have the raised button option. I can't stand the flush switch, too hard for my stubby thumb to press. I have the same problem with the MDC. The range of light available is impressive and the high setting is quite punchy. More throw than a similar lumen Malkoff but still quite balanced. I don't know if testing this light has solved anything for me as I still wonder if I couldn't be served by an Executive model just as well. I guess I probably wouldn't want to spend that much without getting the "fancy" rotary model and I could see myself using the entire range of light it affords depending on the situation.

The lack of a decent clip option is a big bummer only because it can stop the light from rolling around. Perhaps some type of design change could negate the need for a clip to stop it from rolling. My guess is that it costs a lot more to machine a piece like that rather than keeping it all round.

Well built, of course, but the ano on the body vs the ano on the head is slightly mismatched if viewed in the right light. Not a deal breaker for me. I'm guessing this slight "mismatch" varies from batch to batch.

Overall a thumbs up and the light is still on my shortlist (only two lights currently on the list: Surefire DBR and HDS Rotary) of lights to get. I'm leaning towards the high-noon tint option because I want a tint with some punch that still delivers respectable CRI numbers. I change my mind every time I go to the HDS website. :)

Last edited: