• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

HDS EDC Rotary Pass Around

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes. Thank you for the opportunity to check out this great light Hogo.

You are very welcome. It really is one of those lights you have to play with to appreciate. It certainly isn't for everyone, but you won't know unless you get to handle one.

mcm308

Enlightened
Me please!

I have never been able to pull the trigger on one of these but maybe this will change my tune! There has been quite a few ive seen over the years on this forum that I really wanted!

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast

JoeRodge

Newly Enlightened
I'm really excited to get my hands on it! It should be here by the 8th. Freaking out!!! Lol. Ive been wanting to try a rotary since thread HDS Systems #100000 (lol). Seriously though I have seen so many posts about these lights I was drueling to try one out. Specifically the rotary!

Edit: I hope I don't look greedy if I keep it the whole 5 days, lol. I need the full HDS experience! Haha.

mcm308

Enlightened
Can the rotary be fired with one hand? Or is it like most twisties that take two to tango? One of the reasons I prefer a pushbutton..

ven

Flashaholic
Yep, as with P, no issue, i find it pretty much spot on in the resistance stakes. Not too loose to accidentally move, not too tight to be a problem one handed.

Awesome UI, awesome light...................love it!

mraymer

Newly Enlightened
I had my time with the rotary and I've decided it's just not for me. Thank you very much for allowing me to handle one. I've said before, I'm a clicky guy and having the rotary for a couple of days hasn't changed that. The only twisty type light I currently own is a Sunwayman V11R. Admittedly, the HDS feels much more substantial and heavy duty compared to my V11R, but it also costs around four times as much. If twisty type lights are your thing, I highly recommend spending the money on an HDS though.

I noticed the one in the pass around has a torx screw as the stop pin where all of the photos I've seen use a simple Phillips head screw. The torx looks better, aesthetically. This should be standard going forward if it's not already.

When turning the rotary I didn't expect to be able to feel the fingers of the mechanism catch when moving between levels. It's not pronounced, but it's not smooth. My V11R doesn't have that, unless crud and pocket lint have gotten into it and then it's gritty. It's not bad on the HDS, just not what I expected.

I still think the light is very robust, but not as bomb proof as my clicky. If something where to fail on the rotary, I feel it would be the rotary tail. I think it would take less abuse than my clicky before a failure.

As with all HDS lights, the programming is top notch. Able to customize it exactly as you'd like. No complaints, nor differences, there.

Maybe it was just the two lights I have, but the button on the rotary felt more "squishy" than my clicky. This could vary from light to light I suppose, but the button on my clicky felt more like a clicky than the rotary pass around. The button on the rotary felt like it had more give to it. Not sure if this was just chance or is a result of the tails being different.

If you want to have multiple brightness selection controls for your light with quickly adjusted presets, get a rotary. I think I may like it more if the turning mechanism was towards the front of the light instead of the rear. Or even better, a sliding mechanism instead of one that turns.

As the pass around didn't have a clip, I can't comment on that. I do prefer a bezel down clip and as the rotary only supports a bezel up clip, I don't think I'd be a fan. More often than not, my light is just dropped into my pocket though so I can't dismiss the rotary based on this alone. It is just a bit longer than my clicky and that would affect pocket carry as well

Everybody has their preferences and for me, the clicky is my pick for EDC.

Last edited:

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good review! The Rotary isn't for everyone, but it's nice to play with it so you know from first hand experience.

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
I find it fascinating to read others thoughts and opinion about these lights from those who love the rotary to those who only pass on the rotary because they love pocket clips, those who would never use a pocket clip, those who would never use a rotary, the ones who want more throw, more flood, love warm, love cool, love neutral. Some want higher highs, some want lower lows. Some like strobes and flashy settings, some hate them. I've come to the conclusion if I designed a light it must be customizable or it can never appeal to everyone. And many of the preferences here are totally legitimate and it comes down to there is no right or wrong answer sometimes. It's personal preferences for a multitude of reasons.

A weird rant. Onward!

Last edited: